What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

How is Ingles even remotely comparable to Williams-Goss?

Because Joe Ingles flew under the radar, now every washout is going to end up being successful? Ingles is the exception to the rule, so it makes no sense to use the exception as some sort of applicable comparison. Maybe if he had been cut by Doc Rivers, but dude got cut by Quin Snyder. I wouldn't be holding your breath for him to turn into the next Jingles, despite being crowned Utah's best point guard by Zag fans as soon as he was drafted.
Not me. I went on record as saying he'd be a terrific backup. And he still might. Jazz encouraged him to sign in Europe so he could get playing time and they could retain his rights. Neto was managed the same way. NWG isn't completely out of the picture.

I still think there's a good chance the rights to whoever the Jazz draft may be involved in a trade for a veteran. DL didn't want to deal the Jazz' pick when it looked like it would be top-10. But now, that pick is likely in the late teens and the team needs an established PF, not a developmental player.

Last edited:
How is Ingles even remotely comparable to Williams-Goss?

Because Joe Ingles flew under the radar, now every washout is going to end up being successful? Ingles is the exception to the rule, so it makes no sense to use the exception as some sort of applicable comparison. Maybe if he had been cut by Doc Rivers, but dude got cut by Quin Snyder. I wouldn't be holding your breath for him to turn into the next Jingles, despite being crowned Utah's best point guard by Zag fans as soon as he was drafted.
1. Big for position
2. Played in Europe and had great success
3. Great shooter
4. Seen as being not athletic enough for the NBA
5. Both played poorly in Summer League

And how the **** is NWG a washout? Because he performed poorly in ONE Summer League? He then goes to a Eurocup team, has a great year, and upsets a Euroleague team in his rookie season for the Serbian Cup. Is that being a washout? We are talking about a guy who is the 2nd leading scorer and 2nd leading assist man in the 3rd best league in the world. He isnt a washout.

No one is saying because Joe Ingles is now a good starter then NWG must be a good starter. We are just saying that the guy is probably worth taking another look at and given a more substantial chance (a roster spot).

What's with the NWG love? I mean he could still be somebody I guess, it's not impossible, but it seems unlikely, and I'd hate to waste a roster spot on a guy at a position where we're already pretty set (Rubio/Mitchell/Exum/Neto/Ingles all capable of taking PG duties).

What's with the NWG love? I mean he could still be somebody I guess, it's not impossible, but it seems unlikely, and I'd hate to waste a roster spot on a guy at a position where we're already pretty set (Rubio/Mitchell/Exum/Neto/Ingles all capable of taking PG duties).

He was really bad but might be a player that looks bad in that type of situation and does better with competent players running a system the right way.

If he is good enough to play he can switch between both guard spots and Neto Exum and Rubio could all be off the roster in 2 years. Build the pipeline.

becasue NWG has everything to do with the 2018 draft class

1. He has 2-guard size and he just shot 47% from the 3pt line in 29 European games.
2. Neto is a free agent next year
3. You can never have enough players who can play PG
4. He is a player the Jazz have rights to so it's wild people care about his progress as a player on a Jazz forum
5. That last point was sarcasm

1. He has 2-guard size and he just shot 47% from the 3pt line in 29 European games.
4. He is a player the Jazz have rights to so it's wild people care about his progress as a player on a Jazz forum
Agree with your points. I think it's unlikely NWG gets a spot if Neto returns...unless Utah is unable to keep Dante. I know Jazz have others who are versatile enough to play PG. But Jazz will likely still keep 3 true PG's on the roster.

PG's = 3; Wings = 6; Bigs = 6.
Or might just carry 14 players next year with wings/bigs at 5 1/2 each (Crowder or Sefolosha counting as that 50/50 player).

Agree with your points. I think it's unlikely NWG gets a spot if Neto returns...unless Utah is unable to keep Dante. I know Jazz have others who are versatile enough to play PG. But Jazz will likely still keep 3 true PG's on the roster.

PG's = 3; Wings = 6; Bigs = 6.
Or might just carry 14 players next year with wings/bigs at 5 1/2 each (Crowder or Sefolosha counting as that 50/50 player).
Exum and NWG arent true PG's....

Right now the Jazz only have 2, Rubio and Neto, and I dont think Neto is back next year.

"We are just saying that the guy is probably worth taking another look at and given a more substantial chance (a roster spot)."

That's not just caring about his progress, you obviously think he could be a useful player in the league. That's what I'm not agreeing with. Another look as in bring him back for training camp, sure. He's done nothing close to deserving a roster spot though.

2-guard size is also overselling it a bit. He's got enough size he could play the spot, but he'd clearly be one of the smallest 2's in the league.

"We are just saying that the guy is probably worth taking another look at and given a more substantial chance (a roster spot)."

That's not just caring about his progress, you obviously think he could be a useful player in the league. That's what I'm not agreeing with. Another look as in bring him back for training camp, sure. He's done nothing close to deserving a roster spot though.

2-guard size is also overselling it a bit. He's got enough size he could play the spot, but he'd clearly be one of the smallest 2's in the league.
He clearly wouldn't be. He is right about average for a rotation 2-guard (6'4 w/ a 6'7 wingspan). No one is calling him a starter.

My favorite in our range:

THe shot looks pure. The %s are not amazing but it looks too good to not translate well to the league IMO.
I like him a lot too, but I don't expect him to fall to us, since it looks like we'll be in the playoffs.

Anfernee Simons is probably more likely to be available post-lottery.

Sent from my SM-G930P using JazzFanz mobile app

Williams-Goss looked a bit better than Nate Wolters as a PG, and he can shoot the 3. Maybe he gets in the league at some point. Jazz can bring him in over the summer. During last summer his lack of athleticism really stood out, though in fairness he was subbing in for Mitchell and Exum. That's probably his biggest question mark -- can he get much done in an NBA setting.

If the Jazz are drafting 18 - 20, then getting a versatile guard who can play next to Mitchell in a 3-guard rotation isn't a bad idea. Exum may miss games. Rubio's only got one more year on his deal. Several wings should be on the board. I'm not sure if any of them really moves the needle, but I haven't seen too much of them. Gilgeous-Alexander, Simons, Gary Trent, maybe Bruce Brown could go in that range.

Also, see if Issac Bonga puts himself on the map during workout season. He's a bit of an unknown right now.

NWG had a much better Eurocup rookie season than Royce O'Neale had. The Jazz also invested a pick into him, so it's obvious they have some kind of long-term interest. I find the people dismissing the idea laughable when the Jazz tracked Royce for 2 years in Europe, even though they didnt draft him.