What's new

Ersan Ilyasova to sign with Jazz per Jordan Schultz

Dudes,

I also want to say..... don’t look at others teams’ flexibility and get too jealous. We lost ours when we signed Mike. That’s paying off right now, but either way it was gone. Ce la vie.

He was drafted in the same draft as DWill, CJ Miles, Whaley and Andre Owens ended up with the Jazz. So there is some wear on his tires' treads. He was selected just after CJ. He was just hanging out waiting for a phone call. I wonder if he and Snyder were together when Quin was a Hawks assistant.
He's older than you think too. 100%

And honestly I'd be fine with the move right now if we didn't have Niang. Niang and Ersan are different but also kinda the same.

Just had my eyes on something bigger. There will be some semi-earth shattering maneuvers with some of these teams. Like when/if Denver trades for Kyle Lowry... re-arranging decks chairs for bench redundancy seems a bit conservative.
Ersan’s TRB% the past few years has been twice that of Niang’s.

In any case, we still have an open roster spot. And nothing has proved that this move is permanent. But even if it is, we still have a roster spot and none of the guys we want are available now but we do have to sign someone currently, so I don’t think this move means anything, other than instead of bringing in a no-name guy for technicality purposes, we actually brought in a player.

Just another ring-chasing veteran.

Let's help him get it.
Tier 1 Ring-chasers - Laker or Nets
Tier 2 Ring-chasers - Sixers or Clippers
Tier 3 Ring-chasers - Bucks or Nuggets, maybe Dallas
Tier 4 Ring-chasers - Jazz?

So who do you want to ship out to get something bigger?
That is the problem for sure. It would have to be draft picks (which are in short supply). It could also be a buyout guy if something popped up on the market.

I'd almost rather give the guys on our roster a shot because it increases their trade value and is an investment in their future growth. Who knows... maybe you have the next Lu Dort on your bench.

Ersan has some good things to him. He is a world class charge guy... which is a really under-rated skill. He can shoot and is bigger than Niang... I think Niang has some similar benefits to Ersan and might be a better man-on-man defender.

If they do try him as a small ball spread the floor 5 then I can see this being something kinda cool... so who knows.

Ersan’s TRB% the past few years has been twice that of Niang’s.

In any case, we still have an open roster spot. And nothing has proved that this move is permanent. But even if it is, we still have a roster spot and none of the guys we want are available now but we do have to sign someone currently, so I don’t think this move means anything, other than instead of bringing in a no-name guy for technicality purposes, we actually brought in a player.
He's a better rebounder. He's probably about the same as a defender. I think he has some pluses that Niang doesn't. I think he's a worse shooter though.

I'm with you in that if this is padding the roster and isn't permanent and isn't our only move... then **** it... sure. I know you think we are still out there beating the bush, but everything I have seen from this franchise is that "we did our work early" and "didn't see anything else we thought fit".

I think we may have played it safe and asked the neighbor girl to prom because she's available. Meanwhile the smoking hot cheerleader might be breaking up with her football player boyfriend and we should be ready to pounce. In DL's mind we already have our date... In some GM's minds they'd dump the nice neighbor girl if the hot cheerleader becomes available.

Surprised no one knows this or cares tbh.
Not sure what the issue is. I got this from wikipedia.

Citizenship and age[edit]​

Since the 2003 Turkish Junior Basketball Championship held in Konya, there has been some controversy to İlyasova's age and national origin.[36] The controversy is fueled by the claim that a man named Arsen Ilyasov, born in 1984 in Bukhara, Uzbekistan, entered Turkey as an 18-year-old on August 7, 2002 and was never heard from again, while on September 19, 2002, a man named Semsettin Bulut claimed to have forgotten to register the birth of his now 15-year-old son, and did so as Ersan İlyasova, a Turkish citizen.[37] This claim, that İlyasova is actually Ilyasov and should be an Uzbek player, was officially put forth by the Uzbekistan Basketball Federation in a grievance, but FIBA ruled in the Turkish Basketball Federation's favor.[35] While this controversy was brewing, some media outlets, such as ESPN's Chad Ford, openly referred to Ilyasova as "The 17-year-old forward from Uzbekistan is widely considered the best prospect to ever come out of Turkey."[38] Other biographies, while not claiming an Uzbek birth, still maintain a 1984 birth year.[39][40]

So he is likely older than he claims I guess? Either way he is what he is as a player, not sure why this would be that much of a big deal at this point in his career. It is one thing to be a young prospect and quite another to be an established veteran with a full body of work to judge off of.

I'm happy. He's a stretch-4 who isn't a tweener and he put up good percentages with a good team last season.

He's a better rebounder. He's probably about the same as a defender. I think he has some pluses that Niang doesn't. I think he's a worse shooter though.

I'm with you in that if this is padding the roster and isn't permanent and isn't our only move... then **** it... sure. I know you think we are still out there beating the bush, but everything I have seen from this franchise is that "we did our work early" and "didn't see anything else we thought fit".

I think we may have played it safe and asked the neighbor girl to prom because she's available. Meanwhile the smoking hot cheerleader might be breaking up with her football player boyfriend and we should be ready to pounce. In DL's mind we already have our date... In some GM's minds they'd dump the nice neighbor girl if the hot cheerleader becomes available.
Yep he has more weapons than Niang

This is huge

BzRIvP4.jpg

I'm curios to see if he plays over Niang or is just insurance... or is a 3rd center option if we don't trust Morgan and Dok is out.

I also remember our coaches/front office seem to cater to vets and give them the benefit of the doubt. Didn't want to mothball Green so they cut him... played Thabo maybe when they shouldn't have. I just don't think they signed a vet to have him collect dust. So is it Favs or Niang that loses minutes or is there an injury we don't know about?

If something obvious comes up, I think we're still in pursuit of that, like an OPJ. We still have the ability. DL asked out his neighbor, but DL lives in a polygamist community and both he and the neighbor are used to going to prom with multiple people.

But signing someone like Ilyasova isn't stopping us from signing someone like RHJ, because it's clear they didn't want RHJ. It's just good that they're showing some signs of life, though this move was also necessitated by league rule (though we could have used a bunch of 10-days as loopholes).

I'm curios to see if he plays over Niang or is just insurance... or is a 3rd center option if we don't trust Morgan and Dok is out.

I also remember our coaches/front office seem to cater to vets and give them the benefit of the doubt. Didn't want to mothball Green so they cut him... played Thabo maybe when they shouldn't have. I just don't think they signed a vet to have him collect dust. So is it Favs or Niang that loses minutes or is there an injury we don't know about?
That's the thing. I think it's hard to crack Quin's set rotation, unless Quin was involved in the decision of bringing Ilyasova in. But also keep in mind that he's been on the market for quite a while, and we haven't made a move for him, so this could just be the roster rule necessity with the added advantage of being a good vet. We thought Shaq would surely come in and get a lot of Niang's minutes, but he got none, and Oni was before him in the rotation.