What's new

Game Thread Feb 19, 2021 8:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers

Added to Calendar: 02-19-21

If we get hot in the playoffs and do make it the finals the Nets are going to be a problem.
It is ok we can be the Detroit Pistons of Ben Wallace and they can be Malone's Los Angeles Lakers. We all know who won that series. I hope the Jazz have the problem of facing the Nets. If we have this problem it means we made the Finals and we will be underdogs. I like that idea.

I would love it if the Clippers were at full strength and the Jazz destroyed them. It would shake up the league. On the other side if the Jazz lose than everyone will say we are overrated and continue to overlook us.

tbh, I don't think his injury will get worse, it is just a matter if he can play with the pain involved. It could remain like that for months. might as well see what happens. Plus, it is illegal in California to continually hold a son away from his legal father, Joe Ingles.
This is an early contender for post of the thread.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Expecting a war. Marcus Morris was awfully quiet last game. Won't be tonight. Although we should be better tonight than we were on Wednesday. Let's goooooo

For all the talk about how rare it is for a team to win a championship without a top 10 player, you know what's even more rare?

Winning a championship without a top 10 defense in the regular season.

Over the last 30 years, 2 teams have done it: The 2001 Lakers and 1995 Rockets. With those teams, it should be noted the 2000 Lakers and 2002 Lakers both had elite regular season defenses. The 1995 Rockets finished with the 6th seed in the regular season due to injuries, but the previous year's team was the #2 defense in the NBA. Both the '01 Lakers and '95 Rockets were elite defensively come playoff time.

Brooklyn is 25th defensively this season. I'm not saying they're not capable of winning it all - but I am saying they're fighting against history to an even greater degree than the Jazz would be.

Honestly, we didn’t do a good job of breaking their defense last game. They totally altered our shot chart. If they weren’t short-handed and if Rudy hadn’t gone all-world, then it’s hard to imagine that we would win that game.

I’m curious to see Q’s adjustments..... but I’d also consider load management if I were our FO. We already have the season series. Dunno. Tough choice.
Eh, the adjustment I would make is start Conley and play Mitchell off ball until the 4th quarter.

I'd play to win tonight and maybe rest Bojan against the Hornets. A win tonight gives us a functional 5 .5 game against the Clippers who will be the team challenging us. It would be nice if we could coast a week or two before the playoffs rather than before the all-star game.

I would love it if the Clippers were at full strength and the Jazz destroyed them. It would shake up the league. On the other side if the Jazz lose than everyone will say we are overrated and continue to overlook us.

So a win-win for us regardless of the outcome? Excellent!

Honestly, we didn’t do a good job of breaking their defense last game. They totally altered our shot chart. If they weren’t short-handed and if Rudy hadn’t gone all-world, then it’s hard to imagine that we would win that game.

I’m curious to see Q’s adjustments..... but I’d also consider load management if I were our FO. We already have the season series. Dunno. Tough choice.
I think we play for the win, but definitely this will be one to see how QS could adjust, might be a glimpse into playoff strategy. This is one benefit of playing the same team twice in succession, as it let's us adjust to the same team, like a mini-playoff scenario.

For all the talk about how rare it is for a team to win a championship without a top 10 player, you know what's even more rare?

Winning a championship without a top 10 defense in the regular season.

Over the last 30 years, 2 teams have done it: The 2001 Lakers and 1995 Rockets. With those teams, it should be noted the 2000 Lakers and 2002 Lakers both had elite regular season defenses. The 1995 Rockets finished with the 6th seed in the regular season due to injuries, but the previous year's team was the #2 defense in the NBA. Both the '01 Lakers and '95 Rockets were elite defensively come playoff time.

Brooklyn is 25th defensively this season. I'm not saying they're not capable of winning it all - but I am saying they're fighting against history to an even greater degree than the Jazz would be.
The clips are two ranks below the jazz on team d. three ranks below them on offense. this worries me.

So bottom line is you are saying mitchell is a "pull my finger" guy?

:)
I'd like to see Conley teach Donovan about staying calm under pressure. What I mean by that is that Donovan's response to pressure is often what someone's natural inclination is with a Chinese finger trap -- to pull your fingers apart harder. When people apply pressure, he tries to push even harder over that pressure and it puts him into worse situation, but because it occasionally comes with a reward of a clear lane for an emphatic drive, or a step-back three, it gives this illusion that asserting oneself more is helping. Conley is more like the guy who calmly advances his fingers farther into the trap to release the pressure, then escapes. Donovan is much more "I need to pull my fingers out harder to get out of this thing!" kind of person. Beverley knows this, and Donovan needs to get better on taking the bait.

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app

The Jazz have covered the spread in 20 of the last 21 games in Vegas. The best stretch in the NBA in 25 years. What you do with that info is your business.
I read an article that the oddsmakers are deliberately inflating spreads to balance the betting (Jazz are getting lots of action.) Jazz have covered anyway.

I read an article that the oddsmakers are deliberately inflating spreads to balance the betting (Jazz are getting lots of action.) Jazz have covered anyway.
The Jazz are outperforming Bitcoin right now. Ride them like a girlfriend you are about to break up with.

Jazz are 4 point favorites tonight. That seems a bit high with the possibility of all of the Clippers coming back and the Jazz on the road.

It's weird that we're off to the best start in franchise history as I look back at the glory days of Stockton and Malone when we always seemed to be at/toward the top of the standings such as when we won 60+ and went to the Finals two years in a row.

If we fall behind early, I think we'll have a hard time finding the magic threes this game.

This is a true must win.