What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

Sam Vecenie of The Athletic has a new draft based on what he's hearing from front offices. Let me know if there are any players you are interested in where they are on this board.

Top 5:
1. Minn - LaMelo Ball (Minn looking to either move the pick, or move the player eventually if they can't move the pick before the draft)
2. GSW - Anthony Edwards (Lots of smokescreens from GSW saying they like a new player seemingly every day. Also wants to move pick)
3. Charlotte - James Wiseman (Might take an older prospects with more accolades based on their past, but heard early they like Wiseman a lot)
4. Chicago - Deni Avdija
5. Cleveland - Obi Toppin (Heard Avdija and Toppin to Cleveland the most)

Here's his blurb on the Jazz

23. Utah Jazz
Josh Green | 6-6 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona

The Jazz certainly want a wing, but there aren’t a ton of them in this area of the draft unless they’re willing to reach for an older guy like Elijah Hughes or Desmond Bane. And honestly, I’m not totally convinced that such a pick would be a reach, given that I have both ranked ahead of Green on my personal board. But in general, across the league, Green is seen in higher standing than those guys. I also wouldn’t rule out a big man like Daniel Oturu, Zeke Nnaji or Xavier Tillman here.

And players near the Jazz's pick.

19. Brooklyn - Cole Anthony
20. Miami - Tre Jones
21. Philly - RJ Hampton
22. Denver - Isaiah Stewart
24. Milwaukee - Theo Maledon
25. OKC - Jaden McDaniels
Paul Reed

I know the draft stinks at the top, and we got jobbed on position.

But the more I dig in, there are a lot of big, wing, 3 and D guys. Just exactly what we need. And I think someone will be there.

Hopefully they identify a few favorites and do what it takes to nab one. I think drafting any other kind of player is a mistake.

I know the draft stinks at the top, and we got jobbed on position.

But the more I dig in, there are a lot of big, wing, 3 and D guys. Just exactly what we need. And I think someone will be there.

Hopefully they identify a few favorites and do what it takes to nab one. I think drafting any other kind of player is a mistake.
It doesnt stink at the top! I swear I end up having to explain this everyyear, no one ever posts a solid rebuttal either..

Any draft where it seems the next year('21) has more top-heavy talent, the preceding draft(this year) ends up getting KILLED and called bad at the top... That is in fact the way the mechanism works, the way the cookie crumbles, and a lot of people who think/feel their being objective towards the individuals get swept up in that undertoe being pushed by the scouting services....

its true its true its true... thats the way it works... I've been watching it closely for years, that reaction is conjured up so often. Too often. It's become a peice of 'info' people feel confident in being able to pass along as 'common knowledge'

Look no further than the 2013 draft or lets call it - The Gobert draft... In that draft the experts were more sure than ever that there was a lack of top-end talent.... With the benefit of hindsight there was plenty of high-end talent in that draft though, mainly international players who were overlooked....

and furthermore the 2014 draft which was being used as some talent laden draft being held over the head of the 2013 draft ends up with a ton of DUDS in the lotto that people thought were surefire....

Thats just how it is... Your version of the events is much simpler, but I'm telling you it's dangerously close to misinformation. It's not even information though, it's really peoples hunches being passed along like a game of telephone. They are blanket statements about something that is on an ultra detailed case by case basis, with more variables than you can count.

Last edited:
It doesnt stink at the top! I swear I end up having to explain this everyyear, no one ever posts a solid rebuttal either..

Any draft where it seems the next year('21) has more top-heavy talent, the preceding draft(this year) ends up getting KILLED and called bad at the top... That is in fact the way the mechanism works, the way the cookie crumbles, and a lot of people who think/feel their being objective towards the individuals get swept up in that undertoe being pushed by the scouting services....

its true its true its true... thats the way it works... I've been watching it closely for years, that reaction is conjured up so often. Too often. It's become a peice of 'info' people feel confident in being able to pass along as 'common knowledge'

Look no further than the 2013 draft or lets call it - The Gobert draft... In that draft the experts were more sure than ever that there was a lack of top-end talent.... With the benefit of hindsight there was plenty of high-end talent in that draft though, mainly international players who were overlooked....

and furthermore the 2014 draft which was being used as some talent laden draft being held over the head of the 2013 draft ends up with a ton of DUDS in the lotto that people thought were surefire....

Thats just how it is... Your version of the events is much simpler, but I'm telling you it's dangerously close to misinformation. It's not even information though, it's really peoples hunches being passed along like a game of telephone. They are blanket statements about something that is on an ultra detailed case by case basis, with more variables than you can count.
Here is my pick for 2nd round sleeper or UDFA Kevon Harris Southland Conference player of the year in 2020.

Harris has been a team leader on and off the court at SFA. This past season he became the 31st player in school history to reach 1,000 points. At 6′6, 219 pounds, Harris has the body of a NBA player. While many might write him off as a big player in a small Southland League, Harris has been able to hold his own against bigger teams with NBA talent such as Miami, Baylor, LSU, Alabama, Missouri and Texas Tech.
“I am a big fan of James Harden and really Lance Stevenson,” Harris said. “I just like his mentality, his grit, his presence on the court. I can relate to that.”

Here is my pick for 2nd round sleeper or UDFA Kevon Harris Southland Conference player of the year in 2020.

Harris has been a team leader on and off the court at SFA. This past season he became the 31st player in school history to reach 1,000 points. At 6′6, 219 pounds, Harris has the body of a NBA player. While many might write him off as a big player in a small Southland League, Harris has been able to hold his own against bigger teams with NBA talent such as Miami, Baylor, LSU, Alabama, Missouri and Texas Tech.
“I am a big fan of James Harden and really Lance Stevenson,” Harris said. “I just like his mentality, his grit, his presence on the court. I can relate to that.”
He looks solid to me. By far, and I do mean by-far, my biggest issue is he's 23 years old.

