What's new

Game Thread: Jazz at Raptors, any minute now

The offensive rating was 115, a mark that would surpass the best ranked offense in the NBA.

So the answer is: Kawhi Leonard was an animal.

Well sure but it's not just that, and it's not just a matter of comparing the league average in offensive rating, because every game is different.

Kawhi went berserk absolutely. But a combined shooting of 32% from our starting guards is also a sub-plot of how you lose a game with only 4 turnovers.

The Jazz really, really need a guard who can create and shoot off the dribble. Normally that's Mitchell, but he's literally our only guy who can take a few dribbles and shoot the ball. Well, except for Korver on the perimeter.

And to be fair to Exum: 2 or 3 of his misses did lead directly to layups off offensive rebounds
The classic DRose assist, he's the only guard capable of that right now unfortunately. Shame that didn't really happen in the 2nd half when he missed a bunch but he really should have finished a couple of those.

Well sure but it's not just that, and it's not just a matter of comparing the league average in offensive rating, because every game is different.

Kawhi went berserk absolutely. But a combined shooting of 32% from our starting guards is also a sub-plot of how you lose a game with only 4 turnovers.
Sure, but a lot of those misses resulted in offensive rebounds for points.

My point is: It would be pretty damn hard for the offensive to perform better than it did. The guards missing shots wasnt a big deal in totality.

The Raptors are a good defensive team. They have a lot of length and can shut down the paint for the most part. The way to beat a team like that is to drill jumpers, which the Jazz weren't able to do, obviously.

The classic DRose assist, he's the only guard capable of that right now unfortunately. Shame that didn't really happen in the 2nd half when he missed a bunch but he really should have finished a couple of those.
Only guard capable of that? Rubio and Mitchell both had shots like this as well.

He was also playing with our starters so this is really a mute point.
Rubio took a ton of BAD shots in that his shot was clanking so hard that it resulted in an easy fast break the other way. And he just keeps taking them, the more he misses the more he takes. His search dribble didn’t produce. The def dares him to shoot when he’s this bad and that clogged everything for the rest of the team.
It seems like I have it in for Rubio (and maybe I do) but his dr jeckle and mr Hyde crap has got to stop. It would be ok if it was a bad game in ten but this season it’s a good game in ten. Not going to fly for a team trying to contend.

It's a mute point? Cuz one team's starters had Kawhi and the other didnt, so Id say playing with units that had less Kawhi in them would be the easier lineups to do well in.

Jesus christ dude get off it. It's obvious Donovan has a much higher likelihood of becoming a better player than Rubio does. Thus people are more likely to cut him some slack. That's the only point I was making. Yes I agree Ricky can play better for stretches than he has lately, but there's a definite ceiling to what you can expect from him. There just isn't another level to his game that we haven't seen.
I'm not making this a thing about Mitchell. It's about calling Rubio a finished product when he just had a career year and completely changed his game for the first time in his career.

I'm not making this a thing about Mitchell. It's about calling Rubio a finished product when he just had a career year and completely changed his game for the first time in his career.
OK good to know you aren't really engaging in the original point I was making then. Just arguing to argue in true Cy fashion. Have a good one man.

Dante has a special ability to get to the ring. He did get fouled a few times should of got to the line. But I agree he has to finish a couple more. Look he has a chance to be really good. He's the only one in the jazz that can get to the hoop at will.

Sure, but a lot of those misses resulted in offensive rebounds for points.

My point is: It would be pretty damn hard for the offensive to perform better than it did. The guards missing shots wasnt a big deal in totality.

I agree with you for the most part, even some of Dante's misses turned into those second chance points.

In such a close game, that probably shouldn't have been that close, which is a credit to the Jazz, every inch and point counts so the biggest issue is absolutely Kawhi going berserk. 16 of 22, sheesh. The starting guards' efficiency was a factor though too, it has to be, in a game where both teams were over the average offensive rating.

OK good to know you aren't really engaging in the original point I was making then. Just arguing to argue in true Cy fashion. Have a good one man.
Just don't call a guy a finished product after he had a career year and drastically changed his play-style.

Only guard capable of that? Rubio and Mitchell both had shots like this as well.
Rubio clangs more Js than layups when he plays and Mitchell often slows down when going to the rim so it's not like help defenders are having to leave their spot all that often when he puts up a shot.

I guess capable is the wrong word but Rubio and Mitchell aren't anywhere the consistent threat to draw help defense out of position on layup attempts like Exum does, which is the DRose assist since the shot leaves Favs/Gobert open because their man has left to help on Exum.

It's a mute point? Cuz one team's starters had Kawhi and the other didnt, so Id say playing with units that had less Kawhi in them would be the easier lineups to do well in.
Dude I appreciate you trying to look at this as a glass half full. I am with you on Exum maybe having played against lesser comp for a portion of his min. But Rubio has got to flip the ship around and figure out how to contribute when his shot isn’t falling. The dude just keeps taking bad shots. Like when he dribbled into a long three early in the shot clock mid way thru the 4th. He had no business shooting that shot. That’s one of many times when he just stabbed momentum in the heart.

That career year was 41% from the field and 35% from 3, 47% efg. 5.3 assists.

I mean those arent horrible numbers (the shooting percentages are similar to horrible AB’s career averages) but for a career best year i wouldnt brag about them.

If thats the case then maybe rubio should play against bench players so he can have a better chance at getting back to those career year averages of 41% from the field and 35% from 3.