What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

You have to think that Washington is willing part with #15 too. But is there anyone at 14 or 15 that is better than we can draft at 21?

If there's a guy you want, then yeah, you move up to make sure you can secure him. Maybe the deal gets completed when the team you're trading with is on the clock.

Depends on how the Jazz feel about Troy Brown, Elie Okobo or even Anfernee Simons. Those guys could all be gone by 21.

I just don't see how the Jazz could trade up more than maybe a handful of spots.

I don't think that they'll trade any of the following..
Donovan Mitchell
Rudy Gobert
Ricky Rubio
Joe Ingles
Royce O'neale
Jae Crowder

The non guaranteed contracts of Ekpe Udoh, Thabo Sefolosha and Jonas Jerebko can't be traded.

Derrick Favors, Dante Exum and Raul Neto are entering free agency and can't be traded.

Alec Burks isn't a valuable trade chip.

That leaves #21, #52, Tony Bradley and future picks as our trade ammo. And it's not going to help us move up very far. Maybe as high as 15 or 16, maaayyybbbeee. The only other way that we are going to move up is if we take a bad contract. And seeing as how the Jazz would be smart to avoid adding any salary for 2019 that's probably not going to happen.

I don't know why Locke keeps talking about trading up. It doesn't seem like a likelihood this year.

At least one of KBD, Okobo, Huerter or Simons will be available at 21. However, it's quite possible that only one of them will be left on the board. It's pretty safe to assume that Brown and Zhaire Smith will be gone. If we don't move up a few spots other teams will effectively make our choice for us.

Last edited:
I can't remember. Somebody please clarify - if we pick up the options on the nonguaranteed guys prior to the draft, are they eligible to be traded as contracts that expire in 2019?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I can't remember. Somebody please clarify - if we pick up the options on the nonguaranteed guys prior to the draft, are they eligible to be traded as contracts that expire in 2019?

I think they can be traded up until their guarantee dates. David Locke's podcast today seemed to suggest the same. He was saying we could trade Burks, Sefalosha, Udoh and Jerebko to Washington to take back Otto Porter's contract, with the idea that Washington would waive the non-guaranteed guys to clear salary.

Locke is wrong. The CBA changes in 2017 made it so only the guaranteed portions of contracts count towards trades after the season ends.

This has been discussed numerous times. That Locke has remained ignorant is pretty alarming.

I just don't see how the Jazz could trade up more than maybe a handful of spots.

I don't think that they'll trade any of the following..
Donovan Mitchell
Rudy Gobert
Ricky Rubio
Joe Ingles
Royce O'neale
Jae Crowder

The non guaranteed contracts of Ekpe Udoh, Thabo Sefolosha and Jonas Jerebko can't be traded.

Derrick Favors, Dante Exum and Raul Neto are entering free agency and can't be traded.

Alec Burks isn't a valuable trade chip.

That leaves #21, #52, Tony Bradley and future picks as our trade ammo. And it's not going to help us move up very far. Maybe as high as 15 or 16, maaayyybbbeee. The only other way that we are going to move up is if we take a bad contract. And seeing as how the Jazz would be smart to avoid adding any salary for 2019 that's probably not going to happen.

I don't know why Locke keeps talking about trading up. It doesn't seem like a likelihood this year.

For the Charlotte trade you’d have to take back Marvin Williams at least. He’s making like 14 mil this coming year and 15 mil the year after.

Tate Frazier on the Ringer NBA draft show also said that he thinks Charlotte is a likely team to trade back to get rid of salary. I know he’s not some definitive source, he’s just a Charlotte fan and was basing it on how the franchise operates.

When we talked about the nonguaranteed guys before, we thought we could trade them and the other team could just let them go saving them a ton of money immediately. That can't happen.

What we are talking about now is guaranteeing their contracts for 2018/19 then trade them as contracts that expire in 2019.

Comparing Anfernee Simons' NBA Combine to John Wall's Combine below. Note that Simons is a much better shooter, though a lesser defender at this stage.

Wall (2010) --
- Height w/o shoes: 6' 2.75"
- Weight: 195 lbs.
- Wingspan: 6' 9.25"
- Standing Reach: 8' 5.5"
- Max Vertical: 39.0"
- 3/4 Court Sprint: 3.14 sec.

Simons (2018) --
- Height w/o shoes: 6' 2.25"
- Weight: 183 lbs.
- Wingspan: 6' 9.25"
- Standing Reach: 8' 3.5"
- Max Vertical: 41.5"
- 3/4 Court Sprint: 3.10 sec.

For the Charlotte trade you’d have to take back Marvin Williams at least. He’s making like 14 mil this coming year and 15 mil the year after.

Tate Frazier on the Ringer NBA draft show also said that he thinks Charlotte is a likely team to trade back to get rid of salary. I know he’s not some definitive source, he’s just a Charlotte fan and was basing it on how the franchise operates.

I really don't think the Jazz would do that deal. It would be the Jazz giving up the last chance they will have at cap space before they need to re-sign DM. They would be banking everything on the 11th pick being the player that gets this team over the top. It would be very very dumb IMO.