What's new

Frankie Smokes. Who says No?

What? Snyder likes him? Is that why he started cutting his minutes for Trent Forrest and Matt Thomas towards the end of the season?

I'm not sure Snyder likes him at all. I think Oni was just the default due to his theoretical skill-set and the fact that the other options were too flawed.

I think Forrest is the guy who has the most "Quin Favorite" potential as he plays the game with high IQ, effort, and confidence. Once he got scouted he just became too flawed to put on the court as teams were giving him 10 feet of space from the corner.

And honestly, if Forrest learns to shoot at all he's way way way ahead of Oni or Frank.
Yes, Snyder likes him. And no, Snyder didn't start cutting his minutes towards the end of the season. His highest average minutes played were in April and May. He played more as the season went on.

I'm all for signing Ntlikina, but I just don't want to overhype him at all. If we signed him I would expect him to probably continue to be the player he is, but it's worth a shot at the minimum. You can probably keep both Oni and Frank and let them compete tbh. It doesnt have to be one or the other.
This.

Yes, Snyder likes him. And no, Snyder didn't start cutting his minutes towards the end of the season. His highest average minutes played were in April and May. He played more as the season went on.
Injuries to Mike and Don forced his hand.

Oni's NBA skill is that Quinn Snyder likes him. If you're one of the lucky ones, that's all it takes to make it.
Lol. It was literally reported during DL’s exit that Quin hated all of the end-of-bench scrubs that DL gave him and he thought none of these guys were actual NBA players. So not sure “likes” is the right word to use here, but “hates less”

Maybe I'm misremembering because it is difficult to sparse through garbage time minutes vs actual rotation minutes, but there was a period of time when he was out of the regular rotation in favor of Forrest/Thomas. He still got minutes because the Jazz were a ****ing insane team and blowing teams out in the 2nd half when the schedule got super easy.

Injuries to Mike and Don forced his hand.
whatever the reasons may have been, his minutes were, in fact, not cut toward the end of the season. his season high in minutes at that point in the season were in April - in that month he shot 32% FGs and 24% 3pt. how did Quinn respond to that - by playing him even more minutes in May. i don't think it's difficult to make an argument that Quinn likes him based on the fact he continued to get consistent minutes despite continued garbage play.

Bring him in. I think he's been in the wrong enviroment during his whole carreer.
It's easier to make an valuable asset out of him than it would be with Oni, just because he is known and was a high draft pick once.
if Mitchell likes it, even better.

I'd be actively looking for Oni upgrade right now regardless of Frankie’s status. Besides him, there are like 10 other qualifying candidates ready to be signed.

whatever the reasons may have been, his minutes were, in fact, not cut toward the end of the season. his season high in minutes at that point in the season were in April - in that month he shot 32% FGs and 24% 3pt. how did Quinn respond to that - by playing him even more minutes in May. i don't think it's difficult to make an argument that Quinn likes him based on the fact he continued to get consistent minutes despite continued garbage play.
A good portion of the games in May/April were blowouts. Context is very important for these minutes to actually say if his minutes were extended/cut. I can't see any good argument for Oni being a favorite of Quin's.

Ever think that a player doesn’t get time because he actually just stinks? Better yet, ever think that a coach likes one player over another because he’s actually better?

You guys are crazy with this favoritism stuff lol.

I’m not arguing directly with either your or Cy. But your evidence, as previously stated, wasn’t convincing.

I think there’s probably a spot for Oni on a 15-man roster. But I can’t see why that would preclude picking up a guy like Frank on the minimum.

A good portion of the games in May/April were blowouts. Context is very important for these minutes to actually say if his minutes were extended/cut. I can't see any good argument for Oni being a favorite of Quin's.
fair enough. i guess just the fact that he played as much as he did and never seemed to deserve it, in my own mind made me think Quin was a fan. but who the hell knows.