What's new

Free Alec Burks

But imo opinion and many others burks is better for a winning culture the last two years than watson, tinsley, howard, raja, cj miles, jefferson, and maybe even foye.

So in our opinions playing burks give the jazz that winning culture that you speak of

That's what makes you a Burks homer. There's no way in hell Burks was the better option two seasons ago. I could entertain a progressing argument (meaning that it would have become more true as Burks grew throughout the season) for last year. However, Foye's shooting was a perfect fit for Alfense, which Corbin correctly chose as the best potential for that broken squad to win games.

Burks is a more talented player, imo. Time will tell if he is better for a winning culture.

That's what makes you a Burks homer. There's no way in hell Burks was the better option two seasons ago. I could entertain a progressing argument (meaning that it would have become more true as Burks grew throughout the season) for last year. However, Foye's shooting was a perfect fit for Alfense, which Corbin correctly chose as the best potential for that broken squad to win games.

And foyes rebounding, playmaking, and defense?
Also what about cj miles? Raja bell? Josh howard? Earl watson?
I'm willing to concede foye over burks to a certain extent, though what did that really get us? Missing the playoffs and a #14 pick? Doesnt sound like a successful situation or winning culture.

Well we can only think that Foye was the best option Cuz Burks wasn't given that luxury!!!

I'm willing to concede foye over burks to a certain extent, though what did that really get us? Missing the playoffs and a #14 pick? Doesnt sound like a successful situation or winning culture.

We will never know if playing burks ahead of those other guys would have worked out for the best or not.... but using hindsight we can in fact see what playing those guys over burks did or did not accomplish.
Did we have successful post seasons? No.
Did we get great value from trades? Not from cj, raja, howard, watson, or carroll.
I think we may gave got something, but I can't remember what, out of foye.... but nothing too significant I don't think.
Did we get a great draft pick? 2 years ago we didn't even get one and last year we got the worst lotto pick possible.
Did burks get minutes to develop on the court in games and gain confidence? I don't think so.
Do we know what we have with burks due to all the time we have seen him on the court the last few years? No

To me it was very unsuccessful to keep burks glued to the bench so often in favor of washed up vets that have no value or future with this franchise.... but that is just my opinion.... maybe doing that us how you believe a winning culture is created

Q1. Foye had an ORtg 10 points higher than Burks and a DRtg only 2 points lower, which is why Corbin stuck with Foye.

Q2. All those players deserved minutes over rookie Burks.

Q3. Your complaint is about the situation. Are you arguing that the Jazz should have purposefully thrown games last season to build for the future? I don't really care much from an ethical standpoint if that's what an organization decides to do, but it doesn't seem to be the line fans ever push.

We will never know if playing burks ahead of those other guys would have worked out for the best or not.... but using hindsight we can in fact see what playing those guys over burks did or did not accomplish.
Did we have successful post seasons? No.
Did we get great value from trades? Not from cj, raja, howard, watson, or carroll.
I think we may gave got something, but I can't remember what, out of foye.... but nothing too significant I don't think.
Did we get a great draft pick? 2 years ago we didn't even get one and last year we got the worst lotto pick possible.
Did burks get minutes to develop on the court in games and gain confidence? I don't think so.
Do we know what we have with burks due to all the time we have seen him on the court the last few years? No

To me it was very unsuccessful to keep burks glued to the bench so often in favor of washed up vets that have no value or future with this franchise.... but that is just my opinion.... maybe doing that us how you believe a winning culture is created

So what's the solution besides trading out of competition or losing on purpose?

So what's the solution besides trading out of competition or losing on purpose?

Giving burks a chance to see what he can do after being a high draft pick, getting the mvp in summer league and then outplaying foye (and most of the jazz) in pre-season.

Foye arrives and is just given the starting job and major minutes without ever earning them.
Burks does everything imaginable in the offseason and gets dnps.
I don't think that is fair or right and if burks was given the starting job last year (after doing everything he could in the offseason to earn it) then MAYBE we make the playoffs last year due to his better all around game + development throughout the year.

We will never know... but like I said, we DO know that last year was a big fail

So you're avoiding the ORtg/DRtg differentials I posted?

Burks got more minutes last season as he got better. 16 mpg pre-All Star and 20 post (when Mo was back too). 20 mpg is significant playing time and enough to not hinder whatever development comes from games vs. practice and scrimmage (where he had ample opportunity to prove himself to the coaching staff).

So frank do you at least think it a little ****ed up that cj miles, raja bell, josh howard, demarre carroll, marvin williams, gordon hayward, randy foye, and richard jefferson all have multiple starts and alec burks has ZERO?

that list of names is prettt ****ty for the most part.
Its not like big al and paul millsap (two borderline all stars) were starting over him.

It seems like corbin would have game him at least ONE opportunity to start

So frank do you at least think it a little ****ed up that cj miles, raja bell, josh howard, demarre carroll, marvin williams, gordon hayward, randy foye, and richard jefferson all have multiple starts and alec burks has ZERO?

that list of names is prettt ****ty for the most part.
Its not like big al and paul millsap (two borderline all stars) were starting over him.

It seems like corbin would have game him at least ONE opportunity to start

Yes.

I once said how Corbin seemed to have gone with the rookies heavy when he took over for Sloan and it blew up in his face so he rabbit holed himself into "earn it" mode. That's a great philosophy to build on, but it's detrimental when if it becomes ideology.

There was a point last year when I said Burks earned playing backup pg over Tinsley and Watson.