What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Is it just me or does PG_AB always name 30-40 no name prospects in every draft thread and says they are underrated. Dude is a broken record. It feels like he's covering his ***. I just want to know Cy's draft crush? He seems to be right every year or at the very least his guy turns out to not be a total bust. Unlike PG he doesn't name fifty + prospects.

Do you consider yourself a college basketball fan? Are you a casual or hardcore observer? I know the answers to these questions already, you're projecting them..

My knowledge spans coast to coast, so I know a lot of players. Guilty as charged. The tournament is 65 teams, forgive me for actually preparing for it, the throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks method is tried and tested --- but I must be an *******, it's not good enough for me.

this is like if we were playing some geography contest and I win because I know all the capitals.. I get blamed for having an overabundance of on-topic knowledge... it's less fun with me here..

The facts of the matter are i raise the collective knowledge of this thread immensely just by posting here.. who are we kidding? You guys are lottery bound... This conversation, and what I know, is supremely relevant to the Jazz and this thread..

This is a west coast based forum.. Who here has their fingers on the pulse of the east coast like me?? There's plenty of reasons why I know all these players..

The sad truth is I usually beat Cy to the punch by months or years, y'all just change the narrative.. Look no further than Jaren Jackson Jr, Keita Bates Diop and Chandler Hutchinson this year.. In fact Cy's strategy probably revolves around mining my posts for actionable info... LOL.. All these players I was the first to post about em...

Cy just does some marketing type of ******** spins and tries to call his shot early so he can maintain a "i told you so" tone.. it's simple tactics that i'm sure fly over the heads of many. He fixates on some top-5 or top-10 pick --- wow what a parlor trick!! he's a know it all who really goes out on a ledge.

He was a Trey Burke supporter tho for sure, especially in comparison to Dennis Schroder.... Right?

Last edited:
MSU 2017Commit Jaren Jackson is a player sure to get mentioned here later as a possible 1 and done. He's 6'10 with a 7'4" wingspan and a damn fluid athlete. He's got the potential to easily go in the top-40. His father was on the Spurs '99 championship team.

December 15 2016.
Jaren Jackson Jr is a player I have at #30 in my last 2018 mock. Rivals just bumped himup from the30's into the top-10.

January 17th 2017.
Here's the aforementioned Jaren Jackson Jr.'s funky shooting mechanics (on a 4pt play) He shoots a bit of a quick release Shawn Marion typa shot.
[tweet]817845636338855937[/tweet]
He's gonna matchup vs Marvin Bagley in 3 days. In the matchup from the clip vs Findlay Prep he dropped 27 14 boards and 2 blocks.

Here's Kobe dunking on Jaren Jackson Sr. (who was 6'4 --- Junior is 6'10") who plyed 13 NBA seasons as a journeyman and also was coaching in the D-League a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkl8weyYdqk

Jan 17th. I then posted a mock with Jackson 12th. Back in december 2016 I had him 30th on a mock and he was still rated 4-stars by many services..

ESPN's Jonathan Givony has a recently updated mock that looks interesting. Having read the article, here is my personal review and interpretation of who Givony thinks goes in the top 20:

1 Kings - Doncic
2 Hawks - Ayton
3 Suns - Bamba
4 Magic - Bagley
5 Bulls - Jackson
6 Cavs (fr. BK) - Porter
7 Sixers (fr. LAL) - Young
8 Mavs - Carter
9 Grizzlies - Miles Bridges
10 Knicks - Sexton
11 Jazz - Mikal Bridges
12 Hornets - Knox
13 Clippers - R. Williams
14 Nuggets - T. Brown
15 Pacers - Musa
16 Pistons - Hutchinson
17 Bucks - Gafford
18 Blazers - Walker
19 Pels - Gilgeous-Alexander
20 Wiz - B. Brown

Keep in mind that the Lakers and Nets are not motivated to tank, since they don't have their own picks this year. The Jazz are tied with the Knicks and within 2.5 games of the Nets, Bulls, Lakers and Grizzlies. That's 5 teams we could shake if we're properly motivated. That could get us to #6 or #7.

ESPN's Jonathan Givony has a recently updated mock that looks interesting. Having read the article, here is my personal review and interpretation of who Givony thinks goes in the top 20:

1 Kings - Doncic
2 Hawks - Ayton
3 Suns - Bamba
4 Magic - Bagley
5 Bulls - Jackson
6 Cavs (fr. BK) - Porter
7 Sixers (fr. LAL) - Young
8 Mavs - Carter
9 Grizzlies - Miles Bridges
10 Knicks - Sexton
11 Jazz - Mikal Bridges
12 Hornets - Knox
13 Clippers - R. Williams
14 Nuggets - T. Brown
15 Pacers - Musa
16 Pistons - Hutchinson
17 Bucks - Gafford
18 Blazers - Walker
19 Pels - Gilgeous-Alexander
20 Wiz - B. Brown
I’d be doing backflips if Mikal Bridges fell to the Jazz.