He'd be one of the guys where in a normal year i'd say "lets see what he does in summer-league"

I'll probably move this dude into my top 30 at some point. Older European player (22), but he is freaking long. Definitely has some Joe Ingles/Kyle Anderson vibes. Would fit great in Utah's offense and his defensive potential is huge.

If Quin Snyder is still looking for a versatile 6'9" guy who can shoot, rebound and playmake as a 4/5 (think Trey Lyles or Juwan Morgan more recently), then I still think they should take a serious look at Reggie Perry. I know I've mentioned him a few times. He's probably a backup, but he's bigger than Jarrell Brantley, he rebounds better, and he usually plays harder. I think he's a 1st-round quality talent, maybe just a hair below Jalen Smith, but he's more positionally versatile. It looks as though he'll go in the mid-2nd round. The word is that he has an attitude and off-court issues, but I'm wondering how big those concerns really are.

If Quin Snyder is still looking for a versatile 6'9" guy who can shoot, rebound and playmake as a 4/5 (think Trey Lyles or Juwan Morgan more recently), then I still think they should take a serious look at Reggie Perry. I know I've mentioned him a few times. He's probably a backup, but he's bigger than Jarrell Brantley, he rebounds better, and he usually plays harder. I think he's a 1st-round quality talent, maybe just a hair below Jalen Smith, but he's more positionally versatile. It looks as though he'll go in the mid-2nd round. The word is that he has an attitude and off-court issues, but I'm wondering how big those concerns really are.

He's isnt versatile. He's going to be a bad defender in the NBA and is a modern day tweener. He can't shoot. Jalen Smith is way better.

I'll probably move this dude into my top 30 at some point. Older European player (22), but he is freaking long. Definitely has some Joe Ingles/Kyle Anderson vibes. Would fit great in Utah's offense and his defensive potential is huge.

Sold. Take a chance for the grand ****ing slam. Swing away. If we’re so great with development, draft him.

Also, as a side note, I think we’re way past the point of Euros being often soft or not panning out like I feel was the case 10-20 years ago. In fact, I’d guess they “pan out” more often than Americans. IDK.

He's isnt versatile. He's going to be a bad defender in the NBA and is a modern day tweener. He can't shoot. Jalen Smith is way better.

He can shoot and score in different ways. His TS%, eFG% and FT% are all better than Eric Paschall. He also showed flashes of playmaking. The defense is a question mark, but he's got the tools and the motor.

He can shoot and score in different ways. His TS%, eFG% and FT% are all better than Eric Paschall. He also showed flashes of playmaking. The defense is a question mark, but he's got the tools and the motor.
I mean, I've watched him a lot the last two years. He isnt the player you think he is. He's Bobby Portis at best.

And he doesnt really have the tools. He cant defend on the perimeter and he isnt a rim protector.

Reggie Perry isnt just positionally flexible. He has more SF-like tricks up his sleeve than you'd think. Was tasked with holding down the C spot in college. While a player like Jalen Smith offensively on the perimeter is dangerous with mostly just his jumpshot, Perry has much more of an "offensive players" arsenal and face up ability.

All of Reggie Perry's positives are very theoretical. His weaknesses are very real. To me he is an undrafted FA type. Worth a spot on the SL team, but I wouldnt waste a pick on him.

He's a 6'10 center with a 7' wingspan who cant guard in space or shot block. He has to really hit as a shooter and hustle guy to have a chance in the NBA. I highly doubt the playmaking ever takes off in the NBA.

Not a Brantley fan at all, but he's a better project than Perry because at least Brantley had lateral quickness for his size w/ a plus wingspan.

All of Reggie Perry's positives are very theoretical. His weaknesses are very real. To me he is an undrafted FA type. Worth a spot on the SL team, but I wouldnt waste a pick on him.

He's a 6'10 center with a 7' wingspan who cant guard in space or shot block. He has to really hit as a shooter and hustle guy to have a chance in the NBA. I highly doubt the playmaking ever takes off in the NBA.

Not a Brantley fan at all, but he's a better project than Perry because at least Brantley had lateral quickness for his size w/ a plus wingspan.

I can see where you're coming from. If a forward with his dimensions isn't a fabulous shooter and passer (like say, Gallinari) or he isn't a long and athletic defender (like Bam), he can get stuck a bit in the middle like Trey Lyles has. I think Perry is a bit underrated though, and he may be worth the risk in the 2nd round. I think with Perry you might get enough offense and enough defense to make it work. That said, I see him as a backup 4 most likely, maybe like a Markieff Morris. That would be projecting that he shoots at least 35% from 3pt. His first projectable skill is rebounding. He may also be able to put the ball down and score in isolation.

Last edited:
Sold. Take a chance for the grand ****ing slam. Swing away. If we’re so great with development, draft him.

Also, as a side note, I think we’re way past the point of Euros being often soft or not panning out like I feel was the case 10-20 years ago. In fact, I’d guess they “pan out” more often than Americans. IDK.
Oh, he's definitely not a grand slam type pick. I think he's pretty firmly a role player, but possibly someone who could fill an Ingles type role on the team one day.

Oh, he's definitely not a grand slam type pick. I think he's pretty firmly a role player, but possibly someone who could fill an Ingles type role on the team one day.
He sounds a lot like Kaniel Dickens who was a Jazz 2nd round draft pick many years ago who was also a college center. He didn't make the Jazz roster and was a perennial GLeague all-star and 10 day contract player. He could jump out of the gym and make shots from the next county at the GLeague level but could not make it translate when he got to the show.