What's new

Dont Veto Neto

3 PG's with a total of 1 year of NBA experience? Don't think so. I like Neto, but it does not look like he fits at present.
Try not to get too caught up with worrying about experience.

For instance, earl watson, jamaal tinsley, JL3, milt palacio, jason hart, and john crotty all have more experience than raul neto.
But raul neto is probably a better player than those guys and he would be cheaper so you would probably want neto instead of them regardless of his lack of experience.

Vets dont have some majestic super vet power just cause they are old. Despite what corbin tried to teach us

I'm loving this made up controversy about Trey Burke being a negative to the team through his demeanor.
We have a superstar pup in the stable that we lucked out and got becuz Orlando screwed up and gave him to us.The jazz are in no position to not give in to Exum and his hints of pick me or him Utah. Trey isn't negative to the team in demeanor other than he is in a fight for his pg spot against a future star and will be too proud to play 2nd fiddle and want out.

Maybe that's not the ideal scenario, but it is what it is. Isn't there value in being able to evaluate 3 young players while they are simultaneously in front of your eyes for a season? My guess is the Jazz just don't like Neto all that much. He's essentially begging to come over...and last year would've been a great scenario where he could've came in on equal footing with Trey....didn't do it. Now it's more complicated.

Just sounds like too much inexperience to me, especially for PG. That would be pretty tough on Snyder, just trying to run a practice where none of the pg's know anything about the NBA. Lucas was horrid, but at least in practice the HC could say, "Hey, JL, show Dante how we do ............"

Just sounds like too much inexperience to me, especially for PG. That would be pretty tough on Snyder, just trying to run a practice where none of the pg's know anything about the NBA. Lucas was horrid, but at least in practice the HC could say, "Hey, JL, show Dante how we do ............"

I agree it's too much inexperience at PG, but helping Neto's case here(brazilians helping each other! lol), Neto has been playing pro ball for a while, it's not like he is a High School kid jumping straight to the NBA.

I believe he can adjust to the NBA just fine. The question here is, what should the Jazz do about Burke?

The problem is that is freaking nobody available who wants to be a 3rd PG and is a good vet.

https://hoopshype.com/free_agency/point_guards_2014.htm

Jamal Tinsley might be the best option. Shelvin Mack wants to play. Jordan Crawford isn't a PG and he wants to play. Ronnie Price? Luke Ridnour is available but he is good enough to play elsewhere.

Earl Watson?

Or do we just trust Burks, Hayward and Clark to be the emergency PG's.

So Raul is another Jazzman who will be playing FIBA this summer. It looks like he will be the back up pg for Brasil.

Brasil has an assistant coach named José Alves Neto, does anyone know if he isolated to Raul?

So Raul is another Jazzman who will be playing FIBA this summer. It looks like he will be the back up pg for Brasil.

Brasil has an assistant coach named José Alves Neto, does anyone know if he isolated to Raul?
Jose Alves Neto might be related to Raul at some level, but I can't find it.

His father is Raul Togni Filho. He played internationally for 20 years and was on the Brazilian National team, like his son. He's now a club basketball coach in Brazil. His younger son Gabriel Togni plays at Wentworth Military College.

https://www.wmadragons.com/news/2013/6/28/CMBskt_0628130728.aspx

If they can't coexist as starters, maybe Burke becomes the best backup pg in basketball. Not a bad career path at all

Sent from the JazzFanz app

If they can't coexist as starters, maybe Burke becomes the best backup pg in basketball. Not a bad career path at all

This right here. ^

If he gets an offer they won't match, let him go when RFA rolls around. . . but 2 competent PGs is better than 1. If they bring Neto over, it's because they believe in him filling a specific role. Considering that he's also a pass first pure PG, I would have figured Quin would have wanted him in the building sooner as opposed to later. Especially with his contract situation being wide open right now.

They should bring Neto over now because he currently does not have a buyout. If we don't bring him now and he re-signs with Lagun Aro GBC his new contract could have a hefty buyout, which may cause bringing him over in the future prohibitive to both Neto and the Jazz.

What you don't want is another Tomic situation where you have talent but never use it. Bring him over. If he is good as many think he is, keep him around and trade the weakest links. If he ends up a bust let him go. Having a backcourt of Exum, Neto and Burke would not be a bad thing. Let them all push each other and see who comes out on top.

I would agree with that, but if that is where Burke is heading I bet it takes him a few years to accept it. In the meantime, he is going to be unhappy, very unhappy.

I really don't see the problem everyone else does with Burke.

Honestly Burke would benefit from coming off the bench as our sixth man. He's a score first point guard and if we start Burk at SG the Burke would be the primary offensive option off the bench against less athletic competition.

As Exum grows and the team plays together team chemistry will grow. Exum and Trey have only played five games together in a brand new system. Exums pass first mentality and athletic ability also benefits Treys play style. The other teams quickest player will have to guard Dante helping hide Burke's lack of athletic ability. Dante slashing ability will also give Trey more space for his jump shot which should help his FG% climb. I see good things with these two playing together.

