What's new

Exit Interviews

Sorry if this is off topic but are there any legit free agents we could sign? Someone who is a real #2 or 3 option on a championship team and preferably 29 years old or younger.

Sorry if this is off topic but are there any legit free agents we could sign? Someone who is a real #2 or 3 option on a championship team and preferably 29 years old or younger.

I think the Jazz would look to make trades rather than try to compete in free agency. The way things are working these days, star players sign extensions with their current team and then walk into the front office to demand a trade if they want to move. So fewer stars actually make it to free agency.

Oh, but otherwise Kyrie could be hitting free agency.

@Tony Jones said, and I want to make sure I quote this right..., that Rudy Gay was "motha ****ing" the Jazz last season. Maybe it's water under the bridge now, and obviously there were a lot of things going wrong last year.
I remember right after the JIngles trade and we acquired Juancho and NAW, Juancho suddenly became teacher's pet and was so amazingly good that the Jazz didn't pick up his option and is so good that he is now out of the league. I can see Gay getting prickly over that. At least he didn't try to punch a teammate. I will say that Juancho played decently for us. NAW immediately assumed Oni's place in Quin's kennel club.

Only thing that comes to mind that is close to that is Jerami Grant. Which I could be talked into, just not sure if that’s something he’d even consider.

Maybe Fred VanVleet or Jerami Grant. I think it's far more likely that we package some of our picks and trade for another star than sign one in free agency.

Maybe Fred VanVleet or Jerami Grant. I think it's far more likely that we package some of our picks and trade for another star than sign one in free agency.
The Jazz are in a position to do both. Probably a big reason why Ainge was hell bent on getting off of Conley’s money next year.

Jazz are positioned crazy well for a big splash this off-season if the planets align.

The Jazz are in a position to do both. Probably a big reason why Ainge was hell bent on getting off of Conley’s money next year.

Jazz are positioned crazy well for a big splash this off-season if the planets align.

That's true. I'm just not sure we'll be able to convince a big name free agent to come to Utah.

That's true. I'm just not sure we'll be able to convince a big name free agent to come to Utah.
Naturally.

Then again, winning and/or the allure of it cures a whole hell of a lot.

Let’s say they draft a hyped player, swing a trade for a star, kept most of their horde of picks in tact, and still have a max or near-max cap slot. A dude pushing 30 that has either been low on totem on good teams or toiling away on bad teams might be tempted to get the best of both worlds.

Not sure how I feel about those names. The Raptors have sort of severely underperformed based on their roster imo and I wonder how much of that lies on VanVleet. As far as Grant goes, I recall hearing a couple years ago he wanted to be the #1 option on a team. If true, that just feels like a dude we could do without.

Not saying they are #2 or 3 options but how do feel about Grant Williams or Coby White? Know nothing about the latter’s rep around the league but the former had been known as a key cog in Boston’s wheel a couple years ago.

Not saying they are #2 or 3 options but how do feel about Grant Williams or Coby White? Know nothing about the latter’s rep around the league but the former had been known as a key cog in Boston’s wheel a couple years ago.
Not sure how special Grant Williams is and the Jazz have a couple years to dig out other not-special players that won't come with a significant cost to acquiring them.

Coby White has kinda been trash, but he's also been on the Bulls and their developmental track record is comedically bad. I think that's the only argument for pursuing him.

As far as Grant goes, I recall hearing a couple years ago he wanted to be the #1 option on a team. If true, that just feels like a dude we could do without.
I could totally be wrong here, but:
1. Things change. He's done the thing he set out to do.
2. We don't really know the veracity or the extent of that perspective.
3. I don't think he needed to be the #1 option, I think he just wanted a featured role and not to be the dude tasked with mopping up the tasks that stars aren't usually asked to perform (like always taking the hardest defensive assignments, and taking only perfect shots and making most of them despite not being in an offensive rhythm).
4. He played well for Portland who were not totally *** the whole year.

I think we will be in the mix for Williams depending on price.

One thing of note… Dame said he wanted Grant... so Grant gonna get PAID!!! Like 35M+ per year... book it.

Not sure how special Grant Williams is and the Jazz have a couple years to dig out other not-special players that won't come with a significant cost to acquiring them.

Coby White has kinda been trash, but he's also been on the Bulls and their developmental track record is comedically bad. I think that's the only argument for pursuing him.
The Bulls thing was more about the previous coaching regimes (namely Boylin), not the current one. Billy Donovan is regarded as being generally good.