What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

I question both their abilities to guard PGs like Murray, Curry, etc. That's what the Jazz need if Don can't handle those assignments
Not a bad point. But if we're looking long term to have DM play at the point but he can't guard the point, then we have bigger problems.

Again, not saying that I'd have no hope for Maxey on the Jazz, just that I don't think he's the best choice (unless he is very clearly the BPA) for a team that hopes to be building around DM for the next 10 years.

Again, not saying that I'd have no hope for Maxey on the Jazz, just that I don't think he's the best choice (unless he is very clearly the BPA) for a team that hopes to be building around DM for the next 10 years.

What do you think of the Damian Lillard / CJ McCollum pairing ?

What do you think of the Damian Lillard / CJ McCollum pairing ?
Excellent, but flawed. But even they have less redundancy in their styles than I think DM and Maxey do. And no way do I expect Maxey to turn into a McCollum-quality scorer or even playmaker (and nobody ever doubted that Lillard was a PG). But this is the draft -- you never know what the outcome will be.

As I was thinking about Cy's responses, I also thought of the Lowry and VanVleet combo as a small guard combo that works. But if our argument is we need Maxey to protect DM from dynamic PGs, this comparison also breaks down a bit. Lowry and VanVleet can work together because they're both such great/tough defenders on any kinds of guards, plus both of them can legitimately play the point full-time and really shoot it. If Maxey turns into all of this, I'd be surprised.

Excellent, but flawed. But even they have less redundancy in their styles than I think DM and Maxey do. And no way do I expect Maxey to turn into a McCollum-quality scorer or even playmaker (and nobody ever doubted that Lillard was a PG). But this is the draft -- you never know what the outcome will be.

As I was thinking about Cy's responses, I also thought of the Lowry and VanVleet combo as a small guard combo that works. But if our argument is we need Maxey to protect DM from dynamic PGs, this comparison also breaks down a bit. Lowry and VanVleet can work together because they're both such great/tough defenders on any kinds of guards, plus both of them can legitimately play the point full-time and really shoot it. If Maxey turns into all of this, I'd be surprised.
I mean, we are talking about a guy at the 23rd pick. If he;s available, he is going to be the best player there. It would be a no-brainer unless you want to take a shot on a guy like Poku.

Tier I
  1. - Killian Hayes
  2. - Anthony Edwards
  3. - James Wiseman
  4. - LaMelo Ball
    1. - Tier II
  5. - Deni Avideji
  6. - Devin Vassell
  7. - Tyrese Maxey
  8. - Tyrese Haliburton
  9. - Onyeka Okongwu
  10. - Isaac Okoro
    1. - Tier III
  11. - Obi Toppin
  12. - Jalen Harris
  13. - Patrick Williams
  14. - Tyler Bey
  15. - Cole Anthony
  16. - Kira Lewis
  17. - RJ Hampton
  18. - Aaron Nesmith
  19. - Saddiq Bey
    1. - Tier IV
  20. - Robert Woodard
  21. - Desmond Bane
  22. - Jaden McDaniels
  23. - Poku
  24. - Josh Green
  25. - Xavier Tillman
  26. - Precious
    1. - Tier V
  27. - Leandro Bolmaro
  28. - Isaiah Stewart
  29. - Killian Tillie
  30. - Abdoulaye N'Doye
  31. - Tyrell Terry
  32. - Elijah Hughes
  33. - Jahmius Ramsey
  34. - Theo Maledon
  35. Jalen Smith
  36. - Isaiah Joe
  37. - Sam Merrill
  38. - Paul Reed
  39. - Devon Dotson
  40. - Malachi Flynn
  41. - Tre Jones
  42. - Cassius Winston
  43. - Grant Riller
  44. Tyshawn Alexander
    1. - Tier VI
  45. - Mason Jones
  46. - Cassius Stanley
  47. - Yam Madar
  48. - Zeke Nnaji
  49. - Naji Marshall
  50. - Immanuel Quickley
  51. - Nico Mannion
  52. - Nick Richards
  53. - Daniel Otaru
  54. - Skylar Mays
  55. - Payton Prichard
    1. Tier VII
  56. - Ashton Hagans
  57. - Reggie Perry
  58. - Jay Scrubb
  59. - Kenyon Martin Jr
  60. - Kahlil Whitney
  61. - Paul Eboa
  62. - Boriša Simanić
Here's my top 60 with tiers.

