What's new

Following 2016 potential draftees

The talk of if a player is a #1 or a #2 or a #3 is so ****ing annoying.

Hayward and Hood didn't improve? Are you high? Hayward turned into a very good defensive player this year and maintained his offensive ability. Hood actually played well for most of a season and performed as a starter, not just a player who came on at the end of the season.

Burks was injured, hard to improve while recovering from surgery.

Gobert's skill development is a work in progress, expecting immediate results is foolish.

Hayward and Hood improved. We agree on that.
Because both are good enough for their position - 6'8" SF/SG - then one of them is superfluous. Trade the one that is perceived as more valuable (Hayward) who is also less of a good deal (Hayward).

The reason the talk of #1, #2, and #3 is annoying to you is because you're on the wrong side of it. We're talking about stars. #2s aren't stars.

Hayward and Hood improved. We agree on that.
Because both are good enough for their position - 6'8" SF/SG - then one of them is superfluous. Trade the one that is perceived as more valuable (Hayward) who is also less of a good deal (Hayward).

The reason the talk of #1, #2, and #3 is annoying to you is because you're on the wrong side of it. We're talking about stars. #2s aren't stars.

"Trade Hayward because you are only allowed to have 1 good player at the position where depth is the most important in today's NBA"

"Trade Hayward because you are only allowed to have 1 good player at the position where depth is the most important in today's NBA"

The jazz have lots of "good" players. They need an elite player. An alpha. A #1. I'm trying to find a term that you will understand.

If anyone actually proposed a trade where Hayward gets traded for a super-star, cool.

If we are proposing a trade of Haywrd for Jamal Murray on the basis that some idiots think Jamal Murray is a super-star, then lulz.

MVP Curry vs. Future hall of famer Lebron.

Yes, both of those teams are deep. But they also have superstars.

Cavs aren't deep, they have Shumpert, Delavadova, and Richard Jefferson as their bench unit. They are the super-star driven team. They have 3 guys who, at least when they where brought together, where all considered a top 5 player at their position (at least).

The Warriors are a deep team who have former lottery picks coming off the bench. They are also the team that built their team through the draft and with patience. The Jazz need to be looking for the deal that lands us our Igoudala, not trying to trade away our best player for future assets or a rookie who has no chance of being as good as Hayward.

And they have depth why? Because they have a superstar making 11 million a year.

Yeah, they lucked out. So let's stop trying to luck out into ridiculous outcomes by trading away our best players and let them develop? You never know, maybe someone takes an unforeseen exponential leap like Curry/Green did.

Man after reading some of these posts I would have thought the Jazz won 9 games this past year.Many fans want to trade our whole team. Hayward, Hood, Favors, Exum, Burks and maybe Rudy have been mention in a trade in this thread. I hate to say it but King Cy is looking like the voice of reason in this thread. ;)

There has been no indication that Hayward wants to leave nor have the Jazz or Hayward even talked about his next contract. Yet people are trying to trade him for the #3 pick in a bad draft. I love Murray but he is not better than Hayward. He may be a better offensive player in the future but all round he has a long way to go to be as well rounded as Hayward.

I agree with Cy, #1, #2 etc, who cares? Jazz need more depth/talent on the bench, they don't need to trade away known talent to swing at potential talent. They need to draft BPA, preferable a player who can provide scoring off the bench and some defense. They need to go after a difference maker in FA and then get everyone healthy.

Last edited:
I'd much rather have the team go all in on DeMar DeRozan in free agency with a max contract, than trade Rodney Hood and the #12 pick (plus then some) for Jamal Murray. That allows the Jazz to add a potential #1 guy, keep Hood, add another developmental player and strengthen the team from the top down.

I'm far from sold on DeRozan as being a great fit, but he's at least an All Star caliber player who can be a #1 guy on offense (for a team that desperately needs one) and is still young enough to show improvement under a strong developmental coach like Quin Snyder. I like a lot of what DeRozan brings to the table. Good size and athleticism. Young, but established and successful. He has the ability to drive and dish, get to the line, put pressure on the defense and knock down shots. I don't like how much he relys on his mid-range game, but he is effective. The guy can score. The Jazz need guys who can score.

Great idea except that free agency is after the draft so there is no way to know if the jazz are going to get ddr.

I like the idea of trading to get murray. He has the chance to be very good. Possibly great with his attitude. I am just not sure hayward is my guy to trade.

I do like the addition of ddr if we use hood to trade for murray.

It looks like the formula for winning can go several different ways:

1) Get 2 or 3 superstars
2) Have 2-Deep starter depth at every position
3) Build continuity with the #1 and #2 - have people play together for a while so they know how to play as a team

The Jazz don't have any superstars so one approach is to blow things up and try to get some. This isn't easy to do.
The Jazz don't have starter depth at every position.
Point guard has one potential starter with Exum. Not sure Mack is a viable NBA starter
Shooting Guard has Hood and Burks, both with potential to be NBA starters, but both injury prone. Could still use insurance here. Hayward can also play the 2.
Small Forward: Hayward is a legit starter. No other legit starter depth
Power Forward: Favors is starter caliber, Lyles is potential starter depth.
Center: Gobert is starter caliber. No other players are.

So the Jazz has several holes to fill if they want to be 2-deep at every position. And this draft has some intriguing players who might be able to fit: J Murray, Dunn, D Murray, and Baldwin at point (would need to trade up for a shot at the first. Wings: Most of the intriguing wings are SG and not SF unfortunately. But Korkmaz, Valentine, Beasley, Richardson, Bembry and others could be intriguing. Power Forward: Chriss, Ellenson, and others. Some risky ones with Labrissiere and Maker. Center: Poeltl and Sabonis.

So I think there is a pretty good shot that the Jazz can add depth in this draft. Or maybe they trade for a more experienced starter. Probably not going to trade for a superstar and probably not going to find one in this draft.

Quality depth = Atlanta, Boston

Superstars + Quality Depth = GSW, OKC, SAS

I really dont feel like GSW has multiple super-stars though. I think they have 1, then 2 All-Stars. I just question the impact Klay or Green would have without Curry. If Thompson was in Hayward's role I know for a fact he would look much worse than Hayward. I dont think Hayward would be as good as Klay in Klay's role, but he would be better than Klay doing what Hayward does.

By definition, I think super-star should be top 10 player. I don't think Thompson or Green are top 10 players (or perceived) at any point in their career. Love and Irving might have been considered top 10 players before they joined Lebron.