Minutes are hard to come by. If we bring over Neto, rotation would probably look like this:

Burke 22 Exum 10 Neto 10
Burks 28 Hayward 5 Exum 10
Hayward 25 Hood 15 Novak 11
Kanter 28 Booker 20
Favors 30 Gobert 18

Do we want him to barely 10 minutes at NBA or 28-30 Minutes in Spain? And three PGs that will probably contribute around the same level is hard to manage for every coach let alone one trying develop players.

And you want to play Exum at PG as much as you can, bringing Neto would prevent that.

Ps. People who already gave up on Burke are numbnuts. Thanks.

22+10+10= 42 pg mins lol
28+05+10= 43 sg mins lol
25+15+11= 51 sf mins lol
28+20 = 48 pf mins good job!
30+18 = 48 c mins good job!

22+10+10= 42 pg mins lol
28+05+10= 43 sg mins lol
25+15+11= 51 sf mins lol
28+20 = 48 pf mins good job!
30+18 = 48 c mins good job!

Lol I edited the minutes and must have ****ed it up somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. I can say that I have never been good at maths, though.

This right here. ^

If he gets an offer they won't match, let him go when RFA rolls around. . . but 2 competent PGs is better than 1. If they bring Neto over, it's because they believe in him filling a specific role. Considering that he's also a pass first pure PG, I would have figured Quin would have wanted him in the building sooner as opposed to later. Especially with his contract situation being wide open right now.

Not a chance Burke goes quietly into the night. As a top=10 pick, he's going to want a starting job and he's going to want to get paid after his rookie deal is up. If Neto comes over he gets zero minutes. They won't do that.

I think Burke will start and play 28-30 mins. Exum will back him up and play 18-20 initially. As Exum's conditioning improves, he might play a bit more and Trey a little less. I'll bet they rarely play together (perhaps 5 mins/per). If Dante is ready to be a starting PG by the trade deadline, maybe Burke gets dealt. My guess is Trey will be part of a draft day or July deal next year. And then Neto will come over as a backup.

For this season, I think they really don't need a 3rd PG. Clark or Burks can play the point in a pinch. And if someone gets hurt, Jazz just sign the best D-League PG to come in.

Burke (30); Exum (18)
Burks (30); Hayward (8) Felix (10)
Hayward (24); Hood (24)
Kanter (28); Novak (10); Booker (10)
Favors (30); Gobert (18)

Haven't even put in minutes for Evans. And actual per game avgs will be higher due to injuries.

IMO, Hood has changed the dynamics a bit. He merits a LOT of playing time NOW. So that moves Hayward back to SG for 8-10 mins, which means Exum won't need to play behind Burks. And that's a good thing...Dante needs to concentrate on being a PG for now. Maybe in the future he can play SG a bit when his shooting improves.

I don't think we will ever see Neto in a Jazz uni. I hope we do, but I seriously doubt it.

Lol I edited the minutes and must have ****ed it up somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. I can say that I have never been good at maths, though.

You do make a good point though. There just isn't much room for Neto right now.

Jose Alves Neto might be related to Raul at some level, but I can't find it.

His father is Raul Togni Filho. He played internationally for 20 years and was on the Brazilian National team, like his son. He's now a club basketball coach in Brazil. His younger son Gabriel Togni plays at Wentworth Military College.

https://www.wmadragons.com/news/2013/6/28/CMBskt_0628130728.aspx

Hey guys, first post here. Just to make things clear, Raul is not related to this Jose Alves Neto coach. Actually, 'Neto' is not a surname. It means 'grandson' in portuguese and it's used the same way Americans use the numbers after the names of kids named after their fathers or grandfathers (RGIII, Glenn Robinson III). His father's name is Raul Togni Filho and 'Filho' means 'son' in portuguese, so you get what's the dynamics in Brazil.

So in a way, you could say Raul's name is Raul Togni III.

On the subject of the thread, i think it's doubtful that Raul ever comes to UTAH. There's no room for 3 young PG's. Also, with the years passing, it will be much more difficult to get Raul out of Europe as he is going to improve and get bigger contracts/paychecks (same situation as Tomic). Best case is to trade his rights while it still has any value.

Hey guys, first post here. Just to make things clear, Raul is not related to this Jose Alves Neto coach. Actually, 'Neto' is not a surname. It means 'grandson' in portuguese and it's used the same way Americans use the numbers after the names of kids named after their fathers or grandfathers (RGIII, Glenn Robinson III). His father's name is Raul Togni Filho and 'Filho' means 'son' in portuguese, so you get what's the dynamics in Brazil.

So in a way, you could say Raul's name is Raul Togni III.

On the subject of the thread, i think it's doubtful that Raul ever comes to UTAH. There's no room for 3 young PG's. Also, with the years passing, it will be much more difficult to get Raul out of Europe as he is going to improve and get bigger contracts/paychecks (same situation as Tomic). Best case is to trade his rights while it still has any value.