What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

Everyone here should be drinking the Carsen Edwards Kool-Aid....

He has a great first step guys... Will be nice fit next to Donovan and he is just a solid value on a 4-year deal in a backup capacity...

He's a match next to Dante and Grayson, doesnt step on anyones toes.

I always have said he is gonna be one of those guys like David Wesley, who's tough and makes big shots, but a new age player, high volume 3pointer.

Plus if they land a big fish for starting PG, the backcourt will be really much, what I like to call - sharper...

The Jazz have the potential to draft a starter at #23 if they don't screw it up.

Okpala is the perfect kinda dude where everyones BSing pretending like he's not that high on their boards, hoping he falls to them..

I checked in on him in HS and surely immediately posted it here, cuz he looked GREAT, and dropped like 40points everytime I saw him.

He is silent but deadly cold-blooded type, I think. He really can shoot it off the dribble too, which is sweet at his size and age...

He's like a lesser version of Brandon Ingram...

I just don't think he's that quick or explosive, and his first step isn't great. It holds him back, imo.

I just don't think he's that quick or explosive, and his first step isn't great. It holds him back, imo.

He was 5'10 as a Freshman in HS! Grew 10 inches in like 3 years. Now he's almost 6'10. He should really take well to NBA strength and conditioning and full time training, I wouldnt be concerned about that. If he was crazy explosive he'd be WAYYYY out of range...

I would also take Jaxon Hayes 5th if I was Chicago. They have the core in place and depth the quality of Hayes is scaaaaaaarce...

This is my review and interpretation of what ESPN currently thinks will happen...

1 NOL - Zion
2 MEM - Ja
3 NYK - RJ
4 LAL - Garland
5 CLE - Hunter
6 PHX - Culver (though I really think they'd take a PG like White)
7 CHI - White
8 ATL - Cam
9 WAS - Sekou
10 ATL - Hayes
11 MIN - Clarke
12 CHA - PJ
13 MIA - Bol Bol
14 BOS - Porter Jr.
15 DET - Langford
16 ORL - Herro
17 BRK - Nas
18 IND - Rui
19 SAS - Cameron
20 BOS - Nickeil
21 OKC - Talen (though reportedly they've promised Matisse)
22 BOS - Keldon (though I really think Boston takes a big with one of their picks--Goga, Bruno, Gafford or Kab)
23 UTA - Williams (I don't think the Jazz will go this direction, honestly. I think a conservative projection would be that they take Okpala, Nwora or Windler, though I'd hope they aim for more.)

Nickeil at 20 (so close) would hurt me. I really like the kid.

You're CRAZY..... He's a perfect match... The Jazz need some pep in its step, and he is just that.. He's probably steal the starting PF spot before the playoffs.

Clarke would be a MASSIVE pull for Utah.... HE is OBVIOUSLY THE TRADE UP TARGET if there is one...

I've been waiting for those measurements, it all acutally fell right in line with what my eye test told me thruoughout the szn.

The key with Clarke is ya gotta remember he doesnt just jump 40+ inches, but he reaches that height quicker than most. he's a monster in space, perfect match next to rudy... Would help the team hit another gear, and he's very dangerous in transition from day1...

you can't convince me he wouldnt do well as the starter in year 1...

He cannot shoot. We wouldn't have any more success with him at the 4 as opposed to Favors. Spacing would still be an issue. It would be a lateral move at best.

Luguentz Dort intrigues me. He's a good athlete and he's very well built. He gives effort on defense. He shows loads of potential as a shot creator. He just makes poor decisions on both ends of the floor often. If his mental game ever caught up with the athleticism and natural skills he could be a hidden gem in this class.

Luguentz Dort intrigues me. He's a good athlete and he's very well built. He gives effort on defense. He shows loads of potential as a shot creator. He just makes poor decisions on both ends of the floor often. If his mental game ever caught up with the athleticism and natural skills he could be a hidden gem in this class.

He can't shoot. Think Kris Dunn. He defends though. I like Horton-Tucker more than Dort.

Chuma Okeke would have been a good pick at #23 if he didn't get injured. I'm not sure it's worth waiting a couple seasons for him to recover. Now he'll probably go in the early 2nd round to a team who can be patient with him.

He cannot shoot. We wouldn't have any more success with him at the 4 as opposed to Favors. Spacing would still be an issue. It would be a lateral move at best.

I watched Gonzaga a ton and it seemed to me like he made most every shot he took, or got fouled...

Spacing would be an issue? Brandon CLarke is a monster in space, dont u understand? on both sides of the ball..

Utah im sure is smitten with Clarke. Didn't he crap on Baylor in the tourney? surely D Lindz was watching that.

U have 15 roster spots thats 3 for each position, idk why you'd look at the #23 pick, who's an ultra athletic 2-way player, and pigeon hole him and say "he can't shoot" ----- there's 2 other PF spots on the depth chart right? get shooters, it's not some huge expense to buy shooters......

