What's new

Following 2016 potential draftees

Yeah, Murray sucks at everything. His freshman averages are the same as Kris Dunn's senior averages (and Murray did it for a bigger program), but he sucks at everything. Ev-er-y-thing.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Fair point. I agree that DMurray has a much higher ceiling than Dunn.

Remember, Dunn wasn't even on the radar of NBA scouts until his Jr year.

Dunn has worked hard to get to this point. I hope that DMurray has the same work ethic.

As a side note, Dunn would not be drafted this high is most other drafts.

Ben Simmons and Dejounte Murray shooting 3s. Walt Perrin said that Murray's shooting from 3-pt range was a big surprise in Murray's workout with the Jazz.

Better footage on Chad Ford's twitter page -- https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/738031922052497408

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzcU8rNL8Rw

I really hope they aren't using an open gym workout to assess his shooting ability... Use his in game shooting percentages... I can hit 70% of my open threes in a gym. Play with some guys that played at at the college level and they will shoot close to 80% when we are just shooting around.

Robert swift who flopped out of the league plays at the gym I go to... He hits well over 50% of his threes in an open gym.

The following 16 players are being invited to the green room for the NBA draft, per Marc Spears.

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
Dragan Bender, Maccabi Tel Aviv
Jaylen Brown, Cal
Marquese Chriss, Washington
Deyonta Davis, Michigan State
Kris Dunn, Providence
Henry Ellenson, Marquette
Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
Brandon Ingram, Duke
Skal Labissiere, Kentucky
Dejounte Murray, Washington
Jamal Murray, Kentucky
Jakob Poeltl, Utah
Malachi Richardson, Syracuse
Domantas Sabonis, Gonzaga
Ben Simmons, LSU

https://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/202748/furkan-kormaz-invited-in-nba-draft-green-room.html

Furkan is also invited but its doubtful because of the national team

Fair point. I agree that DMurray has a much higher ceiling than Dunn.

Remember, Dunn wasn't even on the radar of NBA scouts until his Jr year.

Dunn has worked hard to get to this point. I hope that DMurray has the same work ethic.

As a side note, Dunn would not be drafted this high is most other drafts.
Yep.

I just don't think Dejounte's numbers are something to brush off; you don't put up numbers like that if you don't have any basketball skills; it's not purely physical gifts. For instance, there are only two guards in DX's mock (including the 2nd round) that grabbed more rebounds than Murray--and they were both seniors. That's not something to scoff at.

I don't doubt that he plays out of control and has a lot of learning to do--but come on--he's a freshman.

I doubt D murray will still be available at 24. Beside the fact, if the Jazz draft 3 rookies this year and have at least two picks next year where are they going to put all these guys? I think there is a limit with how many guys you can have in the d-league with NBA contracts.

That's why they'd be taking turns. Two play with the Stars, while one travels with the team. Their entire rookie year would be about developing their NBA game by focusing on strength and conditioning, practicing with the team, but getting valuable minutes on the court in the D-League.

I doubt Murray is there either. . . but he was pick #26 in the DX mock that I used as a reference. Would be perfectly happy with Bembry, Zizic, Qi, Stone, Baldwin, etc. Some solid developmental prospects will be available at both #24 and #26. The Jazz happen to have one of the best developmental programs in the league.

As for next year, I'd highly doubt that the Jazz use both picks. I'd expect that both the Jazz and the Warriors will make the playoffs next year. My guess is that the Jazz would look to package both picks and Burks to move up for a single prospect.

Here's how I think it will play out ---

Toronto will take a PF, either Ellenson (offensive bias) or Deyonta Davis (defensive bias); they could take Skal, but that's risky for a team that needs a contributor right away.

Milwaukee will be tempted by PGs, but will likely take Poeltl; he's a legit 5 on a team that desperately needs one. They'll move Greg Monroe for pennies.

Orlando will be looking at Deyonta Davis (if he's still available), Malachi Richardson, Skal Labissiere, and possibly Furkan Korkmaz, though they already have Hezonja and Fournier who do similar things.

So for Utah, assume Davis, Poeltl and either Skal or Richardson are gone 9 - 11. The Jazz are then debating Skal/Richardson, Korkmaz and Dejounte Murray. If they go big, it's probably Ellenson or Zizic unless they want to swing for Maker. That's not a bad position to be in, tbh. The Jazz will get a quality player no matter what direction they go.

