What's new

Elijah Hughes to the Jazz

And whoever I am, it doesn’t have anything to do with the truth I stated.

What you said doesn’t have much to do with reality either.

I came here to read a few draft takes. I’ve been very disconnected. Not as obsessed as I was. I find the armchair GM’s amusing, that’s all. Perhaps I was too harsh and touched a nerve, my apologies.

I do not come here to dump and run, I just rarely have reason to come here. As you can see from my arrival, the discourse is still at an all time high. I will readily admit my part in this too. Just doesn’t seem healthy, which is one reason I’m not here as much.

Hope you’re doing well Naos.

I came here to read a few draft takes. I’ve been very disconnected. Not as obsessed as I was. I find the armchair GM’s amusing, that’s all. Perhaps I was too harsh and touched a nerve, my apologies.

I do not come here to dump and run, I just rarely have reason to come here. As you can see from my arrival, the discourse is still at an all time high. I will readily admit my part in this too. Just doesn’t seem healthy, which is one reason I’m not here as much.

Respect.

I appreciated how you and I usually found a way to hang out around here... despite coming from really different places. Was sad to see you enter a later career where it just felt like you took a dump and left. But I definitely understand the reasons for coming around less and less.

Come back and hit the crack pipe my man.

Syracuse doesn’t really run anything complicated offensively, and he was often tasked with creating shots for himself and teammates. That led to a lot of very difficult shots that he had to create on his own. No draft prospect had to create a higher percentage of his shots in isolation than Hughes did. Over 23 percent of his offensive possessions came out of isos, according to Synergy. That’s more than Grant Riller’s 16 percent, which was the second-most.
This caught my attention speaks volumes as to why his shooting stats were so low. This gives me hope. I just hope they don’t try to force him into the Ingles role unless it comes naturally for him.

There are a lot of pissed off Jazz fans that the Jazz didn't take a wing at 27 or had they kept the pick at 23. Here are the wings that were drafted in the 20-40 range:

Maxey
Bolmaro
Hampton
McDaniels
Bane
T. Bey
Maledon - technically a PG, but he's long enough to put here
Hughes
Woodard

Pre draft, among those players, I liked Bane, Maledon and maybe Tyler Bey more than Hughes. I wouldn't have had a problem with a swing for the fences pick such as McDaniels.

But the point is, they all have their warts. It's impossible to know which of those guys will be the best or be the guys who stick in league and help a team. Again, there are a few I like better than Hughes, but none who i can sit here and definitively say are better than him. He has solid measurables and athleticism. He has an excellent shooting stroke. He's a legit three level scorer. He has just as much chance of succeeding in the league as any wing the Jazz could have taken at at 27 or 23.

That isn't obvious at all considering they just signed another PG to a 2-way. I'll believe it when I see it.
The PG situation on the Stars isn't great. This guy will not be in the rotation next month, he needs to fix his long range shot to have a chance. If he can do that, he could be a nice addition.

A team that traded a $3 million pet of the GM to save money isn’t addressing **** in free agency.
They needed off that salary in order to sign JC and use their exception. They obviously intend to use their exception.

Come back and hit the crack pipe my man.

Between a few young kids, running a business, and prioritizing my family, I just haven’t felt like I have the time.

And to be honest, it’s great.

I still love basketball, I just don’t have as much interest in the game anymore. Even watching the Jazz, and they’re good, I just don’t enjoy it like I used to. I don’t know if it’s the style of play, or what exactly, I just flat out don’t care as much. Been kinda weird, if I’m honest.

Respect.

I appreciated how you and I usually found a way to hang out around here... despite coming from really different places. Was sad to see you enter a later career where it just felt like you took a dump and left. But I definitely understand the reasons for coming around less and less.

Appreciate the kind words.

There are a lot of pissed off Jazz fans that the Jazz didn't take a wing at 27 or had they kept the pick at 23. Here are the wings that were drafted in the 20-40 range:

Maxey
Bolmaro
Hampton
McDaniels
Bane
T. Bey
Maledon - technically a PG, but he's long enough to put here
Hughes
Woodard

Pre draft, among those players, I liked Bane, Maledon and maybe Tyler Bey more than Hughes. I wouldn't have had a problem with a swing for the fences pick such as McDaniels.