You arent drafting anyone at 23 with how they fit with the starters.

You are drafting for talent and who you think can be a NBA player. In the 20's most guys will be out of the NBA in 4 years.

Reactions: SCS
I'm not sure who it'll be obviously, but I'm really confident there's some players that will be drafted in the 20s in this draft that will be outstanding NBA players. The draft seems pretty deep and the talent level from picks #4-#30 or so really don't seem to be too much of a decline.

Dennis, please just don't draft a Tony Bradley or Grayson Allen.

You arent drafting anyone at 23 with how they fit with the starters.

You are drafting for talent and who you think can be a NBA player. In the 20's most guys will be out of the NBA in 4 years.

I do agree with that.

I don't know why we're even talking about Clarke though. He won't be there at 23. He killed the athletic testing at the combine. That plus his college production guarantees he won't drop. Mid teens is his floor. I don't see the Jazz trading up either.

He can't shoot. Think Kris Dunn. He defends though. I like Horton-Tucker more than Dort.

His outside shot isn't great but I think he can work on it and possibly become adequate. The thing I like is his shot creation. He creates a lot of space with his crossovers and spin moves on tape. Although he often creates the space and doesn't quite know how to use it properly. He can also drive. And he's a dog. Dude plays hard on both ends.

I feel like if he has a good head on his shoulders and is coachable he's the type of guy who could really be coached up into a good player

The FG% concerns I get, he really isn't much of a finisher, and a short guy like him can struggle to find space in the midrange, but he can really shoot it from deep. The AST numbers aren't something I worry too much about, the Purdue offense was very strong with him at the helm. He'll never be a pass first guard, but that's probably not what we should be looking for anyways.

don't need a pass first PG, but someone who can also create a bit more than that would be nice. having that much usage and that few of assists is concerning to me. and i just don't trust his efficiency. a guard who can't shoot over 40% but averages that many points? that screams high usage gunner who can't shoot in midrange or finish at the rim. and he won't have near the same usage at the nba level. i think he's just as likely to shoot a team out of a game as he is to shoot them in. can he still be semi-effective w/o getting a ton of shots up? will he be able to defend his position? he's maybe late first round but i wouldn't dare take him at 23. they should clearly be looking to trade the pick.

I do agree with that.

I don't know why we're even talking about Clarke though. He won't be there at 23. He killed the athletic testing at the combine. That plus his college production guarantees he won't drop. Mid teens is his floor. I don't see the Jazz trading up either.
He can easily fall. He has no NBA offensive game currently and is old. He will be high in some teams boards, but not even a first on others

I'd be okay taking Samanic at #23. There are a few guys I like more, but Samanic seems to have a pretty complete game, and if he can create with the ball at the top of the circle, he could be a bit special. He's probably mobile enough to play at the 4 full time, and he could be good enough to be a starter in the league within a year or two. He looks pretty solid overall.

I'm all aboard the Carsen Edwards train. The guy seems to fit where the NBA is heading. He can shoot the deep 3 off the dribble, he's aggressive, and he can score the ball.

Physically, he tested better than I though he would. He's just over 6 feet tall but he has a 6'6" wingspan. He's almost 200 pounds which is 30 pounds more than Harper and Guy, 20 more than Bone, etc. but he has similar body fat% to all of them (5.5%). https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=-1

I think he could end up being the steal of the draft.

Would be A LOT of fun next to Mitchell, or just coming in and leading the second unit. Since hes not a pure PG Id toy with the idea of having him and Mitchell run the show together. Two Alpha Dog shooters who can throw it down from our guards would be exciting to watch. At least we'd be entertaining AF!

Jazz are apparently planning to have the following guys in for work outs soon: Carsen Edwards, Luguentz Dort, Dylan Windler and Ignas Brazdeikis.

Rick Byrd has seen numerous good players and good athletes come through his programs during a 38-year career that has resulted in an 804-401 record and almost certain entry into basketball’s various halls of fame. While some could make an argument that Byrd -- who has spent the last 33 seasons at Belmont -- has coached better players than Dylan Windler, it’s doubtful he’s ever had a better athlete.

Byrd, who with Windler’s help just guided Belmont to the school’s first NCAA Tournament at-large bid and first victory in the tournament, has always marveled at Windler’s athleticism. Like a multi-instrumentalist who can play anything he picks up, Windler excels at sports, whether they’re played with a racket, club, bat or just a ball.

“He’s a great athlete, but also, he just understands how to win,” Byrd says. “He’s our team’s best ping pong player. In softball, he covers the entire outfield and makes plays, and hits it a mile. He was a serious junior golfer and didn’t play AAU basketball until his senior year of high school. He’s also good at soccer and tennis. You could invent a game of some sort -- combining whatever two sports you wanted to -- explain the rules, and Dylan would be the best player at it.”

