What's new

Game thread: The allure of John Amaechi — Utah @ Detroit 3/7/20 5 pm

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
February 25, 2000:

Now celebrating the 20th anniversary of Orlando coming to Salt Lake City. The leading scorer of the game for either team was one John Amaechi, tallying 24 points on 8 of 17 from the field. Nevertheless, a losing effort as the Jazz walk away with the 88-96 victory.

5096ee7084edb_146213b.jpg

Summer 2020:

Mr. Amaechi, with a total of $585,000 in career NBA earnings to that point, enters free agency. This summer Amaechi is pursued by both the Utah Jazz as well as Los Angeles Lakers. With a 6-year offer worth $17 million from LA, Amaechi turns this offer down as a sign of loyalty to Orlando, who offers him a $600k, one year deal.

Summer 2001:

John Amaechi’s loyalty is rewarded by Orlando by being allowed into free agency so they could sign Patrick Ewing to play 13.9 minutes per game. The pathway now paved for Larry H. to pounce.

With two years and $4.5M, Larry grabs his guy.

“The reason John's here, is when Orlando (came) here the year before last, he kicked our ***,” Jazz owner Larry H. Miller exclaimed at Amaechi’s introductory press conference.

130420821.0.jpg

March 7, 2020:

The Jazz front office, with their tendencies to being aggressive, get an opportunity to scout a player that they have heretofore been prohibited from having any knowledge about, and his performance against us may or may not catch eyes.

usa_today_13478137.0.jpg

With any luck, we may walk out with a win and hopefully a piqued interest from the FO, but I’m not holding my breath.

Here’s to hoping it works out better than Amaechi...

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-7_11-55-34.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-7_11-55-34.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 28
This one will be a tough watch for me... We need this win and we need Wood to play well enough that DLJZ will know who he is and maybe get hyper focused on bringing him in... we know once they lock into their target they don’t deviate.

Wood is a FA this summer no? And all we can offer is our MLE?
All we can offer is what DL is willing to offer. Or make available. Help us, Christian Wood. You’re our only hope. Except that hope is in the hands of DL and how rigidly he thinks he can only offer the MLE.

All we can offer is what DL is willing to offer. Or make available. Help us, Christian Wood. You’re our only hope. Except that hope is in the hands of DL and how rigidly he thinks he can only offer the MLE.
I honestly think there’s about a 50/50 shot that MLE is enough. If Detroit retains him they need the contract to be a tradeable asset... go too high and it’s no longer an asset... see Love, Kevin.

We played yesterday at 8pm EST and today at 7pm EST. Wasn't there a rule about having to play at least 24 hours apart? Maybe it's different since we were originally supposed to be on ESPN last night and it was one of those late starts

This one will be a tough watch for me... We need this win and we need Wood to play well enough that DLJZ will know who he is and maybe get hyper focused on bringing him in... we know once they lock into their target they don’t deviate.
FO missed the moment to get him. In December he could cost Niang plus NWG. I don't belive Jazz to get him in FA.

FO missed the moment to get him. In December he could cost Niang plus NWG. I don't belive Jazz to get him in FA.
That move would be too aggressive. After all, we had just waived a former #5 pick to give Niang more minutes. You don’t just punt on a guy like that.

That move would be too aggressive. After all, we had just waived a former #5 pick to give Niang more minutes. You don’t just punt on a guy like that.
You are right, but I watch this guy play for a year when he was in NOLA. This year in Detroit he was on the bench until Blake's injury. In games when he was given playing time every time he shows good results. I was confident to myself that if he is a starter he is the guy for Jazz. Now as a starter for Pistons he proves my vision.

I honestly think there’s about a 50/50 shot that MLE is enough. If Detroit retains him they need the contract to be a tradeable asset... go too high and it’s no longer an asset... see Love, Kevin.

Ten teams will offer him the MLE. Several teams were inquiring about Harry Giles. More will show interest in Wood. Wood is what people were hoping Marquese Chriss would be when he was drafted in the lottery.

Last edited:
Donovan needs the ball. He's barely involved

And why do we skip so many shots? **** me. Open 3? Nope, ****** pass instead. Open mid-range short shot-clock? Nope, another ****** pass. SHOOT THE ****ING BALL!

I bet the Pistons ML. Also bet the Rox ML and Nuggets ML. Basically I’m betting against us ML and for other top six teams in West ML small each game. A loss means I double up the next game.

We are playing D again and getting deflections. Feels good.

Is Maker ****ing serious? Dude shouldn’t even be allowed to play if he’s that retarded.