What's new

El Paso Shooting

Tell that to the victims and their families when it's not a white supremacist.

A terrorist is a ****ing terrorist regardless of skin color.
Using different methods of organizing and execution, and vastly different ways of being seen by the general public and our law enforcement agencies.

For example, white supremacists have a long history of deliberately infiltrating law enforcement by joining it.

There’s a reason the narrative around this **** is so different and that difference actually means something whether you want to believe that or not.

I ask in all earnestness, what is really the solution? Ban all guns? How do we remove those already in the hands of the public. Require people to turn them in? So let's just assume every single law-abiding American does so. What about the criminals, who are highly unlikely to turn theirs in, regardless of their skin color? House to house searches? But we can't profile anyone because that's racist, so we start at random? So we start in my neighborhood let's say. My 10 closest neighbors are 4 white families 3 Hispanic, 2 black, 1 Asian, so that seems ok. But all of my neighbors are law-abiding and we already assumed they turned theirs in.

I am not trying to say nothing should be done. I have just as of yet never seen or heard a truly viable plan for doing anything that would have any meaningful impact on the problem.

So seriously, what can we do? I've had a big discussion on this with some neighbors in my neighborhood, a mixed group. No one had any ideas that would realistically make a dent in these things without going full police-state.

@Gameface makes a great point, there is always another class of gun, they will just move down the list, or, let's cut the ********, they will get their guns illegally.

Again I'm asking in all earnestness, what do we do?

I ask in all earnestness, what is really the solution? Ban all guns? How do we remove those already in the hands of the public. Require people to turn them in? So let's just assume every single law-abiding American does so. What about the criminals, who are highly unlikely to turn theirs in, regardless of their skin color? House to house searches? But we can't profile anyone because that's racist, so we start at random? So we start in my neighborhood let's say. My 10 closest neighbors are 4 white families 3 Hispanic, 2 black, 1 Asian, so that seems ok. But all of my neighbors are law-abiding and we already assumed they turned theirs in.

I am not trying to say nothing should be done. I have just as of yet never seen a visible plan for doing anything that would have any meaningful impact on the problem.

So seriously, what can we do? I've had a big discussion on this with some neighbors in my neighborhood, a mixed group. No one had any ideas that would realistically make a dent in these things without going full police-state.

@Gameface makes a great point, there is always another class of gun, they will just move down the list, or, let's cut the ********, they will get their guns illegally.

Do what Sweden or Switzerland does; require mandated training to get a permit to own a gun. Require mental health evaluation to own a gun. Raise the bar on what is required to get a permit, which would likely mean raising the price and require going through the evaluations every couple of years.

You can own guns in other countries, they just take the owning of trigger-operated deadly force as seriously as it should be taken.

If people are gonna rise up, then they’ll remove themselves from the equation earlier than later. Those people are ticking time bombs anyway. If people skirt the law and continue to shoot people, what benefit is having more people have guns? The good guy with a gun theory is far more cute than it is a reliable safeguard, and the number of scenarios where guns save lives is vastly outweighed by decent people either making a lethal mistake, or having a moment of mental instability cost lives.

AGAIN, this shouldn’t be normalized or tolerated any longer. Tucker should be fired, trump should be impeached, Sen Coryn should be run out of office, gun regulation should be enacted, and no longer should we coddle these terrorists and extremist ideology.

I am not trying to say nothing should be done. I have just as of yet never seen or heard a truly viable plan for doing anything that would have any meaningful impact on the problem.

We have to start sometime, and though it is much too late, it is better than never.

Make them harder to purchase? Pretty easy really

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Racism is much more than using a slur. To support Trump is necessarily and unequivocally supporting racism. And what is a person that supports racism?
I disagree.
Some people support Trump cause he is a republican. No other reason than that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

But why punish all video game owners? You think you can ban all video games? There’s so many out there already!

We have to start sometime, and though it is much too late, it is better than never.
Start with what? Be specific. We've been hearing "we have to start somewhere" for a decade with basically zero actionable meaningful ideas on even where to start. So where do you think it should start?

I think additionally, with gun control, we need to disrupt white supremacist social media. Disrupting the distribution of their propaganda, destroying their online communities, and banning their leaders from public spheres is essential. 4chan and 8chan should be gone and Breitbart, Fox News, dailycaller, the blaze, and Drudge should be heavily monitored.

We need to stop the indoctrination of young white males while making it much harder for them to obtain weapons.

Just a few weeks ago cnn had Richard spencer on. Let’s stop normalizing these terrorists.

I disagree.
Some people support Trump cause he is a republican. No other reason than that.

I agree with this to an extent. Most Republicans do just want to win. But
I think additionally, with gun control, we need to disrupt white supremacist social media. Disrupting the distribution of their propaganda, destroying their online communities, and banning their leaders from public spheres is essential. 4chan and 8chan should be gone and Breitbart, Fox News, dailycaller, the blaze, and Drudge should be heavily monitored.

We need to stop the indoctrination of young white males while making it much harder for them to obtain weapons.

They are vulnerable to extremism because they have not inherited an authentic identity. So first give them that.

Secondly, censorship and repression will not help at all. It will just drive it underground.

Censorship and war didn’t stop the Mormons. It made them stronger.

Shared Trama galvanizes a group. It does not dissuade them.

Taking away guns that are near and dear to the hearts of this people will not stop the violence. Because it doesn’t stop the hatred.

Our approach needs to be more holistic than this. The job needs to be done right the first time.

You make changes knowing that not everything can be worked out overnight.

You absolutely have to change the culture around guns. Part of that is at least decreasing the sheer number of guns out there, whether owned legally or illegally. You don't have to take away people's guns, just make them harder to get from this point on, like Fish suggested.

The scary thing about most of the recent shootings is that they are by gunmen with a grudge against society killing random strangers in order to express their anger. This isn't a man angry at his coworkers or family or any of the victims. It's also not someone with psychotic delusions or voices telling him to kill. This is a "good guy with a gun" defending his country just like he's been told to over and over.

When you compare guns in the US and guns in any other country, it's hard not to be struck by how different the reasons for gun ownership are. I don't think people in other countries own guns because they believe themselves to be guardians of freedoms or a way of life or "civilization."

The white myth needs to be destroyed. We do this by abandoning it ourselves, and by laying hold on regional European identifiers to cultivate relatable identities.

Stop calling people white. They are not. There is no white race.

Get a DNA test if you have to start somewhere. Do some family history. We need to obliterate what we’ve become by digging back into what we were when our families arrived here.

I like the idea of your first paragraph. Every law abiding citizen turns in their guns. The criminals who didn't turn in their guns are now also criminals for having guns. They're just easier to spot now. This way, when someone has a gun without a uniform, nobody has to wonder if they're a good guy or a bad guy. They're a bad guy and you can immediately call the police. It's not hard. Take all the guns away.