What's new

Dont Veto Neto

Hey guys, first post here. Just to make things clear, Raul is not related to this Jose Alves Neto coach. Actually, 'Neto' is not a surname. It means 'grandson' in portuguese and it's used the same way Americans use the numbers after the names of kids named after their fathers or grandfathers (RGIII, Glenn Robinson III). His father's name is Raul Togni Filho and 'Filho' means 'son' in portuguese, so you get what's the dynamics in Brazil.

So in a way, you could say Raul's name is Raul Togni III.

On the subject of the thread, i think it's doubtful that Raul ever comes to UTAH. There's no room for 3 young PG's. Also, with the years passing, it will be much more difficult to get Raul out of Europe as he is going to improve and get bigger contracts/paychecks (same situation as Tomic). Best case is to trade his rights while it still has any value.

Thanks for the info. I'd personally say that the best case scenario would be to sign him to a contract now, while his situation is wide open and have him play up in Idaho for the first year. Re-evaluate his role on the team and see where Burke/Exum are I their development. I think that it's likely that Burke gets traded at some point. If that happens, then the Jazz will be thankful they have Raul in the organization. . . even if it's just as a third PG.

They have cap space, a roster spot and need and a player who very much wants to be here. I'd bring him over right now and let they players compete for their jobs and minutes. The Jazz have more than one option if he's not ready yet. They could develop him themselves or send him down to their D-league team.

I think Neto is already better than Burke for this Jazz team.I know Exum is better for the Jazz. It makes me wonder why we act like losing Burke would be handing the team over to a couple stooges. There is nothing to gain from keeping Trey around. He actually has a little value for trade.Why do the Jazz think they can tame their young alfa male primadonnas to get along and play nice together.Let them fight it out on the court and see whose the best of the best. trade the loser who I think would be Burke.

Thanks for the info. I'd personally say that the best case scenario would be to sign him to a contract now, while his situation is wide open and have him play up in Idaho for the first year. Re-evaluate his role on the team and see where Burke/Exum are I their development. I think that it's likely that Burke gets traded at some point. If that happens, then the Jazz will be thankful they have Raul in the organization. . . even if it's just as a third PG.

They have cap space, a roster spot and need and a player who very much wants to be here. I'd bring him over right now and let they players compete for their jobs and minutes. The Jazz have more than one option if he's not ready yet. They could develop him themselves or send him down to their D-league team.
I agree. As much as it would be a "demotion" to have Raul running the Stampede offense, it would keep him sharp and within reach of Utah if a deadline deal is made. I don't see Burke as a long-term asset. He can't co-exist with Exum; that was evident during the 2nd game forward of SL. Trey comes down the court with tunnel vision: he looks for his shot first and then - sometimes, when he's not trying to get by two larger defenders - makes a pass. Meanwhile, our best playmaker stands over on the right waiting for a ball that never comes his way.

The play that told me all I needed was the crossover, spin, make the defender fall down and split the defenders move that Exum had. He won't struggle with his shooting any more than Trey's stellar 38%/33%. And he makes the passes Trey doesn't. I think your idea is precisely what the Jazz needs to do: Bring over Neto now and have him be the 3rd PG, with some time in Idaho to keep him sharp. Then Utah trades Burke at the deadline or next summer.