That athletic ability, plus a 6-foot-8 frame and a 6-11 wingspan, just might propel Windler into the NBA Draft. He’s consistently showed up in the mock drafts, and his stock rose last week after he blasted Maryland of the rugged Big Ten with 35 points, 21 of them coming from 3-pointers, and 11 rebounds in a first-round NCAA loss.

Getting emotional retweeting this because we didn’t want it to end #itsbruintime#MarchMadnesshttps://t.co/9T1U4tsJbg

— Belmont Basketball (@BelmontMBB) March 21, 2019
The Bruins, dispatched to the tournament’s First Four in Dayton, had earned that matchup with the Terps by beating Temple. Windler, obviously drawing extra defensive attention, scored just five points in that game, but he still got his typical allotment of boards (14; he averaged 10.8 this season), along with two assists and three steals. The Owls’ deep concern of Windler going off on them allowed Belmont’s Kevin McClain that honor -- he scored 29 points in the upset victory.

It was a testament to Windler that whenever Belmont played a power conference team -- they lost to Purdue and won at UCLA this season -- Windler always drew double coverage, and though his points were limited, he understood there were other things he could do to help his team. He scored seven points against the Boilermakers, who have advanced to the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight, but contributed 11 boards, three assists and two steals. At UCLA Windler scored just 12 points, nine below his season average, but racked up 15 boards.

“To his credit, Dylan didn’t try to make it happen when it wasn’t there,” Byrd says. “It gave teammates more opportunities, because nobody’s helping off of him.”

Byrd admits he doesn’t spend nearly as much time watching the NBA as some of his college counterparts. Other than Ian Clark, he hasn’t coached a player who’s advanced to that level. So Byrd defers judgement whether Windler can play in the NBA.

“I don’t know enough about that world,” Byrd says. “I watch the NBA some. But I’ll tell you this -- he’s worked out a lot with Ian Clark [who’s played for Utah, Denver, Golden State and New Orleans in an eight-year NBA career], and Ian definitely thinks Dylan can play in the NBA. Ian’s got a reference point I don’t have.”

Windler has an interesting story. He was so good at so many sports that his best one was overlooked by college coaches. That was with good reason. Until the summer before his senior season at Perry Meridian High School in Indianapolis, Windler thought golf would be his game. During the summers -- valuable time for high school basketball players to improve and showcase their skills on the AAU circuit -- Windler played in junior golf tournaments.

In the summer of 2014, Windler, who was trying to decide whether to focus on golf or basketball, got an offer to join the Indiana Elite AAU team, which also included Purdue’s Ryan Cline and Virginia’s Kyle Guy, both of whom are playing for NCAA Tournament Elite Eight teams. Indiana Elite was so loaded Windler was no better than the seventh scoring option. But during one tournament in his hometown, a couple of the team’s stars were off participating in an adidas camp, and Windler was elevated to the starting lineup.

Suffice it to say he was able to showcase his skills. He left that tournament with 15 Division I scholarship offers. Tennessee Tech was the first to extend an invitation.

“Once I got a college offer set in stone, I decided basketball was the way to go,” Windler says. “So I went all in on basketball. I trained all the time and was always in the gym getting shots up. And I ended up having a good senior season in high school.”

By that time, Byrd, who likes to recruit basketball-mad states, which he mines for winners, shooters and players who understand how to play the game, had already locked up Windler, who committed in July 2014. Though he could have waited on an offer from Indiana or Purdue in the spring of 2015, he went with the sure thing.

Windler has never doubted his decision. In his time at Belmont, the Bruins were 94-34 despite having to play demanding non-conference schedules, finished first in the Ohio Valley Conference three times and second once, played in two NITs and then ended his career with a memorable NCAA Tournament trip.

“I’ve learned so much about the game in general from coach Byrd,” Windler says. “Offensively, he’s boosted my game and given me the confidence to play the way I have. I have freedom, the green light to shoot. I’ve learned about games and situations, and to value possessions.”

Windler has yet to sign with an agent, but he’s certain to be working out with another former Belmont star, Drew Hanlen, who has become an in-demand shot doctor and workout guru for aspiring NBA players. Windler has a list of skills he wants to polish before, he hopes, he’s extended a visit to the NBA’s Chicago Draft Combine.

“I want to be more of a playmaker,” hey says. “I want to be able to finish over length. Adding to my vertical leap can always help. I’ll be working on gaining more weight and muscle. There’s always room for growth in that regard.”

In a certain system, on a certain team, Windler could become a valuable piece, with his 3-point shooting range, ability to get to the rim, aggressive rebounding and defensive ability.

Windler, who’s not the least bit cocky, sees a future in the league.

“I think I can really be a good 3 and D guy,” Windler says. “A guy that can knock down shots and defend multiple positions.”

Reactions: SCS