What's new

Florida to teach slavery was good for black people and self-defense by them was "acts of violence"

Incredible. Of course, sadly enough, I'm not surprised. None of this surprises me any more. White people feel their privilege slipping away and are becoming desperate to hold onto it. I suspect this kind of **** will get worse before it gets better.

To be fair, nothing in this article actually quotes the curriculum directly and it's full context. Additionally, the article states that the guy in charge disagrees that the curriculum paints slavery as beneficial to those enslaved.

Would of been nice to see how it's being taught in full context, to better judge the material. No matter how this stuff is taught to kids, someone is going to disagree on the way it's presented. Provided the material teaches facts about the atrocities of slavery, the fact that it's immoral and should never be condoned........ that's what I would want my kids to come away with.

To be fair, nothing in this article actually quotes the curriculum directly and it's full context. Additionally, the article states that the guy in charge disagrees that the curriculum paints slavery as beneficial to those enslaved.

Would of been nice to see how it's being taught in full context, to better judge the material. No matter how this stuff is taught to kids, someone is going to disagree on the way it's presented. Provided the material teaches facts about the atrocities of slavery, the fact that it's immoral and should never be condoned........ that's what I would want my kids to come away with.
There is a difference between slavery being beneficial overall and saying that slaves got some benefits, but the latter will read enough like the former to many people, undercutting the message of the civil rights movement.

There is a difference between slavery being beneficial overall and saying that slaves got some benefits, but the latter will read enough like the former to many people, undercutting the message of the civil rights movement.
True. It's been 20 years since I've been in the public school system, but I hope they are still teaching reading comprehension prior to venturing into teaching kids about slavery. Lol.

True. It's been 20 years since I've been in the public school system, but I hope they are still teaching reading comprehension prior to venturing into teaching kids about slavery. Lol.
It was more reading (and understanding) what they wanted to rather than lack of comprehension.

"Today's actions by the Florida state government are an attempt to bring our country back to a 19th century America where Black life was not valued, nor our rights protected. It is imperative that we understand that the horrors of slavery and Jim Crow were a violation of human rights and represent the darkest period in American history. We refuse to go back. The NAACP has been fighting against malicious actors such as those within the DeSantis Administration for over a century, and we're prepared to continue that fight by any means necessary. Our children deserve nothing less than truth, justice, and the equity our ancestors shed blood, sweat, and tears for."

"Today's actions by the Florida state government are an attempt to bring our country back to a 19th century America where Black life was not valued, nor our rights protected. It is imperative that we understand that the horrors of slavery and Jim Crow were a violation of human rights and represent the darkest period in American history. We refuse to go back. The NAACP has been fighting against malicious actors such as those within the DeSantis Administration for over a century, and we're prepared to continue that fight by any means necessary. Our children deserve nothing less than truth, justice, and the equity our ancestors shed blood, sweat, and tears for."
Oof

View: https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1682547800247001088?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

Have you read this?
Amazon product ASIN 0061792268View: https://www.amazon.com/Devil-Grove-Thurgood-Marshall-Groveland/dp/0061792268

It references the massacre a few times.

The book is about yet another ridiculous injustice against the entire black community a few years later. Marshall’s efforts for justice are incredible here. Florida has such a long and dark history of violence against black communities.

Reactions: Red
You have to wonder how he kept a straight face while that was coming out of his mouth.
Prime example of the illusory truth effect. Hear it enough and you start to believe it.

“Asked for more information on Friday, Florida’s Department of Education cited as references “The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution,” an 1895 book by William Cooper Nell, and “Encyclopedia of African American History 1619-1895,″ a 2006 book edited by Paul Finkelman.”

An analysis of the supposed justification for the standard:

Reactions: Red

I gotchu.

SS.68.AA.2.3
Examine the various duties and trades performed by slaves (e.g., agricultural
work, painting, carpentry, tailoring, domestic service, blacksmithing,
transportation).
Benchmark Clarifications:
Clarification 1: Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be
applied for their personal benefit

To be clear, saying that slaves were taught how to adult is pretty ****ed up.