What's new

Donovan Mitchell Struggles

He has taken 21 shots from 10' - 19' this season. Thats an average of 2.6 shots per game.

He has averaged 20.1 shots per game. So, that means that 13% of his shots are not shots in the paint for from right at the 3 point line. For you math whizes out there that means 87% of his shots are from 20+ feet out or inside of 10 feet. So, yeah, thats wtf I am talking about.

He is also shooting 46.5% from 10 - 19 feet out which sounds pretty good. And, based on the eye test, when he hits a couple, he tends to get going.

So, wtf are you talking about?

I agree that donovan entering the game was the turning point. And gobert and bogdonovic. BUT... QUIN rode him regardless and Donovan trying to get hot from 25 feet isn't working.

He has taken 21 shots from 10' - 19' this season. Thats an average of 2.6 shots per game.

He has averaged 20.1 shots per game. So, that means that 13% of his shots are not shots in the paint for from right at the 3 point line. For you math whizes out there that means 87% of his shots are from 20+ feet out or inside of 10 feet. So, yeah, thats wtf I am talking about.

He is also shooting 46.5% from 10 - 19 feet out which sounds pretty good. And, based on the eye test, when he hits a couple, he tends to get going.

So, wtf are you talking about?

I agree that donovan entering the game was the turning point. And gobert and bogdonovic. BUT... QUIN rode him regardless and Donovan trying to get hot from 25 feet isn't working.

Good. Donovan’s defense is atrocious and his shooting is horrible no matter where he’s shooting from. May as well take the best shots analytically if you’re going to miss 70% of them anyway.

Last edited:
Good. Donovan’s defense is atrocious and his shooting is horrible no matter where he’s shooting from. May as well take the best shots analytically if you’re going to miss 70% of them anyway.
Doesn't Kawhi take a ton of shots that analytics would frown at? I'm okay with Don taking less than 3 shots a game from spots analytics would suggest he shouldn't as long as he's hitting them at a fair rate.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Every year he does this. And if you don’t believe that look it up. Rookie year he struggled had an amazing 2nd half and playoff. 2nd year had a tough couple months and then really took off was talked about in MVP talks. Last year the same as this year.

I don’t get it and question if the long practices at the beginning of the seasons wears on the team. But he will turn it around like always and everyone will be back to worshipping him. Nothing new.

Every year he does this. And if you don’t believe that look it up. Rookie year he struggled had an amazing 2nd half and playoff. 2nd year had a tough couple months and then really took off was talked about in MVP talks. Last year the same as this year.

I don’t get it and question if the long practices at the beginning of the seasons wears on the team. But he will turn it around like always and everyone will be back to worshipping him. Nothing new.
IIRC Hayward followed that same tendency while here as well.

I think his problem is that when he is missing, he starts forcing increasingly more difficult shots. He needs to give up the ball earlier when this is happening. He also needs to move without the ball better, though I'm not sure if his stationary positioning has more to do with Quin's offensive schemes. Anyone know if this is the case?

So, tonight, if you watched carefully donovan hit two simple elbow jumpers. Neither were forced. They were followed by a run of points and smiling and solid body language. He missed another that was forced.

It doesn't have to be 15 mid range shots. Just a couple to prime the pump when thats what the other team is giving you. It showed tonight.

I've had a few concussions myself, it can be hard to clear the fog. Perhaps he needs a little more time.

His shooting improves slightly after the break, but ts% still below league average. He's a chucker.