What's new

Draft Prospects: Where you got it right, and where you got it wrong

SoberasHotRod

This thread is to brag about which draft prospect you were most right about and admit which draft prospect you were most wrong about.

Don’t post a whole list of prospects, just who you think you were most right about and who you were most wrong about.

I’ll go first:

The only draft I really got in to was 2014. I spent a lot of time reading draft sites and watching videos. I watched a lot of college basketball that year since I knew the Jazz would have a high draft pick.

Where I got it Right: Dante Exum – I thought he would be a bust. I thought he didn’t have enough lift or explosion to finish at the rim in the NBA.

Where I got it Wrong: Jabari Parker – I thought he would have a couple NBA scoring titles by now.

PG over Hayward and Kawhi over Burks.

Got it wrong on Kanter and Semi Ojeleye over Mitchell.

Wanted Giannis in the worst way. Was SO pissed that we drafted Burke.

Biggest miss would probably be Devin Booker. Wanted Oubre after Turner went off the board.

Last edited:
Wrong - I thought Cole Aldrich would be a good player. I thought he would be an NBA starter for a while. He had a 9 year NBA career, but he was simply a journeyman big.

Right - I threw something when we took Burks over Kawhi. Like literally threw the TV remote, my cell phone, my young child. Something. I'm still pissed to this day. He was completely different than anything we had ever had - humble super athletic kid from a rough upbringing in LA.

I thought Hayward was gonna be pretty average. I thought Burke was gonna be good. In more recent years... Elie Okobo was really disappointing to me. Denzel Valentine was a guy I was high on... wasn't super wrong but he's not what I hoped. D'Angelo Russell was a guy I loved... he's been good at times but I thought he could be really good. He's kinda turned into a good player bad team guy which sucks. I thought Frank Kaminsky would be good... he's not awful but not what I had hoped. And Wade Baldwin... **** I thought that guy had a chance to be good and never thought he'd just straight be out of the league.

Where I was right... thought Bradley was bad, Desmond Bane last year, Loved Rudy and Donovan. Hated the Lyles pick and wanted Booker. Liked Josh Hart and Derrick White. As soon as I saw Exum as a rookie I was so puzzled and would have liked to have a re-do. As a draft prospect I had no idea though.

I thought Bam Adebayo should be a lottery pick in 2017 when he was being mocked in the 2nd round. I didn't predict he'd be an All Star though.
I thought Rudy Gobert would likely be better than Alex Len.
I liked Chuma Okeke as a 1st-rd pick when he was mocked as a 2nd rounder.
I thought Donovan Mitchell would be able to score like CJ McCollum.
I wasn't as high on Aaron Gordon as most people were, mostly because he just couldn't shoot.
I had concerns about Andrew Wiggins because he couldn't dribble.

I've been wrong about several guys:
-- thought Jerome Robinson had the potential to be close to Jamal Murray
-- thought Archie Goodwin could have been an impact player
-- I liked Paul George over Gordon Hayward in 2010, but I also thought Wesley Johnson should be a top-5 pick.
-- I thought Derrick Williams would be good in 2011.
-- I thought Mario Hezonja had more natural talent as a scorer than Gordon Hayward.

Last edited:
I thought Bam Adebayo should be a lottery pick in 2017 when he was being mocked in the 2nd round. I didn't predict he'd be an All Star though.
I wasn't as high on Aaron Gordon as most people were, mostly because he just couldn't shoot.

-- I liked Paul George over Gordon Hayward in 2010, but I also though Wesley Johnson should be a top-5 pick
That's pretty good about Bam. I never liked Derrick Williams.

Wrong - I thought Cole Aldrich would be a good player. I thought he would be an NBA starter for a while. He had a 9 year NBA career, but he was simply a journeyman big.

Right - I threw something when we took Burks over Kawhi. Like literally threw the TV remote, my cell phone, my young child. Something. I'm still pissed to this day. He was completely different than anything we had ever had - humble super athletic kid from a rough upbringing in LA.
I liked Kawhi, but never thought he would become a great offensive player.

I thought Rudy Gobert would probably be better than Alex Len.
I thought Thomas Bryant was a rotational big when he was picked in the mid-2nd round.

-- I liked Paul George over Gordon Hayward in 2010, but I also thought Wesley Johnson should be a top-5 pick.
-- I thought Mario Hezonja had more natural talent as a scorer than Gordon Hayward.
Yeah, I thought Wesley Johnson was going to be solid. I thought Derrick Williams was gonna be a stud.

I hated the Raul Lopez pick and thought we should have grabbed Tinsley or Parker. Management and media somehow swindled me on drinking the Kool Aid while he was over in Europe recovering from an ACL.

I thought Stevenson would be good. Not because I actually saw anything from him that I thought would be good, but just because "he came out of high school and of course he's going to be an all-star after a few years like [insert other high school draftee]!"

For a year in advance, I really wanted Emeka Okafor. And at the time (the summer before) it looked like we'd be competing for a top pick.

Oh and the one guy I really wanted from the 2013 draft was Burke. Burke and Kanter were the two guys I really wanted that we drafted. I wanted Kawhi if we couldn't get Kanter (before we jumped up in the lottery).

Damn, I do remember how excited I was watching the lottery drawing and when they skipped us at like 7 or whatever, knowing we moved into the top 3.

I have never been as happy after a draft as I was when we traded up for Trey Burke. That was literally best case scenario out of the entire draft for me and it actually happened.

I have never been as happy after a draft as I was when we traded up for Trey Burke. That was literally best case scenario out of the entire draft for me and it actually happened.
I was the exact opposite for Burke, but had that type of giddy excitement when we traded up for Gobert.

I pegged Burke, Exum and Lyles all as draft busts. Wanted nothing to do with any of them.

Before he got more popular, I was telling everybody some little point guard from Weber State was the truth. A lot of people liked Kendall Marshall and Austin Rivers better. I also thought Marshall sucked, but people LOVED him. Got those right.

I thought Wade Baldwin would be at least as good as George Hill. That was pretty bad.

Before he got more popular, I was telling everybody some little point guard from Weber State was the truth. A lot of people liked Kendall Marshall and Austin Rivers better. I also thought Marshall sucked, but people LOVED him. Got those right.

I thought Wade Baldwin would be at least as good as George Hill. That was pretty bad.
I was most pissed about the GSW tanking pick because I wanted Lillard.

I might spend some time and go back and look. Feel like I’ve done well but maybe not.
I think I wanted Batum—I’ve been around that long. Wanted Morris Almond, as most of us did. I forget what else.

I haven’t paid any attention to the draft in several years now, so these are old takes.

Biggest misses:
Stanley Johnson
Wade Baldwin

Biggest hits:
CJ McCollum
Jabari Parker (knew he’d bust)
Gary Harris
Josh Richardson