What's new

Game Thread: Jazz Vs Hogwarts. 4 PM MST

Not that upset, since I thought the Jazz had no chance in hell in this game, but it bugs the hell out of me when the Jazz could win/tie a game just by hitting their FTs.

The main problem with Gobert's offense is his hands. If he could keep the ball in his hands there'd be much more opportunities for the team to use him in O. The problem is, right now you can't really trust him on the low block, simply because in half of the possessions the opponent will poke the ball away. You can't trust him in traffic, because in half of the possessions he either won't be able to catch it or it will get poked away. He needs space in order to be effective in offense, or he needs it up high where nobody can disturb him in catching the ball and finishing it. And it's a shame because whenever he's had some space, he's shown pretty good passing and ability to see the open man.

I have no idea if there are any exercises to strengthen his hands and his ball control... that'd be my first priority with him.

They should make him handle the ball for an hour a day with somebody slapping at it or at his hands... or something like that(I have no idea what appropriate exercise for that particular facet of the game is) :D

Gobert is learning. He is an albatros, a massive 5 whose entire pro career so far has been about defense, clogging the lane and finishing at the rim alley oops, dump passes and putbacks. It takes time to learn how to use the ball. Remember that a 22 year old guard or SF has been playing about 10 years of bball with the ball in his hand, about 4 at a fairly high level. a 22 year old 7'2 center is just not used to having the ball in his hand when he hasn't been a first option ever. This is a difference between a Gobert and his american age equivalent having played in college. A college player would have touche the ball a lot more than he did in the pros.

My overall point is that his struggles are understandable : So far the Jazz had ask him to do what he can and stay in his comfort zone, and this year he has been pretty much maximising that comfort zone efficiency : defense, blocks, alley oops and putbacks. If the Jazz team was made up like the Warriors or the Mavs, with great offensive players 1 to 4, he could stay within this comfort zone more. But the Jazz are goingt to need more from him quite quickly and he will have to learn.

To me in this sense the game was rather positive. He didn't collapse, it wasn't a stinker. Sure the offense was stagnant but he played a solid first half, appeared somewhat gassed in the 3rd when he made quite a few defensive mistakes, missing rotations etc. you could see that there was a bit of a "veil" in his eyes. End game was better. Offensively he will have to get stronger and also his teammates will have to start learning how to use him better, where to hit him on a roll, etc. It all takes practice and in game repetition, but I think all players and staff know that it is an important part of the franchise's future.

On the road against the second best team in the East without Derrick and we were in the game for the entire game? I'll take that!

I thought we did fairly good on defense. I wasn't happy with Gordons and Alecs defense and our post D against Miller was terrible but other than that it looked good.
Our offense was terrible though and most of it had to do with Rudy playing. Sorry people but Cy is right(at least for this game) and the stats back it up as well.Rudy on the floor: 78.4 OffRtg, off the floor: 107.9 OffRtg ; that's the the truth at least for this game but for the season it's not that big of a problem. There is a difference in playing starters and scrubs!
I was a little disappointed in Enes. With Derrick out I felt like he should have done more and helped Rudy out.

Well...

Let's go Jazz!!!

Just starting the game now

LOVE these green jerseys

Gobert forced a turnover on the first wizard possession.

Then fights for an offensive rebound and earns another possession for the jazz.

Then goes hard at the rim and draws the foul against gortat (makes 1 free throw)

Nice start

Hayward shuts down pierce and blocks the shot

Kanter swatted by wall lol

Burks just doing what he does on defense
(Sag off into the paint when guarding a great shooter)

Kanter off so far

Boler "that jumpshot off the mark, and oh, it goes in"

Pierce tries to guard Alec on the perimeter lol. Alec shakes him and drains the three.

Someone finally hits gobert on the lob (it has been open like 5 times so far)
Good job Hayward

Booker kind of sucks

Hayward ball watching and loses pierce for the easy dunk

Hayward very aggressive in the first quarter.

Nice start for him (refs not giving him any help though)

This lineup lol. (Exum, evans, jingles, hood, gobert)