What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

Anyone else intrigued by Mason Jones as a mid-late second round guy? Might end up undrafted. Has an interesting story in that he didn't start playing basketball until his senior year of high school. Not very athletic, but very productive and skilled.
The foul drawing is bonkers. I doubt he gets drafted but I'd love to bring him into camp.

Locke has done two pods talking about Josh Green.. he really likes him... is he the guy that Locke forecasts and the Jazz get again?

Ringer updated their stuff just now too.

Maxey to the Jazz.

Woah. That would be quite a drop. For some reason I think of Maxey as being the Coby White of this draft, though it isn't a good comp. Maxey plays better defense and had a worse shooting year. I feel like he could have that kind of upside though.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'd be less than thrilled with Maxey, though it's all about fit (and maybe I shouldn't be thinking in those terms).

He just seems like a poor man's DM to me -- not quite the athlete, not quite the ball handler, probably not quite the vision, not quite the shooter, not quite as strong or long.

I'm fairly confident that he's likely to be a solid NBA rotation player (which is all we should hope for from a #23 pick), but I don't really see the point of Maxey with DM running the backcourt.

Pretty sure I'd be less than thrilled with Maxey, though it's all about fit (and maybe I shouldn't be thinking in those terms).

He just seems like a poor man's DM to me -- not quite the athlete, not quite the ball handler, probably not quite the vision, not quite the shooter, not quite as strong or long.

I'm fairly confident that he's likely to be a solid NBA rotation player (which is all we should hope for from a #23 pick), but I don't really see the point of Maxey with DM running the backcourt.
Plays defense unlike DM

Woah. That would be quite a drop. For some reason I think of Maxey as being the Coby White of this draft, though it isn't a good comp. Maxey plays better defense and had a worse shooting year. I feel like he could have that kind of upside though.
No, it's not a bad comp.

Maxey would be EXCELLENT value at 23, also he's some form of insurance on Clarkson whos a pending FA.... The conversation shouldn't be Maxey vs Mitchell.. In a best case scenario the defense can only focus on one of them, the other gets to lurk the weakside...

In those moments where Mitchell has drawn way too much attention and the play is broken and theres 5 or less seconds on the shotclock Maxey's value would be realized by those around here... He's creative and his first step is very quick.. tough kid too.

plus really when u look at Utahs depth chart, he makes a ton of sense. In the event he's on the board I dont think Utah would hesitate to take him.

They said they want to get athletes to surround Mitchell and Rudy with, Maxey qualifies.

Last edited:
I was hoping that RJ would be available but those dreams are long gone. I will be shocked if the Jazz do not get more length and athleticism in this pick. Maxey does not fit that description. I must confess I do not know anything about him but it would surprise me if the Jazz took him.

I'm going to have to disagree with much of what's been said about Maxey here (and I thought I liked him generally -- just less as a fit next to DM). I just don't see the median outcome for him (which to me looks like a fringe starter, solid backup) as being all that helpful to the Jazz, though it could be for other teams, because of significant overlap with the playing style/role of DM (not to mention JC, at least as long as he's here). If we don't re-sign JC, get a useful larger wing in his place, and plan to use Maxey as a third guard, I'd be down with that.

Yeah, but Maxey won't become a 25 ppg first option. He's going to be at least a good defender of guards
I agree . But if that's the standard, I like what Bolmaro and Josh Green are likely to provide at least equally well (especially given their greater size).

I agree . But if that's the standard, I like what Bolmaro and Josh Green are likely to provide at least equally well (especially given their greater size).

Maxey is a more versatile and instinctive scorer than those other two. That's where he has upside, imo.

Maxey is a more versatile and instinctive scorer than those other two. That's where he has upside, imo.
No doubt. But as long as we have DM I don't see him as anything more than a 3rd guard on our team. I just see too much duplication in style and size (without as much quality) to have him function as a starter alongside DM. I think we'd be best served with more size. But who knows? Maybe two 6'-1.5" guards (both of whom are score-first and not natural playmakers for others) can make it work together long term.

I question both their abilities to guard PGs like Murray, Curry, etc. That's what the Jazz need if Don can't handle those assignments