What's new

Game Thread Feb 09, 2022 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Warriors

Added to Calendar: 02-09-22

Watched replay … Synder needs to find a whole lot more minutes for Forrest …

His dribble drive , quick first step breaks down the defence so easily …

Defensively, I thought he had at least 3-4 steals but only had him down for 1 … but deflections and getting in the lanes .. bodies guys up so well .

- Having a stretch like this without Gobert is teaching the team to play defense without him. We'll be a much better team for it in the end (assuming Gobert comes back completely healthy).
- Hassan is a rollercoaster, but we should also understand that he was actually sick with Covid, and it was going to take a long time for him to recover and get back in game shape. I like to assume the best at least.
- Unless some news came out that I didn't catch, Forrest is still on a 2-way deal. That needs to change
- JC was a +33. Even if his efficiency wasn't great tonight, I think he's coming around and figuring out ways to help the team win/play more under control. He shot 38% from 3 in January.

- Having a stretch like this without Gobert is teaching the team to play defense without him. We'll be a much better team for it in the end (assuming Gobert comes back completely healthy).
- Hassan is a rollercoaster, but we should also understand that he was actually sick with Covid, and it was going to take a long time for him to recover and get back in game shape. I like to assume the best at least.
- Unless some news came out that I didn't catch, Forrest is still on a 2-way deal. That needs to change
- JC was a +33. Even if his efficiency wasn't great tonight, I think he's coming around and figuring out ways to help the team win/play more under control. He shot 38% from 3 in January.
And Hassan also had a concussion. Pretty rough course of weeks there for him. His son also got COVID.

- dok need to learn some big man offense. he don't need to be rudy2.0
- we play faster without joe/rudy gay.
-is forest the perimeter D guard we are looking for? is it time to flip conley for a bigger fish?

-is forest the perimeter D guard we are looking for? is it time to flip conley for a bigger fish?
Y'all all know how I feel about the Mike Conley trade, but I WOULD NOT entertain trades for him at this time. He's playing really well, and Forrest could learn a lot from him the rest of the way this season.

Depending on how we do down the stretch and in the playoffs, the summer is when the conversation could be had if it's necessary.

Clarkson is clearly the odd man out right now.

The NBA thinks small ball is the way to go and so we come in here and crush them inside.

PS. Forrest is gonna get a new contract and it feels so good.

It was his mom (Holly said in the broadcast that his mom told him he needed to look to score more. Holly also mentioned that Snydet told him something similar.)

Thank god for his mother! It was painful to watch him be so scared to score. It’s totally different when he puts the threat on the defense.

If Forrest could learn to shoot from 3 at even a passable rate, to where he wasn't blatantly obviously afraid to shoot it at all, he could at some point make Mike expendable. Of course, if he could shoot the 3 he would be garnering a lot of attention from other teams and his price would go up substantially.

If Forrest could learn to shoot from 3 at even a passable rate, to where he wasn't blatantly obviously afraid to shoot it at all, he could at some point make Mike expendable. Of course, if he could shoot the 3 he would be garnering a lot of attention from other teams and his price would go up substantially.
Nah, just let Forrest be what he is, a very good backup PG.

Y'all all know how I feel about the Mike Conley trade, but I WOULD NOT entertain trades for him at this time. He's playing really well, and Forrest could learn a lot from him the rest of the way this season.

Depending on how we do down the stretch and in the playoffs, the summer is when the conversation could be had if it's necessary.

Clarkson is clearly the odd man out right now.
we are 6th overall tied with the bulls. on top of us are suns, warriors, grizz, heat, bucks, teams I am not sure we can beat with our undersized guards. we got exposed on some of our losses and will get exposed again come playoff time so Mike comes to mind if we really want to get over the hump. he's value is high and we could get a starter in return. a good piece we can pair with DM.

jc no idea if we can get a decent guy in return. we can package him though

Forrest can be the next TJ McConnell. I dont think he is ever going to be a starter caliber player, but a guy who isnt going to kill you if he has to start.
Super bonus points for the cross race comp.

Two things have happened with Forrest:

1- Driving with real intentions of scoring... the obvious improvement people see.
2- Rather than just playing good solid defense, he is playing solid defense AND disrupting with deflections/steals. It didn't make sense to me that his steal numbers and deflections were so low for his skillset. It felt like he was doing the Jazz thing of never fouling and it was neutering his aggressiveness.