I doubt D murray will still be available at 24. Beside the fact, if the Jazz draft 3 rookies this year and have at least two picks next year where are they going to put all these guys? I think there is a limit with how many guys you can have in the d-league with NBA contracts.

I am starting to doubt that DMurray will be available at 12.

Thon Maker workouts...

Charlotte ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclHBIC1Rc0

Shooting/footwork ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaPxvoz8iv0

Toronto is taking a serious look at Skal for #9. Skal and Poeltl worked out against each other.

Dejounte Murray and Wade Baldwin went head to head in a workout for Milwaukee.

Murray is a poor shooter; relies far too heavily on floaters to finish at the rim; does excel in early offense and transition, but also lacks the ability to finish at the bucket; has poor offensive decision-making skills; isn’t a very good defender — Oh, and did I mention that despite Washington likely sending two guys to the first round of the NBA Draft that the team itself wasn’t very good?

Yep, let me recap. Defense, poor. Offense, poor. Shooting, poor. Measurables, great. Speed, great.

Too risky for me.

It's not like we have the pick of the litter at 12. Any high potential picks will have serious red flags. You short changed him also by not including rebounding. He is a great rebounder and it's important to have rebounding guards with so many long rebounds from 3's happening.

Skal makes a lot of sense for Toronto at #9. They already have an awesome squad. Ujiri has also been gambling on upside for quite some time.
Even if they retain Biyombo they could use him as an insurance. Another high variance guy.
They also got decent capspace if DeRozan and Biyombo trust they will get their offer a week later so Ujiri can fish for free agent impact players first. That's the risk though. But even if they extend them right away I feel like they won't fool themselves that there's this magic impact player from college whose talent transitions in season 1...

So Maker working out for the Hornets means his draftrange is somewhat late teens mid 20s, unless the Hornets have a trade lined up.

I just hope we'll bet on maximum talent/realistic upside.

I'm higher than most on both Skal and Brown. I wonder if I have too much trust in our player development?

Maker probably goes late teens.

Skal and Poeltl are probably both gone by 12 unless Deyonta Davis throws a wrench. I'd be surprised if Sabonis goes before us.

I think there is a good chance that the Jazz take a swing on Dejounte Murray. The upside is legit and it could be enough to put Murray ahead of Korkmaz and Davis. I wouldn't overlook Ellenson as a sleeper pick stretch 5. I'm surprised he hasn't worked out for us. Richardson remains a possibility, but I don't get the sense that the Jazz are in love with him.

I'm higher than most on both Skal and Brown. I wonder if I have too much trust in our player development?

My hesitation with Skal is that a guy with that talent should be able to put the ball down and go hard to the rim, and I never see it with him. He likes his jump hooks and turn-around Js. At least Maker will go the hole and draw fouls.

My hesitation with Skal is that a guy with that talent should be able to put the ball down and go hard to the rim, and I never see it with him. He likes his jump hooks and turn-around Js. At least Maker will go the hole and draw fouls.

I think whoever drafts Skal should send him to a Navy Seal boot camp or something like that.

Yeah, Murray sucks at everything. His freshman averages are the same as Kris Dunn's senior averages (and Murray did it for a bigger program), but he sucks at everything. Ev-er-y-thing.

Off topic and arcane, but Gary Oldman in Leon The Professional could deliver your line "EV-er-y-thing" with style.

There's some chatter that the Spurs are trying to trade up to 12 in the draft. It's not clear who the target is, but Spurs fans think it could be Baldwin or Skal. Will try to find a good link. Seems like the Spurs are hitting on a bunch of teams to move up. They're willing to offer Danny Green. Manu and Tony Parker are on their last legs, and the Spurs are looking for a starter in the backcourt.

Last edited:
The two players that are potentially available at 12 that I want are Deyonta Davis and DMurray. Now I am starting to think both will be gone.

If those two players are in the top ten, then someones gotta fall and the players I think that could fall lower than currently projected are Hield (7-11, Baldwin (10 or lower), Bender (7-11) and Poeltl (6-14).

I am starting to think that if Davis and DMurray are gone before 12, that we trade down.

Furkan Korkmaz in Denver. Apparently 20+ teams saw him in NY when he arrived last week. I could believe he's 6'8". Shooting stroke is elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80KLlFXcEtc