What's new

Exum in the DLeague

MDAV28

What are your thoughts on using the DLeague to develop the 5th overall pick Dante Exum? Would playing about twice as much in the DLeague be more beneficial than about 15 minutes a game with the big boys he might get this year?

I think practice time with Snyder is more important than playing time for Dante. Maybe he gets sent down for a short visit. But I think he belongs with the big boys.

Nah DLeague isn't gonna do him any good. He needs to start building chemistry with our other young guys.

When he had the ball in his hand in the SL, he really looked like he belong on the court.

What are your thoughts on using the DLeague to develop the 5th overall pick Dante Exum? Would playing about twice as much in the DLeague be more beneficial than about 15 minutes a game with the big boys he might get this year?
Nope. He needs to get experience against NBA-level talent and practice with the team every day. I don't think PT is really an issue. At his current level of conditioning, he's probably only good for 15-18 mins/per, which he could get by playing behind Burke. I think it's a mistake this year to play him at SG alongside Trey. Let Exum master his primary position before deciding if the Jazz should play two PG's. Utah already has two very good SG's in Hayward and Burks, with a third wing in Hood. There are others who should also get spot minutes at the 2/3.

Nope. He needs to get experience against NBA-level talent and practice with the team every day. I don't think PT is really an issue. At his current level of conditioning, he's probably only good for 15-18 mins/per, which he could get by playing behind Burke. I think it's a mistake this year to play him at SG alongside Trey. Let Exum master his primary position before deciding if the Jazz should play two PG's. Utah already has two very good SG's in Hayward and Burks, with a third wing in Hood. There are others who should also get spot minutes at the 2/3.

Draft day Quin seemed diplomatic saying his system will accommodate 2 PGs on the floor...

But it seemed like, from Locke's interview, he's taking this strategy seriously. I think it was Boone who alluded to the fact that it would be interesting to have 2 guards who can initiate the offense from EITHER side of the floor and not having to swing the ball around to the PG.

You don't want Exum in the D-league. He's not good enough. Dleaguers will make him look bad, it would be hurt his confidence and it would be bad PR. If he's going to look bad, let legit NBA players make him look bad and surround him with better teammates/coaching.

Draft day Quin seemed diplomatic saying his system will accommodate 2 PGs on the floor...

But it seemed like, from Locke's interview, he's taking this strategy seriously. I think it was Boone who alluded to the fact that it would be interesting to have 2 guards who can initiate the offense from EITHER side of the floor and not having to swing the ball around to the PG.

You have that with Exum playing PG and Hayward or Burks at SG. Gordon and Alec can also initiate the offense. Of course we know Quin likes to run P&R from just about anywhere on the court, so that would make sense. Only problem is that the P&R requires PG's who can shoot.

With this roster? Doubt it happens. He and Hood will be getting nightly minutes in the NBA.

Not a chance, the best way for him to figure it out is throwing him out there with the lions. He's going to be exciting to watch and we just need to be patient.

'Exum = A bust' my arse, whoever I read that from...

You don't want Exum in the D-league. He's not good enough. Dleaguers will make him look bad, it would be hurt his confidence and it would be bad PR. If he's going to look bad, let legit NBA players make him look bad and surround him with better teammates/coaching.

This might be as good of a reason as any.

Good backup minutes are much better than unlimited d league minutes. He's not ready for 36 minutes a night, but 20 minutes a night is plenty. Have him practice with the pros not the d league chuckers.

What's the highest draft pick ever to play in D-League?
Has a top five pick ever played in the D-League?

Other than Thabeet...has there been any top 5 picks that went to the D-League? Just curious.

Lindsey cannot send Dante into DL. This is career suicide. He does not have power to send him into.

Quigly Sny does not have power to bench Dante. He will get fired by Lindsey and find himself outcast forever. This is his second and final chance.

Dante will play big minutes. Quigly and DLs career depends on his success.

Go Dante. I like DL I like Quigly please save their career.

Other than Thabeet...has there been any top 5 picks that went to the D-League? Just curious.

Just him. Obviously the only situation in which Exum would get sent down is if he just cannot hang with anybody on a NBA court. I hope it wouldn't come to that but Exum is still really an unknown. He has very little experience against NBA talent or even top NCAA talent.