Between Forrest and JB I'm cool on the JC minutes now. If we traded him I fear we'd put NAW ahead of both guys and he should be behind both guys until he proves it.

1- Driving with real intentions of scoring... the obvious improvement people see.
2- Rather than just playing good solid defense, he is playing solid defense AND disrupting with deflections/steals. It didn't make sense to me that his steal numbers and deflections were so low for his skillset. It felt like he was doing the Jazz thing of never fouling and it was neutering his aggressiveness.

Between Forrest and JB I'm cool on the JC minutes now. If we traded him I fear we'd put NAW ahead of both guys and he should be behind both guys until he proves it.
Im pretty confident Utah is going to have NAW leapfrog Butler right away.

Im pretty confident Utah is going to have NAW leapfrog Butler right away.
Me too... and I hate it.

I wonder if JB is like an ******* or too confident for Quin behind the scenes. It was so weird to have a kid play that well in the pre-season without a summer league and then have Quin and the local media like Locke throw cold water on it all the time. Then after some ****** 1 minute stints he's benched. Then the narrative becomes "we are trying to win a title... lolz... can't play development guys lolz." But then they get a guy like NAW.

JB has one of the most important talents for a player to have. He can break down his defender and get shots or looks for others and the coaching staff turned their nose at it. The narrative became he can't play with others and he's a bad defender... He might be better at both of those things than JC who gets an unlimited leash. It's just so weird to me.

I think the second point was more of a Jazz thing. The Jazz play so conservative by intention. Obviously we let guys go by us with Gobert, but we also have no rotation concepts beyond "stay home". We've only seen it a few times, but last night was a really good example of how we can play when we play less rigid. Doubling Curry forced us into more rotations and they played it really well. The other game I thought they did this really well in was the first DEN game when Gobert was out. We knew we had to double Jokic with Gay on him, so we were prepared to rotate every time.

One of the hesitations I had about Dunn (even if he was healthy) is that his steal numbers would not be close to where they were in CHI as they would here. CHI trapped everything, Jazz played conservative as possible. I think before the year we were all OK if the Jazz dropped games because they tried out new strategy. Quin has been forced to do so because of Covid/Injuries, but I do think we've come out of this horrid stretch a better team. Navigating the drama/media element is tough, but I also think that some shaming of the perimeter defense was necessary. Rudy won't get all the blame this time and the rest of the players know that.

Me too... and I hate it.

I wonder if JB is like an ******* or too confident for Quin behind the scenes. It was so weird to have a kid play that well in the pre-season without a summer league and then have Quin and the local media like Locke throw cold water on it all the time. Then after some ****** 1 minute stints he's benched. Then the narrative becomes "we are trying to win a title... lolz... can't play development guys lolz." But then they get a guy like NAW.

JB has one of the most important talents for a player to have. He can break down his defender and get shots or looks for others and the coaching staff turned their nose at it. The narrative became he can't play with others and he's a bad defender... He might be better at both of those things than JC who gets an unlimited leash. It's just so weird to me.
At the end of the day NAW has nearly 3000 NBA minutes under his belt and the stuff Butler does is probably considered redundant. NAW has length and the Jazz will always need length if it can play D.

At the end of the day NAW has nearly 3000 NBA minutes under his belt and the stuff Butler does is probably considered redundant. NAW has length and the Jazz will always need length if it can play D.
I just wish we had taken JB with the #30th pick so he had a longer runway. With a two year deal you really have to get them on the court quickly to see what you have.

we are 6th overall tied with the bulls. on top of us are suns, warriors, grizz, heat, bucks, teams I am not sure we can beat with our undersized guards. we got exposed on some of our losses and will get exposed again come playoff time so Mike comes to mind if we really want to get over the hump. he's value is high and we could get a starter in return. a good piece we can pair with DM.

jc no idea if we can get a decent guy in return. we can package him though
Mike's value is high, and right now would be a great time to trade him, but our FO and coaching staff are 100% committed to a team with Conley on it. That might change this summer, but I would be shocked if Mike gets traded in the next 3.5 hours. The locker room is just fresh off dealing with the loss of Joe.

I just wish we had taken JB with the #30th pick so he had a longer runway. With a two year deal you really have to get them on the court quickly to see what you have.
Quin already knows. If he is on the floor for one minute and gets a turnover and goes 1-3 from the floor, then obviously his per36 numbers are he will average 36 turnovers and 33% from the field. Do you really want to play a guy that will turn the ball over 36 times per game? No siree bob you do not. Quin is a genie.