What's new

Dwill quote - seriously?

udflyer

""I don't like being in the spotlight," Williams said, "and this put a lot of attention on me and I don't like it.""

I've been thinking about this since Sloan resigned.

IMO we need to rebuild with a different leader than Dwill

From day 1 when ripping Hayward in public to always whining about the team after losses he doesn't want to say anything to anybody or he will be the bad guy

This quote blows my mind especially when he was a major factor, IMO

Dwill is a great #2 guy, like Pippen who needed Jordan

Did Stockton and Malone like being in the media spotlight? I have no doubt in my mind Dwill wants to be in spotlight for one thing, winning. I interpret this quote as he doesnt feel comfortable in the media for negative things. Lebron James can handle it, but Dwill cant.

Maybe i am too old, but I do not like the NBA being led by players. When players can dictate where they go like melo, small smart teams like Utah will not have players. The NBA will turn into large market teams only.

Hate to see that happen.

Hard Cap, Franchise Player, and 10,000,000 per year max salarys. Solves basically all the NBA's problems.

""I don't like being in the spotlight," Williams said, "and this put a lot of attention on me and I don't like it.""

That was a pretty random association between the two. "I don't like all of this (negative) attention" = Not a leader. Not sure how you wound up there so quickly.

Yep. If not, the NBA will become what MLB is. We would become the Kansas City Royals of the NBA.

From day 1 when ripping Hayward in public to always whining about the team after losses he doesn't want to say anything to anybody or he will be the bad guy

This quote blows my mind especially when he was a major factor, IMO

Dwill is a great #2 guy, like Pippen who needed Jordan

To me this is good for the Jazz. Because he definitely has less spotlight on him here than say if he went to the Laker's or Knicks. Dwill is not the best personality to have as the leader of your team. You need an outgoing guy that has respect of the players and can also communicate with them.

That said he can still be the #1 guy on a team if you have another 1A guy that can be more of the leader off of the court and in the locker room.

Hard Cap, Franchise Player, and 10,000,000 per year max salarys. Solves basically all the NBA's problems.

I agree. But it will never happen. The league likes giving the advantage to big market teams. It's good for their bottom line. And that is all that they care about.

Agreed.

Plus if you miss more than a certain amount of games, you should only get 1/2 your salary for those game. Almost like LTD in corporate America.

I have no problems with challenging your coach, i do have a problem with blatantly not running his plays.

Coach will be accountable And get fired, at leasy show him respect.

If I did this at my job, i would be written up then fired. I do not care how good you are, if there was a progressive discipline path that led to bein ousted from the league, I think players attitudes will change. It is an honor to be in this league and it is not treated as such.

Look at Hayward. I think we agree he will at worst be a solid player, maybe not an all start but solid.

He got his chance due to his visibility at butler, a tiny school.

There are a bunch of kids who i think can play in this league but are never given a chance because small school no exposure

But anyone can be a leader when things go well.

True leaders lead when times are tough.

Maybe i am too old, but I do not like the NBA being led by players. When players can dictate where they go like melo, small smart teams like Utah will not have players. The NBA will turn into large market teams only.

Hate to see that happen.

These 3 said it all. Well done.

Tough thing about the NBA and other professional sports is that it is simultaneously a tv show, a sporting event, and a business. The players are the stars and are who we pay to see (tv show), the game must be played at a high level or we won't pay for the entertainment (sporting event: think of the cavs this year or about the clippers any year they didn't have Griffin), but it has to be run like a business so the company makes money and it does not devolve into just a great big production of and1 (the coaches and F.O.). That is a tough thing to balance. But in the end, if it isn't run something like a business the product (the sporting event) will suffer and ultimately the show will be canceled. They have to take care of the stars of the show but not to the detriment of the business or the sporting event product. However, just like a TV show if the actors control everything there won't be a coherent story line, and the series will crumble.

The NBA in the next CBA definitely needs to get a salary structure and some protection for teams from player collusion, just like the players need protection against team collusion and deserve fair proportion of profits. That is a tough assignment. I hope they get there. Recent precedent with the Miami Sell-outs and Carmello-gate do not bode well for the NBA in the future under the current parameters.

I see nothing inconsistent with what Deron said. Compared to most players of his caliber, he doesn't strike me as someone that needs a lot of attention. He wants to win and he lets his emotions show every once in a while, that's all. He's not the greatest leader in the world, but he's not the worst, either.

I do agree that we need another all star quality player. It's hard to attract them to Utah, though.

I agree. But it will never happen. The league likes giving the advantage to big market teams. It's good for their bottom line. And that is all that they care about.
I think you are wrong here, look at what their biggest-market team did over the last few years - the New York Knicks unashamedly offered up a sub-standard product due to their merciless salary dumping in pursuit of LBJ's signature. They ended up with Amare and Felton instead, so they are at least decent this year, but their years of mediocrity could not have been good for the Knicks' bottom line. Would they have done that knowing they couldn't get either LBJ or Amare?

My other thoughts on this matter: There is also the effect the Douchision has on the "integrity" (term used under advisement) of the Draft. Cleveland tanked unmercilessly in order to give themselves the best chance at landing LBJ in the draft. Their reward is a single Finals appearance, the loss their star player for nothing except an effectively worthless trade exception, and a return to exactly where they were before his arrival, last-place mediocrity. And over the years, many, many other teams have had to endure the "Where will he go when his contract expires?" speculation with their star players. It happened with Duncan and the Spurs, it happened with the Cavs and LBJ and us and Bozzer and the Suns and Amare, etc, etc, this year its Melo, and we're also getting chatter already about CP3, DWill, Dwight Howard, etc, etc years before their contracts expire. Why are the sports pages filled with this stuff instead of the actual product on the floor?

The other thing the new rules will hopefully stop is this foolishness about trading players because of their contracts. Remember how Raef LaFrentz was always talked about as a valuable trade chip because of his contract, even though he hadn't played for years. We traded away Maynor just to get rid of Harpring's contract. Toronto hung onto Stojakovic for ages in case they could use his contract (as distinct from him) in a trade. Dampier's unique contract was the subject of so many articles over summer because IT was valuable even though he was worth so little as a player. We all know about AK's contract. And so on.

Winning basketball games does not go hand in hand with wanting attention. Just because he said he doesn't like the attention doesn't mean he can't handle it. Dude was the 3rd overall pick after going to the National Championship game, he's one of the best point guards in the league, he's been to the playoffs and is a two-time all-star. He can handle attention just fine.

I realize a lot of people here are all doom and gloom about the state of the team, and I realize that people are placing blame on Deron for Sloan's departure and are already assuming that the guy has one foot out the door. I'm not saying that I think he's going to stay or even saying that he's not partially to blame for retiring a hall of fame coach. But cut the guy just a little bit of slack, stop picking apart every little tiny quote and trying to make a big deal out of it.

These quotes come from him fielding live questions, he's not trying to leave cryptic messages everywhere. He's a basketball player, not the ****ing Riddler.

Not surprised at all by DWill's comment; when he shared leadership with Boozer, Boozer was usually the guy talking with the media, not DWill. It's obvious from his manner at interviews DWill would rather not be talking to the media.
Also, not having someone to consistantly share the scoring burden with (again, Boozer was always option 1, right or wrong) combined with his burning desire to win are leading him into the quick-fix mentality of playing one-on-one basketball a-la Kobe and trying to do it all himself. His teammates simply need to step up their games. He is gonna need their help to get the Jazz turned around, plain and simple.