What's new

Draper Having Issues (and other Utah housing/flooding related issues)

Did you see this?

View: https://twitter.com/jeremynef/status/1649657822127464456?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

Two different homes up above Draper/into suncrest.

Consequences of building homes on a mountain made of sand

Gonna be lots of flooding after the heavy snow pack. We're going to see that in California too.

Gonna be lots of flooding after the heavy snow pack. We're going to see that in California too.
So far we've been a little lucky. We had three warm days, upper 70s and then it got chilly again. About a week later it warmed up again, low 70s, and now it's downright cold. This sawtooth pattern, warm up, cool down, is supposedly the best case scenario. All it's gonna take is a week in the 80s with a few upper 80s days and we're probably in for it.

So far we've been a little lucky. We had three warm days, upper 70s and then it got chilly again. About a week later it warmed up again, low 70s, and now it's downright cold. This sawtooth pattern, warm up, cool down, is supposedly the best case scenario. All it's gonna take is a week in the 80s with a few upper 80s days and we're probably in for it.
We've been in the 90s for a few days now. But the snow is still on the mountain top. But they are talking about possible flooding once it gets going.

My favorite part of that was it was built by Edge Homes.
LOL. Which part? Build with edge, buy a home on the edge of the mountain, then don’t be surprised if half your home ends up falling off the edge? Or the part where the buyer thought the edge home would actually last beyond 3 weeks?

I don’t know if anyone lives near this area, but I have no idea what people building on suncrest or on the widow maker are thinking. I get it, we’re all wanting a home and land is a premium. But… those areas weren’t developed for a hundred years for a reason. If you’re building in a place called “Hidden Canyon” don’t be surprised if your home falls off the edge.

Frankly, I’m surprised we aren’t seeing more of this in NSL, Bountiful, and Traverse.

We've been in the 90s for a few days now. But the snow is still on the mountain top. But they are talking about possible flooding once it gets going.
I’ve never seen so much snow in Utah. My trees are about 3 weeks behind last year’s bloom. So we’ve been fortunate (so far) that we haven’t had normal temps that would melt that snow right off the mountain. At this point last year, I was planting flowers and mowing. My crabapples were in full bloom. LOL. I still had some snow on the ground last Sunday and my crabapples just barely started to bud.

Both of these homes had been condemned by Draper city last year because of the unsafe soil conditions. They were less than two years old. Edge Homes had bought one of them back, and working toward a resolution on the other. But the families still lost a crap ton of their stuff. Now the homes on either side of them have been evacuated as well. Scary **** happening.

Both of these homes had been condemned by Draper city last year because of the unsafe soil conditions. They were less than two years old. Edge Homes had bought one of them back, and working toward a resolution on the other. But the families still lost a crap ton of their stuff. Now the homes on either side of them have been evacuated as well. Scary **** happening.
So they were condemned but occupied? Maybe I need to brush up on what condemned actually means in a legal sense.

The house was on the edge of a gully, or what I guess would be called a gully. Then it fell over the edge into the gully.

Ah, okay. Didn’t know if it was more than that and the Construction company is run by known scumbags who really cut corners. Or edges even.

Ah, okay. Didn’t know if it was more than that and the Construction company is run by known scumbags who really cut corners. Or edges even.
Well, that is a Utah thing. Real-estate developers make up like 90% of our state legislature and they are generally scumbags doing good ol' boy deals and passing favorable laws for themselves.

Well, that is a Utah thing. Real-estate developers make up like 90% of our state legislature and they are generally scumbags doing good ol' boy deals and passing favorable laws for themselves.

Dr. Jones, I presume?

So they were condemned but occupied? Maybe I need to brush up on what condemned actually means in a legal sense.
These two were unoccupied, but they hadn’t been allowed back in to get all their stuff.

These two were unoccupied, but they hadn’t been allowed back in to get all their stuff.
Their stuff has been in there since last year? That’s crazy.

IMG_7725.jpeg
IMG_7722.jpeg
IMG_7726.jpeg
Drove up there today. You can’t see really anything remaining of one house. Just the driveway. The second house has been gutted and most of it has fallen off the cliff. What’s eerie is that the two houses next to them have been evacuated but you can see that their lights are on, garbages are full, etc so obviously most of their stuff is probably still inside. There’s insulation scattered all over the neighborhood. I can’t imagine anyone there is sleeping well at night. But then again, I’m not sure why they bought up there? Their homes don’t have backyards because the entire neighborhood is built on the cliff.