What's new

Game thread..Pelicans @jazz.... tank tested

Did everyone think the Jazz were going to go 0-82? Start complaining when the Jazz get to twenty wins too soon. Last night's game was exactly the game the Jazz should win. They had six players in double figures and they shot 51% and 40% from 3pt with a bunch of FTs. Only Lucas kept the team from blowing out the Pelicans last night.

Lucas only played 15 minutes. He didnt impact it that much for good or bad.

I'm happy we got the win. I pay for season tickets so I need an occasional great game. It took old man Jefferson and Marv to triple their usual production, a D leaguer to come in and play great, AND Gordon, kanter, and favors to have above average games to get the win. Thats not going to happen too often.

I think Garrett can maintain his level of play. Same with kanter and Hayward. I expect over time that Favors, Burke and Burks will more then make up for marvin and Jefferson.

Jazz will start winning more games late in the season and jazzfanz will go nuclear.

How about a little perspective for the doomsdayers complaining about one win. First the Jazz are still in last place. There are several teams with only two wins but no team has more than six losses.

Jazz win was not a road win. NBA teams are suppose to win games at home.

Last year standings:

I took all the teams who finished with under 30 wins last year or teams that were suppose to be tanking. So let's say these are the Jazz competition for getting the number one pick. With their 2012 totals and current records.

Toronto (34) 4-5
Cleveland (24) -3-6
Magic (20) 4-5
Timberwolves (31) 6-3
Suns (25) 5-3
Kings (28) 2-5
Bobcats (21) 4-4
Boston (43) 4-5
Pistons (29) 2-5
Pelicans (27) 3-6
Wizards (29) 2-6
Philly (37)5-4

Surprise bad starts: Brooklyn 2-5 and NY Knicks 3-4. Both of these teams were projected to be in the hunt for top playoff spots. I still believe both will make the playoffs. Teams like Boston, LA, and Dallas who were suppose to be part of the Tanker race (intentional or not) have played better than anticipated. Besides these franchises have a history of winning (LA and Boston and Dallas recently) so I highly doubt they will try to lose especially with players like Kobe and Dirk still on the team. Boston has played better than anyone could imagine and Rondo still hasn't played.

Some of the other tanker teams like Philly, Orlando, Charlotte have played better than anticipated and already have a 3 or 4 game lead on the Jazz. People forget that the margin between the bad teams were only a small amount of games. Teams like T-Wolves are for real as long as they stay healthy. Memphis is playing poor but I don't expect that to continue all season. Yes it is early and some team could go on a major losing streak of double digits but so could the Jazz. Looking at the standings I can 't see how people are getting all up and arms about one win, a win that was at home against a team on the last game of a 5 game road stand against a team desperate for a win. THe Jazz can't really play much better than they did last night except for reducing their turnovers.

So as of now, people are way overreacting about one home win against a average team. So hopefully people will calm done and realize that the Jazz will be hard bent to reach 20 wins this year which equaled the low win total last year.

Another good thought: GS is currently 5-3 and tied with Dallas for the last 7th and 8th playoff spot. Yes it is early but people forget the Western conference is tough and GS making the playoffs isn't a given. The best scenario is for the Jazz to win against GS instead of other teams.

For me right now the Jazz are in perfect position to get a top 3 pick and with some luck the Jazz might get a second lottery pick.

It would suck to miss out on that but that also means that enough of our youth have developed and are starting to show up.
Or it could mean that our tanking competition is much more willing to take drastic measures down the stretch than we are. Does anybody here believe that the Jazz could ever tank as unashamedly as GS did two years ago? I don't. If we are not well behind everybody else for the stretch run I'm not at all confident that we can lose this race. Passing up the other teams does not necessarily mean that your youth has developed.

Or it could mean that our tanking competition is much more willing to take drastic measures down the stretch than we are. Does anybody here believe that the Jazz could ever tank as unashamedly as GS did two years ago? I don't. If we are not well behind everybody else for the stretch run I'm not at all confident that we can lose this race. Passing up the other teams does not necessarily mean that your youth has developed.

Good point. Not finishing in last place and the youth developing are not mutually inclusive or exclusive.

This.

Our ONLY chance of ending up with a bottom 3 record is if we start out horribly, which luckily we have.

The end of the season could be so painful if we start to gel and pick up meaningless wins while other teams shamelessly tank.

£¥£

This.

Our ONLY chance of ending up with a bottom 3 record is if we start out horribly, which luckily we have.

The end of the season could be so painful if we start to gel and pick up meaningless wins while other teams shamelessly tank.

£¥£

Someone said something earlier in this thread about the Jazz trading away the expiring vets around the trade deadline for dead weight. That might be another stealth tank move.

But there is no way the players ever quit playing hard just to deliberately tank.

Someone said something earlier in this thread about the Jazz trading away the expiring vets around the trade deadline for dead weight. That might be another stealth tank move.

But there is no way the players ever quit playing hard just to deliberately tank.

Eh, not convinced we could make a trade like that work.

£¥£

I'm pretty sure that David Locke jizzed his pants when Jefferson hit that 3 late in the 4th qtr. He seriously made 4 consecutive orgasmic moans between Richard and whatever he actually did. It took me a good 15 seconds before I knew what had happened.

And, in the final 4 mins he said 3 times for fans to come out and support the team on Friday against the Spurs. I didn't see the game (just the radio) so I'm guessing the arena is looking pretty green.

This was a good win. SA will put us back into our places. And we will soon start a new losing streak. One can only hope. I want Jabari or Wiggins on this team so bad!