What's new

Dwill quote - seriously?

What about them?

I just thought it was interesting to hear what Deron was thinking & feeling. He is being portrayed as Judas Iscariot and the poster boy for all that is wrong in the NBA. He is called arrogant, cocky, disrespectful.... We all have an opinion too and even though he's been in Utah for what 6 years(?) and we all can quote his assists stats and fg% and his salary per minute played do any of us really know Deron? Reading this made me think that Deron may be more human than we're comfortable admiting.

“I’m a little drained,” Williams said. “God does everything for a reason.”

But he isn’t sure what that reason is right now. A vulnerable Williams spent a postgame interview Friday holding a Christian book in his hands, Derwin L. Gray’s Hero: Unleashing God’s Power in a Man’s Heart.

The novel is written for those who feel as if they have a hole in their soul — those who have relied on poor directions that eventually led to unwanted destinations.
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51239946-76/williams-jazz-sloan-deron.html.csp

When players can dictate where they go... Hate to see that happen.

Joseph-stalin3.gif

Comrades, IAWTP.

Can you really blame the players for wanting to play in a larger market? Can you really blame Deron for wanting to win? This is an issue the Owners and the NBA need to fix. If I were a player such as Deron I would want to go to LA as well. He has 10 times the chances to get endorsements and advertising deals in LA as opposed to Utah. So we are expecting him to lose money to play next to Raja Bell and Gordan Hayward or double his income and play with Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. Honestly, if you were in his SHOE's (not a fans) where would you go? Also keep in mind you are considered lucky to get 10 years in this league. So you have a pretty short lifespan before they NBA tosses you into the street.

A thrifty person could live a good life on what a scrub makes in a year or two.
After you've got $100 million, I really can't imagine how your life would be much improved with a little more. It seems more of an ego thing.

Can you really blame the players for wanting to play in a larger market? Can you really blame Deron for wanting to win? This is an issue the Owners and the NBA need to fix. If I were a player such as Deron I would want to go to LA as well. He has 10 times the chances to get endorsements and advertising deals in LA as opposed to Utah. So we are expecting him to lose money to play next to Raja Bell and Gordan Hayward or double his income and play with Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. Honestly, if you were in his SHOE's (not a fans) where would you go? Also keep in mind you are considered lucky to get 10 years in this league. So you have a pretty short lifespan before they NBA tosses you into the street.

I think one answer to this is minor league contraction. Cut down by two or three teams in each conference. The talent gets more concentrated (i.e. players like Fes and Koufos and Palacio and others get worked out of the league), and each team becomes more competetive. The Miami Sell-outs situation becomes less of an issue and it is a little easier to build a team around a player like Deron that can compete, whereas now the top-level players can just concentrate themselves into a handful of teams while the rest field a starting lineup with a Giricek and a McLeod as the starting back court and a Mikki Moore as the starting center.

The big drawback is how to contract the league? I think they should do it by how well the organization has been run over a past period of time, by developing a formula that takes the age of the franchise and all the years they have been around into account. Something to include profitability, calculated value, seasonal and playoff success, etc.

Or, more simply, just drop the 4-6 "newest" teams, like this:

Charlette Bobcats 2004
Memphis Grizzlies 1995
Toronto Raptors 1995
Minnesota Timberwolves 1989
Orlando Magic 1989
New Orleans Hornets 1988
Miami Heat 1988

Only 2 or 3 of these have had all that much success really, and Orlando and Miami are the only ones to get to the finals. Miami is the lone Championship winner, so take that one out of the mix and you eliminate the rest. Done and done. Spread the wealth around and the league automatically gets better without being crippled by too few teams to maintain national interest.

Jazz fans I think would be wise to avoid any discussion of contraction, least Utah becomes a target. Utah is routinley voted as most hated, least favorite, last place I want to play by the players. I guess that the Millers have fewer friends and allies among the other owners now that Larry is gone. And is probably seen as vulnerable now that the legend and the two statues are gone.

Jazz fans I think would be wise to avoid any discussion of contraction, least Utah becomes a target. Utah is routinley voted as most hated, least favorite, last place I want to play by the players. I guess that the Millers have fewer friends and allies among the other owners now that Larry is gone. And is probably seen as vulnerable now that the legend and the two statues are gone.

Not that it matters, but the bleach report thinks we would be more than safe.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/569797-nba-contraction-ranking-all-30-teams-in-likeliness-of-removal-from-league#page/7

Link?