What's new

Exum in the DLeague

The only reason to send him down is if it is more important to play other players ahead of him. For example, if we were in the hunt for a playoff spot and he was obviously lost, or if we had a much higher draft pick that needs the minutes. In this case it is ridiculous to do anything but keep him on the main roster and let the kid play and work with the real team, and the real coach. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

The only reason to send him down is if it is more important to play other players ahead of him. For example, if we were in the hunt for a playoff spot and he was obviously lost, or if we had a much higher draft pick that needs the minutes. In this case it is ridiculous to do anything but keep him on the main roster and let the kid play and work with the real team, and the real coach. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

I don't think that is the only reason at all. If he just cannot play in the NBA, we would be forced to sit him. Sending him to the DLeague would allow him to actually play in games. And of course it wouldn't be for the whole season, that would be ridiculous. He would still work with the coach and team.

I don't think that is the only reason at all. If he just cannot play in the NBA, we would be forced to sit him. Sending him to the DLeague would allow him to actually play in games. And of course it wouldn't be for the whole season, that would be ridiculous. He would still work with the coach and team.

If he doesn't play like an NBA player we have little chance of making the playoffs. Why wouldn't we just play him? What are we gaining by sitting him or sending him to the d league? Or how does it benefit him realistically? Being tutored directly by our coaching staff and playing with our team would be the best scenario unless there is some other reason to send him down. With no other reason, keeping him with the team is the best course of action. If he is so so so raw that he simply could never hang for even 5 minutes per game at all without some kind of epic meltdown then we need to do more than just send him to the d league.

What are your thoughts on using the DLeague to develop the 5th overall pick Dante Exum? Would playing about twice as much in the DLeague be more beneficial than about 15 minutes a game with the big boys he might get this year?
I think it's a dumb idea.

If he doesn't play like an NBA player we have little chance of making the playoffs. Why wouldn't we just play him? What are we gaining by sitting him or sending him to the d league? Or how does it benefit him realistically? Being tutored directly by our coaching staff and playing with our team would be the best scenario unless there is some other reason to send him down. With no other reason, keeping him with the team is the best course of action. If he is so so so raw that he simply could never hang for even 5 minutes per game at all without some kind of epic meltdown then we need to do more than just send him to the d league.

I think it's all dependent on his level of play in the NBA and it wouldn't be as dramatic as an "epic meltdown" to warrant sending to the D-League. Maybe the issue is about if we can utilize the D-League as a development league like it is intended to be.

I think it's all dependent on his level of play in the NBA and it wouldn't be as dramatic as an "epic meltdown" to warrant sending to the D-League. Maybe the issue is about if we can utilize the D-League as a development league like it is intended to be.

Still makes no sense. If that is the case then send every draft pick down for their first year, make this a standard practice or something. But it is far better for him to play in the NBA to develop than in the D league. If his level of play is low then you play him against other teams' second units. Or you play him for a few minutes each quarter followed by a coach reviewing with him how he did and giving him coaching, the put him back in. But realistically the d league only makes sense in certain circumstances, and really for such a high draft pick the only circumstances that warrant it is if they are just plain not ready for the NBA AND the team is fighting for a playoff spot so the draft pick has no reasonable chance of getting any PT to begin with. But with no ring to chase this year, just let him play.

Still makes no sense. If that is the case then send every draft pick down for their first year, make this a standard practice or something. But it is far better for him to play in the NBA to develop than in the D league. If his level of play is low then you play him against other teams' second units. Or you play him for a few minutes each quarter followed by a coach reviewing with him how he did and giving him coaching, the put him back in. But realistically the d league only makes sense in certain circumstances, and really for such a high draft pick the only circumstances that warrant it is if they are just plain not ready for the NBA AND the team is fighting for a playoff spot so the draft pick has no reasonable chance of getting any PT to begin with. But with no ring to chase this year, just let him play.

Definitely didn't say anything about sending most draft picks to the DLeague. Exum is an extremely unique situation, he has mostly played against Australian high school teams. I don't think the nature of the NBA and the talent of players drafted will allow the DLeague to be what is was intended to be, but in Exum's situation I think it could be used as an asset to help his development. I too would value the time he could spend with Quin but I think this is exactly the reason the Jazz FO picked their guys for the Idaho Stampede as well.

I don't think we will be making the playoffs, but I don't think this is a planned tanking season either. Quin is going to, and should, put his best team on the court. It's yet to be seen if that will include Exum (which, if I'm being honest, I think it will. I think he will be just fine in his first year. Just thinking of a hypothetical situation)

Definitely didn't say anything about sending most draft picks to the DLeague. Exum is an extremely unique situation, he has mostly played against Australian high school teams. I don't think the nature of the NBA and the talent of players drafted will allow the DLeague to be what is was intended to be, but in Exum's situation I think it could be used as an asset to help his development. I too would value the time he could spend with Quin but I think this is exactly the reason the Jazz FO picked their guys for the Idaho Stampede as well.

I don't think we will be making the playoffs, but I don't think this is a planned tanking season either. Quin is going to, and should, put his best team on the court. It's yet to be seen if that will include Exum (which, if I'm being honest, I think it will. I think he will be just fine in his first year. Just thinking of a hypothetical situation)

CJ Miles, Fess and Morris Almond all did DLeague time with the Jazz.

CJ Miles, Fess and Morris Almond all did DLeague time with the Jazz.

Yes?

CJ Miles 2 times, Kyrylo Fesenko 5 times, Morris Almond 4 times, Kosta Koufus 2 times, Jeremy Evans 1 time, Kevin Murphy 1 time, Tony Wroten 2 times, Ian Clark 2 times, and Rudy Gobert 2 times