What's new

Enes Kanter maybe 6th Man, Comparable to the Best 6th Man of All Time.

Tony

Contributor
After reading the Millsap news, and if he were to return with him starting at PF and Derrick at C, Kanter would become the sixth man. I thought that was stupid to have someone picked as high as Kanter be a sixth man, so I checked to see if there were any sixth men that were picked as high. There was one that I found. The best sixth man of all time none-the-less taken 3rd in 1980. Kevin McHale. So I started watching videos of him and I'll be damned if him and Enes don't have the same game. Enes is bigger and more physical of course, but still.

Look at this video of McHale and tell me you don't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q01Dntvw2O4

Phil Johnson also said this last year... He sees Kanter as a very good 3rd big off the bench providing scoring a punch and lots of energy.

Who started ahead of McHale?

If we draft Julius Randle, I have no problem bringing Kanter off the bench. As it stands now, he's our best PF.

Who started ahead of McHale?

If we draft Julius Randle, I have no problem bringing Kanter off the bench. As it stands now, he's our best PF.

Robert Parish was the starting Center. I don't know who the PF was though.

well, if the goal is to bring top-3 picks every 4 years, than yes, bring him off the bench.. and favors too

If we start Gobert with Favors, we can try this experiment a bit sooner, but I'm pretty sure we want Kanter's scoring and rebounding in our first unit.

Phil Johnson might have been trying to appease fans who were tired of Alsap.

If we start Gobert with Favors, we can try this experiment a bit sooner, but I'm pretty sure we want Kanter's scoring and rebounding in our first unit. Phil Johnson might have been trying to appease fans who were tired of Alsap.
Starting Gobert over the likes of Milsap (assuming he re-signs) or of Kanter is plain put ridiculous!
What assures us that he is not the 2. comimg of Saer Sene or that radojevic dude, Jazz played over Okur?
If that happens, Kanter would be pissed off and he would be right about it, too!
Phil Johnson is wrong and stupid BTW.
Kanter IS a starter on every team of this league, except for San Antonio or Lakers or Timberwolves!

Cedric maxwell

Yes, but it wasn't long (a few years) before McHale replaced Maxwell as a starter and then Maxwell retired. I was a big Celtics fan during the Larry Bird era. Also, Enes is not as agile or slippery as McHale, at least not yet. This is off the topic, but DW12 going to Houston would seem like a no-brainer, having both McHale and Hakeem as mentors, the two best low-post players in NBA history aside from Wilt and Jabbar, but their only advantage is size.

Reassured to hear Kanter is a bench big guy. Perhaps if we tank really hard this year and the ping pong balls bounce our way in this loaded draft we may be able to find our backup wingman of the future!

Partially true

Yes, but it wasn't long (a few years) before McHale replaced Maxwell as a starter.

Partially true. McHale the regular starter for only four years of his career (86-89). Maxwell started the 2 years that he won 6th MOY (84, 85), backup up others throughout his career. He was not a regular starter for his first 5 years (81-85) and the last 4 years of his career (90-93).

Trivia: (1) McHale started 31 games in 85 when he won 6th man of year.
(2) In 86, the first year McHale started regularly, Bill Walton backed up him and Parrish and won 6th MOY, giving the Celtics 3 straight.
(3) Interesting that a guy on the top 50 NBA players of all time only started 400 games (less than 5 complete seasons)

i have said more than once on this website

Enes Kanter can win the 6th man of the year, AND Most Improved player

in the same season, im sure of it.

especially if he can inflate his rebounding #'s during blowouts

he will always shoot high %'s, so if he can put up lets say 13ppg and 8rpg's in limited minutes, i dont think thats farfetched

Favors/Gobert
Millsap/Kanter/Evans
Hayward/Carroll/Williams
OJ Mayo/Burks
Burke/Tinsley/McNeal

13 players and Kanter and Burks as the main bench guys?

I am more interested in letting Sap go. Sorry guys, I think it is time to move on. I will be disappointed if we bring him back unless the deal is for 2 years or less.

Partially true. McHale the regular starter for only four years of his career (86-89). Maxwell started the 2 years that he won 6th MOY (84, 85), backup up others throughout his career. He was not a regular starter for his first 5 years (81-85) and the last 4 years of his career (90-93).

Trivia: (1) McHale started 31 games in 85 when he won 6th man of year.
(2) In 86, the first year McHale started regularly, Bill Walton backed up him and Parrish and won 6th MOY, giving the Celtics 3 straight.
(3) Interesting that a guy on the top 50 NBA players of all time only started 400 games (less than 5 complete seasons)

Celts did the same thing with Havlicek for quite a few years before he became the starter. Another top 50 and arguably greater player than McHale.

Kanter has the most potential on this team. I kind of can guarantee that he will be an All-Star in this league.

I doesn't make sense to bring your best player off the bench.

There are still Jazz fans that want Millsap to stay? As much as he has brought to the table... he will NEVER be a starter on a championship team. No matter how hard working of a player he is. He's too undersized and gets worn down toward the end of every season.

Kanter has the most potential on this team. I kind of can guarantee that he will be an All-Star in this league.

this board thinks that corbin can have a 6th man and a decent rotation

who was our 6th man the last 2 seasons?

Dude, Kevin McHale was a 3x NBA All-Star while a 6th man. There's no reason Kanter couldn't do that too just because he'd be coming off the bench.

this board thinks that corbin can have a 6th man and a decent rotation

who was our 6th man the last 2 seasons?

No one. It was too damn clogged to have one.

There are still Jazz fans that want Millsap to stay? As much as he has brought to the table... he will NEVER be a starter on a championship team. No matter how hard working of a player he is. He's too undersized and gets worn down toward the end of every season.

I'm leaning more toward this now...

Favors, Kanter
Asik, Kanter