But the point is, they all have their warts. It's impossible to know which of those guys will be the best or be the guys who stick in league and help a team. Again, there are a few I like better than Hughes, but none who i can sit here and definitively say are better than him. He has solid measurables and athleticism. He has an excellent shooting stroke. He's a legit three level scorer. He has just as much chance of succeeding in the league as any wing the Jazz could have taken at at 27 or 23.

This is the Udoka draft. The Jazz made a conscious decision to pursue Udoka, and their entire draft strategy revolved around him--from trading back in the first round, to selling off Bradley with a 2nd-rd pick. To getting a later 2nd-rd pick to draft a wing.

If the Jazz decided they wanted RJ Hampton, Josh Green or Aleksej Pokusevski, I think they probably could have made a different set of moves to get one of those players. But they thought Udoka was the prize, so they focused on him.

I haven't watched Hughes that much. First impression is that he's giving me some JR Smith vibes -- 6'5", athletic, deep-range shooter, can slash and get on the rim.

This is the Udoka draft. The Jazz made a conscious decision to pursue Udoka, and their entire draft strategy revolved around him--from trading back in the first round, to selling off Bradley with a 2nd-rd pick. To getting a later 2nd-rd pick to draft a wing.

If the Jazz decided they wanted RJ Hampton, Josh Green or Aleksej Pokusevski, I think they probably could have made a different set of moves to get one of those players. But they thought Udoka was the prize, so they focused on him.
Not sure I understand your entire point, but regardless of who the focus was (i agree that it was Udoka) they ended up with a wing - just like everybody wanted. He may not be THE wing you wanted or THE wing I wanted, but he has just as good a chance at panning out as any of the wings the Jazz could have taken near their draft slot, and that includes RJ Hampton and Josh Green. Again, they all have their warts and their strengths and Hughes is right there with them in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

I haven't watched Hughes that much. First impression is that he's giving me some JR Smith vibes -- 6'5", athletic, deep-range shooter, can slash and get on the rim.
I see what you're saying with the athletic, slashing, deep range stuff, but I don't like the JR Smith comparison simply becasue JR is such a knucklehead. I see Hughes as more measured, under control, more willing to play within a system, higher IQ guy. The comp i will go with is Garrett Temple - that kind of player. Dillon Brooks, Norman Powell, Josh Hart, Gary Trent, Wesley Mathews.

Between a few young kids, running a business, and prioritizing my family, I just haven’t felt like I have the time.

And to be honest, it’s great.

I still love basketball, I just don’t have as much interest in the game anymore. Even watching the Jazz, and they’re good, I just don’t enjoy it like I used to. I don’t know if it’s the style of play, or what exactly, I just flat out don’t care as much. Been kinda weird, if I’m honest.
It's been that way for me the last few years.

Not sure I understand your entire point, but regardless of who the focus was (i agree that it was Udoka) they ended up with a wing - just like everybody wanted. He may not be THE wing you wanted or THE wing I wanted, but he has just as good a chance at panning out as any of the wings the Jazz could have taken near their draft slot, and that includes RJ Hampton and Josh Green. Again, they all have their warts and their strengths and Hughes is right there with them in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I would have focused on trying to acquire Pokusevski at #17, or I would have sat at #23 and let RJ Hampton fall into my lap, because this is how small-market teams acquire All Stars. However, the Jazz are tweaking their current roster, rather than making changes to aim higher. Hampton and Poku have questions marks--both are very young, developmental picks--but they have All Star potential.

I see what you're saying with the athletic, slashing, deep range stuff, but I don't like the JR Smith comparison simply becasue JR is such a knucklehead. I see Hughes as more measured, under control, more willing to play within a system, higher IQ guy. The comp i will go with is Garrett Temple - that kind of player. Dillon Brooks, Norman Powell, Josh Hart, Gary Trent, Wesley Mathews.

I'm talking about a younger JR Smith, circa Denver or his first stint in Cleveland. He's a 6'5", athletic 2-guard who shoots with volume, shoots with deep range, can do a score a bit in isolation, and is explosive enough to drive and get on top of the rim. I wouldn't compare Hughes to the other guys you mentioned.

We'll have to see what Hughes looks like as a ball-mover in Quin's system.

Has anyone(besides me) mentioned that Hughes celebrates after EVERY shot in his highlight vids? I mean WTF is that? He gonna have to simmer down.