Last edited:
Tier I
  1. - Killian Hayes
  2. - Anthony Edwards
  3. - James Wiseman
  4. - LaMelo Ball
    1. - Tier II
  5. - Deni Avideji
  6. - Devin Vassell
  7. - Cole Anthony
  8. - Tyrese Haliburton
  9. - Onyeka Okongwu
  10. - Isaac Okoro
    1. - Tier III
  11. - Obi Toppin
  12. - Jalen Harris
  13. - Patrick Williams
  14. - Tyler Bey
  15. - Tyrese Maxey
  16. - Kira Lewis
  17. - RJ Hampton
  18. - Aaron Nesmith
  19. - Saddiq Bey
    1. - Tier IV
  20. - Robert Woodard
  21. - Desmond Bane
  22. - Jaden McDaniels
  23. - Poku
  24. - Josh Green
  25. - Xavier Tillman
  26. - Precious
    1. - Tier V
  27. - Leandro Bolmaro
  28. - Isaiah Stewart
  29. - Killian Tillie
  30. - Abdoulaye N'Doye
  31. - Tyrell Terry
  32. - Elijah Hughes
  33. - Jahmius Ramsey
  34. - Theo Maledon
  35. - Isaiah Joe
  36. - Sam Merrill
  37. - Paul Reed
  38. - Devon Dotson
  39. - Malachi Flynn
  40. - Tre Jones
  41. - Cassius Winston
  42. - Grant Riller
  43. Tyshawn Alexander
    1. - Tier VI
  44. - Mason Jones
  45. - Cassius Stanley
  46. - Yam Madar
  47. - Zeke Nnaji
  48. - Naji Marshall
  49. - Immanuel Quickley
  50. - Nico Mannion
  51. - Nick Richards
  52. - Daniel Otaru
  53. - Skylar Mays
  54. - Payton Prichard
    1. Tier VII
  55. - Ashton Hagans
  56. - Reggie Perry
  57. - Jay Scrubb
  58. - Kenyon Martin Jr
  59. - Kahlil Whitney
  60. - Paul Eboa
  61. - Boriša Simanić
Here's my top 60 with tiers.
Good list... I really like a lot of the guys around our range. I understand Poku and Jaden are solid upside projects but I would rather have someone else draft them. I think we have a good chance at landing a solid player at 23.

It's The Ringer's latest mock. It shows Hampton going #12 to the Kings, while Cole Anthony drops to #21 (Sixers) and Maxey drops to #23 (Jazz).
I was hoping that RJ would be available but those dreams are long gone. I will be shocked if the Jazz do not get more length and athleticism in this pick. Maxey does not fit that description. I must confess I do not know anything about him but it would surprise me if the Jazz took him.

TY and yeah that sounds about right. In my eyes one of the most easily debunked ideas thrown around in this years thread was that there's some chance RJ Hampton was gonna be on the board when Utah selects.

So who does Pheonix take??? Cole Anthony outside of the top20 seems crazy to me.

writing off Maxey for the TWENTY THIRD PICK would be quite foolish... He has a chance to hit the ground running and not get mauled on defense right away in year one and he's 19 years old........ I really would be interested to hear who y'all would pass on Maxey at 23 for...

What u do with a player like Tyrese Maxey is you run him down the baseline off the ball. He gets to his spot you pass it to him, he's now a triple threat. In those moments he's extremely slippery and good at getting you off balance then exploding in the other direction.

With the way Mitchell gets defended in the playoffs, and with a PF like Bogdanovic spacing the floor, and with Clarkson a pending free agent... he's a match

If the Jazz didn't win a meaningless game with the Spurs in the bubble, we could have been in range to draft Hampton, Maxey or Pokusevski.

What u do with a player like Tyrese Maxey is you run him down the baseline off the ball. He gets to his spot you pass it to him, he's now a triple threat. In those moments he's extremely slippery and good at getting you off balance then exploding in the other direction.

With the way Mitchell gets defended in the playoffs, and with a PF like Bogdanovic spacing the floor, and with Clarkson a pending free agent... he's a match

Maxey could have a high ceiling. He could be a gamer, but then...he could be an above average PG/SG and that's it.

According to nbadraft.net we’re passing on Kira Lewis, Poku, RJ Hampton and Tyler Bey amongst others to pick...Nico Mannion. I’m not liking it.
That's the guy I fear we take... would make my blood boil so we pretty much have a 100% chance of picking him.

I was being sarcastic also trying to make sure to put a hard reverse jinx on it.

The real "piss everyone off pick" would be Tre Jones. I can just see the Zanik/DL presser talking about Jazz DNA and the interview with Quin of no substance only talking about having yet another Dukie on the team