I’d be doing backflips if Mikal Bridges fell to the Jazz.

I would train to get physically able to do backflips and then do some backflips with you.

I have a hard time seeing Wendell Carter going before either Bridges.

Uhh, I really didnt dive too deeply into drafts back then. I just really liked OPJR and that's it. I thought Burke was good and I thought Giannis was interesting. Wouldn't say I evaluated either more than surface level.

Kuzma is Cy's big call... a consensus second rounder that didn't look like a shooter by the numbers. Then he rises to the first and should have been a lotto pick. Cy called it early and never departed.

Some thought Lydon would be a better shooter... I won't name names cuz that would make me look bad.

Do you consider yourself a college basketball fan? Are you a casual or hardcore observer? I know the answers to these questions already, you're projecting them..

My knowledge spans coast to coast, so I know a lot of players. Guilty as charged. The tournament is 65 teams, forgive me for actually preparing for it, the throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks method is tried and tested --- but I must be an *******, it's not good enough for me.

this is like if we were playing some geography contest and I win because I know all the capitals.. I get blamed for having an overabundance of on-topic knowledge... it's less fun with me here..

The facts of the matter are i raise the collective knowledge of this thread immensely just by posting here.. who are we kidding? You guys are lottery bound... This conversation, and what I know, is supremely relevant to the Jazz and this thread..

This is a west coast based forum.. Who here has their fingers on the pulse of the east coast like me?? There's plenty of reasons why I know all these players..

The sad truth is I usually beat Cy to the punch by months or years, y'all just change the narrative.. Look no further than Jaren Jackson Jr, Keita Bates Diop and Chandler Hutchinson this year.. In fact Cy's strategy probably revolves around mining my posts for actionable info... LOL.. All these players I was the first to post about em...

Cy just does some marketing type of ******** spins and tries to call his shot early so he can maintain a "i told you so" tone.. it's simple tactics that i'm sure fly over the heads of many. He fixates on some top-5 or top-10 pick --- wow what a parlor trick!! he's a know it all who really goes out on a ledge.

He was a Trey Burke supporter tho for sure, especially in comparison to Dennis Schroder.... Right?

I feel like I've read this same exact post from you a hundred times over. Nothing but fluf.

We get it you like to watch kids play ball, and no one cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhh, I really didnt dive too deeply into drafts back then. I just really liked OPJR and that's it. I thought Burke was good and I thought Giannis was interesting. Wouldn't say I evaluated either more than surface level.
I didn’t really follow pro basketball or the draft hardly at all back then. Really liked Steven Adams, Giannis, Gobert and Schroder in that draft. Was really hoping the Jazz could turn 14 and 21 into two of those guys. Hated the Burke pick. Loved the move up for Gobert. My wife thought it was odd that I was more excited for the #27 pick than for the #9 pick.

Kuzma is Cy's big call... a consensus second rounder that didn't look like a shooter by the numbers. Then he rises to the first and should have been a lotto pick. Cy called it early and never departed.

I'm mostly a lurker around here but what about Mitchell? Seems like Cy was all over that as well.

I'd say Cy is decent (which puts him at one of the best in the forum). He stans hard for random-*** ppl which is always fun and good, but he really nailed the Kuzma love. He has also stan'd for ppl who underwhelmed, but who hasn't.

I usually just fall in love with players who have certain "styles of play", as opposed to analyzing what's best for the Jazz.

I was super meh on the Lyles pick, thought we should have gone with DBooker. Infamously stoked with the Burke pick, but that was mainly skewed by our need for a PG plus my desire to have some fun with his persona. I thought we should've picked Chris Singleton with the Burks pick, instead of Kawhi.I loved Gordon, and preferred him to Paul George.

--

At the end of the day, it's hard to have opinions on these cats unless you follow them constantly, and have a steady catalogue of advanced stats to see how they fit onto your team. Even then, intangibles make a big difference and that can be hard to gauge when you're trying to pick who to draft.

I've been really bummed lately that we went with Tony Bradley and didn't try to trade up to get Kuzma. Just imagine that roster-- Rubio - Mitchell - Ingles - Kuzma - Gobert.

I'm realizing we have a bit of a hole in case we lose Rodney. Sigh.