What's new

Draft mistakes

Diamond77

Rebuilding mistakes

I think that this team has been rebuilt bad. There are not complementary players in our starting 5.

The Jazz rebuilt this team almost exclusively relying on the draft...so mistakes were not allowed.

We took Kanter when we had Favors on the team...similar players! We needed a guard with shooting ability but we took Burks that can't shoot and defend.
We moved up in a weak draft to take a decent pg like Burke and this year we drafted another point guard disavowing the Burke choice. The only fitting choice from the draft seems to have been Hayward.

Maybe it was better to rebuild this team relying on the free agency as well to cover the shortcomings!
Same story being passive with trades...letting the main players expiring their contracts without getting something in exchange.

In addition we gave up too easily to players like Korver, Carroll, Matthews etc...being afraid to overpay them!

This team needs players that excel at fundamentals skills.

Last edited:
I see it diffrntly.

We couldn't have gotten Klay, he went a spot before Alec. Kawhi was skipped by 14 other teams for the same reason.

Enes was BPA at that spot. No one knew if Jonas would come over and play for us/ when. Favors and Kanter were thought to be a good combo of offense/defense. It could still be. They honestly haven't seen a lot of time together for how long they've been teammates. I think Kanter can slim down some more with a healthy offseason, and therefore be better suited to gaurd PF's. He is currently 20 pts and 10 rebs per 36. Wouldn't call him a bust.

The Burke selection is the one that frustrates me. I get that he was the best PG available for our old system, but that draft was so bad that I was hoping we would've swung for the fences with Giannis or Schroeder.

I agree somewhat.

I don't like that we have let so many good players leave for nothing.

Not all draft picks have been bad though.

And also, this is just gonna have to take some time.

I think a future core of....

Hayward
Favors
Gobert
& Exum

Will be pretty good.

Who knows. Maybe we get the next great player in this next draft.

No one said rebuilding from the draft would equal success overnight. This type of rebuild is a long process.

I like the way the Milwaukee Bucks rebuilt....moving smart on the draft, trading, developing some players and acquiring shooters. I think they will be the surprise in the Eastern Conference.

This thread is

Hindsight makes these arguments worthless. Kanter was largely considered a top 3 prospect for the same reasons that Exum was. Ridiculously talented young player that nobody knew much about. There was no talk about Klay Thompson in the top 5. The big debate for the Jazz was between Enes Kanter and Brandon Knight.

I personally wanted both Kahwi Leonard and Giannis Antetokounmpo over Burks and Burke, but I don't remember a lot of other people banging those drums (and I'm still a big fan of Alec Burks.)

Every team makes mistakes, but I think overall that the Jazz do better than most. I do wish they had the Greek Freak to team with Gobert, Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks, Exum and Hood. That would be a bad-*** core to build around.

Still think the Hayward contract offer will bite us.

Let's say Hayward proves he is worth 15-6/year. (That number may be higher in a few years).

The biggest risk is Hayward can now opt out and be a FA in only 3 years (this being year 1).

I have a feeling he will go to a contender ahead of staying where you never make the playoffs......

Trey was perfect for Corbin's offensive system last year where he dominated the ball, everything was run through him and played really well considering what he had to work with. He's just not a very good fit for Quin's system.

Hindsight makes these arguments worthless. Kanter was largely considered a top 3 prospect for the same reasons that Exum was. Ridiculously talented young player that nobody knew much about. There was no talk about Klay Thompson in the top 5. The big debate for the Jazz was between Enes Kanter and Brandon Knight.

I personally wanted both Kahwi Leonard and Giannis Antetokounmpo over Burks and Burke, but I don't remember a lot of other people banging those drums (and I'm still a big fan of Alec Burks.)

Every team makes mistakes, but I think overall that the Jazz do better than most. I do wish they had the Greek Freak to team with Gobert, Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks, Exum and Hood. That would be a bad-*** core to build around.

Yes it is too easy to speak with the hindsight. But I don't speak only about the drafts...Jazz have been passive in the free agency/trades in the last years.

Concerning the drafts, I think the Jazz should have taken Valanciunas at that time...but it is very probable that he would have stayed in Europe like Tomic.

It was almost impossible to predict that Kahwi Leonard would have become so strong.

Yes, just imagine if we had Giannis Antetokounmpo at 2...

Last edited:
Trey was perfect for Corbin's offensive system last year where he dominated the ball, everything was run through him and played really well considering what he had to work with. He's just not a very good fit for Quin's system.

He wouldn't be a good fit for any system. Burke stinks. Sorry homers but it's true.

He wouldn't be a good fit for any system. Burke stinks. Sorry homers but it's true.

He was 2nd in the rookie of the year voting, not being a homer but he was at least decent under that system with the ball in his hand 90% of the time.

Now he's more or less reduced to dribbling up the court, 'some' pick and roll, and catch & shoot.

Since we are still in the middle of rebuilding, kind of hard to make any hard judgement. The draft is always hit and miss, so I don't get too much into second guessing draft picks. If there was a mistake made, it was failing to accept a full rebuild during the lockout year. Had the right decision been made that year, I believe our rebuild is in a much better spot at this point. But hey, then we wouldn't have had the advantage of our players learning from 4 extra games. Can't image how bad our players might be if they hadn't played those 4 games.

Screw you doubters. We got Exum and a whole potful of complementary players mostly under contract and all under 25 for the next few years. Anything we did differently along the way screws that up. Still not convinced Glannis knows how to play basketball. . .

I agree somewhat.

I don't like that we have let so many good players leave for nothing.

Not all draft picks have been bad though.

And also, this is just gonna have to take some time.

I think a future core of....

Hayward
Favors
Gobert
& Exum

Will be pretty good.

Who knows. Maybe we get the next great player in this next draft.

No one said rebuilding from the draft would equal success overnight. This type of rebuild is a long process.
Winslow!