What's new

Donovan Mitchell Wins Second Rookie Of The Month Award

Hypothetical situation: let's say Donovan finishes the season averaging 20 PPG (seems likely). And let's say he loses ROY to Ben Simmons (legit chance this also happens).

Would that make Mitchell the first rookie to average 20 PPG and NOT win ROY? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time this has happened.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Melo lost ROY to Lebron while averaging 20 a game

Also Alonzo Mourning did it at 21pts a game. Shaw, I think won it that year. I will say he could be the first to lose it averaging 20 and the winner not averaging 20.

Hypothetical situation: let's say Donovan finishes the season averaging 20 PPG (seems likely). And let's say he loses ROY to Ben Simmons (legit chance this also happens).

Would that make Mitchell the first rookie to average 20 PPG and NOT win ROY? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a time this has happened.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Melo lost ROY to Lebron while averaging 20 a game

Also Alonzo Mourning did it at 21pts a game. Shaw, I think won it that year. I will say he could be the first to lose it averaging 20 and the winner not averaging 20.

Yes it would.

And look, Ben Simmons is doing incredible things and is equally deserving... but he's not a rookie. Just because he didn't play in a game doesn't mean he didn't spend a year with the team learning the playbook, practicing, meeting with trainers and engaging in strength training, etc. It's a complete fabrication to label him as a rookie.

This.
It’s ******** tbh

9 times out of 10 the highest scoring rookie wins the award. This could just be that one year unfortunately.