What's new

Following Potential Draftees - 2019 (not kidding)

I think after how older college studs still found another gear in the NBA (Mitchell, Lillard, McCollum, Thomas,...) teams may start to look at age as a predictor of performance and growth in a different way.

I think after how older college studs still found another gear in the NBA (Mitchell, Lillard, McCollum, Thomas,...) teams may start to look at age as a predictor of performance and growth in a different way.

Those Numbers I think would indicate that the 18 year olds who entered the NBA back before the rule change performed better and had higher trajectories/upside, than ur average 20 or 21 year old 2-3 college player tho... Darryl Dawkins, KG, Kobe, Jermaine O'Neal, T-MAc, Amare, LeBron, Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum those outliers weighed next to the next to the guys who came out and didn't succeed, compared to the #'s we see these days... and i mean if you weigh it on 'star-power' it's even more of a landslide..

Reports are today that the players union and the N BA have re-ignited talks and are targeting the 2022 draft to rrmove the 1-and-done rule nad bring the age restriction down from 19 to 18 again. So it's certainly somethign we'll see play out in the 2020's. Should be fun. That rule would line up just in time for the kid they call "the next kd" Emoni Bates, to go #1 in 2022 too.. Which is just how the NBA would like to start the change off with, some monster phenom...

FWIW - 1 year removed from HS Anfernee Simons dropped an efficient 37pts last night.

He'll probably go top 10. Tye Jerome may have played himself into the first round too.
Kyle Guy will go back for his senior year. I see him as a Nigel Williams Goss type player where he could get drafted late in 2020, but making a team looks like an uphill battle. (Williams Goss is playing pretty well in Europe btw) Maybe he'll get better. I like his leadership, ability to hit FTs when most kids would pucker up, and wanting the ball when the game is on the line.

Kyle Guy is better than you're giving him credit for!!! No way he's a bottom of the 2nd rd guy after what just took place.

Ya know I think he's got a chance to have a sort of career like Jeff Hornacek.. Call me crazy.. He's a gamer tho for sure, 11/10 on the intangibles. He reminds me slightly of Jerryd Bayless too..

PPL are staunch and refuse to give give him credit for his off-the-ball movement, but he's clearly one of the best in all of college.... Everyone, EVERYONE, (total embarassment btw) and ESPN the ringleader was talking about the foul in the corner, clearly a foul.... calling it controversial, that is controversial maybe to someone who is unfamiliar with the rules, but that **** was clear as day..

Not a soul did i hear on the airwaves giving credit to Guy for beating Doughty off the ball to the spot... He beat him by a step and a half, and Doughty knew it, he had the fear of "oh **** im gonna let up the game winner and it's gonna be wide-open" in him when he made that foul... the play was created by guy tho, not the officials.. All these dudes making all this $$$ to run their mouth infront of cameras and no one is actually gonna bring that up, It's crazy to me..

Last edited:
Kyle Guy is better than you're giving him credit for!!! No way he's a bottom of the 2nd rd guy after what just took place.

Ya know I think he's got a chance to have a sort of career like Jeff Hornacek.. Call me crazy.. He's a gamer tho for sure, 11/10 on the intangibles. He reminds me slightly of Jerryd Bayless too..

PPL are staunch and refuse to give give him credit for his off-the-ball movement, but he's clearly one of the best in all of college.... Everyone, EVERYONE, (total embarassment btw) and ESPN the ringleader was talking about the foul in the corner, clearly a foul.... calling it controversial, that is controversial maybe to someone who is unfamiliar with the rules, but that **** was clear as day..

Not a soul did i hear on the airwaves giving credit to Guy for beating Doughty off the ball to the spot... He beat him by a step and a half, and Doughty knew it, he had the fear of "oh **** im gonna let up the game winner and it's gonna be wide-open" in him when he made that foul... the play was created by guy tho, not the officials.. All these dudes making all this $$$ to run their mouth infront of cameras and no one is actually gonna bring that up, It's crazy to me..

I mean, it's possible he moves up, but it's not like I said anything that took credit away from him. I thought the Williams Goss comparison is pretty fitting.

Do you think he's 1st round material?

I read an article earlier this season that somewhat verifies what you suggest. It was a moderate approach saying age is still an evaluation factor but not weighed as heavily as in the past. It probably depends on the GM and how it has or hasn't worked for him in the past.

I don't love that the three picks infront of the jazz will be Boston, OKC, Boston.

Hopefully Boston makes that trade for Davis so it is Pelicans picking instead.

I read an article earlier this season that somewhat verifies what you suggest. It was a moderate approach saying age is still an evaluation factor but not weighed as heavily as in the past. It probably depends on the GM and how it has or hasn't worked for him in the past.

Age will never be a truly determining factor, for obvious reasons, in other sports im sure it'd be more of a factor, but basketball is different, if u can play -- u can play.... There's so many factors involved, it will always be a case-by-case basis..

As the international basketball community continues to grow, we will continue to see stories like Buddy Hield's 2 birthdays this december..

If age is important, then what does it mean that Hield could dupe the system this late in the game??

We know where Lindsey stands on this, he has said the older the players the higher the risk!

I went to bat for the youngins in last years draftee's thread, they were 'my highest players over consensus' --- Mitchell Robinson and Anfernee Simons. Those picks are golden, they will pay off in spades for Portland and NY...

Meanwhile George King, who's 25 years old and was drafted in 2018 by the Suns contributed nothing to their squad..

If u still have that article, please share.
In practice, all it needs is one team to take the "risk" on the older player, but the complexity of the whole issue is so large...
If age isn't a reliable predictor on future performance and upside, what does that mean about how much student athletes improve in the NCAA and how much they improve in NBA environments? Are there specific schools that actually excel at preparing future NBA players, while others dont? Are there personality traits that are measurable that predict whether someone has the necessary level of maturity and work ethic to prosper in the NBA and which personalities can benefit from the college environment in turn? I could continue this for a while.

Dumb as an absolute.

Smart as a right case scenario.

In other words, it depends, or no?

Usually, if a player has the talent to have a real impact in the NBA they show it by their freshman or sophomore year. Then it's a question of whether they have the competitive drive and work ethic to reach their potential.

Usually, if a player has the talent to have a real impact in the NBA they show it by their freshman or sophomore year. Then it's a question of whether they have the competitive drive and work ethic to reach their potential.
Usually is the key word.

Some kids progress later. Some kids hit their ceiling faster than others. Some go under the radar.

I'll I'm saying is it depends.

If u still have that article, please share.
In practice, all it needs is one team to take the "risk" on the older player, but the complexity of the whole issue is so large...
If age isn't a reliable predictor on future performance and upside, what does that mean about how much student athletes improve in the NCAA and how much they improve in NBA environments? Are there specific schools that actually excel at preparing future NBA players, while others dont? Are there personality traits that are measurable that predict whether someone has the necessary level of maturity and work ethic to prosper in the NBA and which personalities can benefit from the college environment in turn? I could continue this for a while.

It's basic bruh...
“The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.”

Fundamentals of Chess 1883

There is no contest, a professional setting dwarfs what these kids get in college, for a teenager thats truly 'NBA material'.