What's new

Gay marriage in Utah put on hold

goona put some fuel on this fire.
anybody familiar with israels stand on gay marriage?

too long to typeso gonna qoute wikipedia
Same-sex marriage cannot legally be performed in Israel. Under the confessional community system that operates in Israel, each of the recognized confessional communities regulates the personal status, including marriage and divorce, of its members. The state views marriage as a religious institution and as such does not issue marriage licences, regardless of sexual orientation. This secures separation of church and state and aims to prevent conflict between the various religions in the country. The religious authority for the Jewish majority marriages is the Chief Rabbinate of Israel and there are parallel authorities for Christians, Muslims, Druze and nine Christian authorities, with a total of 15 religious courts. These regulate all marriages and divorces for their own communities. Currently they all oppose same-sex marriages. If the views of one of these bodies were to change, however, it would be legal for members of that religious community to enter into same-sex marriages in Israel. However, progressive religious denominations have been refused recognition in the confessional community system.

Same-sex marriages performed abroad can be recorded at the Israeli Administration of Border Crossings, Population and Immigration, according to a 2006 High Court of Justice ruling which defined such records as strictly 'for statistical purposes', thereby avoiding official recognition of same-sex marriages by the state.[1]

Notwithstanding the nonavailability of same-sex marriage (or civil marriage, for that matter) in Israel, unmarried same-sex and heterosexual couples in Israel have equal access to nearly all of the rights of marriage in the form of unregistered cohabitation status, akin to common-law marriage. In 2013, the Yesh Atid party, a member of the governing coalition, introduced a bill that would provide for civil marriage for both heterosexual and same-sex couples. [2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Israel

thats the best solution EVER!

there are probably other threads where this might be more apt, but I don't have time to look right now...

https://news.yahoo.com/study-suggests-genetic-male-homosexuality-140227085.html

CHICAGO (AP) — A large study of gay brothers adds to evidence that genes influence men's chances of being homosexual, but the results aren't strong enough to prove it.

Some scientists believe several genes might affect sexual orientation. Researchers who led the new study of nearly 800 gay brothers say their results bolster previous evidence pointing to genes on the X chromosome.

They also found evidence of influence from a gene or genes on a different chromosome. But the study doesn't identify which of hundreds of genes located in either place might be involved.

Smaller studies seeking genetic links to homosexuality have had mixed results.

The new evidence "is not proof but it's a pretty good indication" that genes on the two chromosomes have some influence over sexual orientation, said Dr. Alan Sanders, the lead author. He studies behavioral genetics at NorthShore University HealthSystem Research Institute in Evanston, Illinois....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtATeQ7GKg&index=2&list=RDKk8eJh4i8Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtATeQ7GKg&index=2&list=RDKk8eJh4i8Lo

For anyone who needs clarification. I'm posting this as a message from one gay partner, to their SO telling them that they are "going in for the kill" on gay marriage and hope that their partner will continue to "hold their hand."

In other words, to gay marriage opponents, you're an endangered species.

there are probably other threads where this might be more apt, but I don't have time to look right now...

https://news.yahoo.com/study-suggests-genetic-male-homosexuality-140227085.html

CHICAGO (AP) — A large study of gay brothers adds to evidence that genes influence men's chances of being homosexual, but the results aren't strong enough to prove it.

Some scientists believe several genes might affect sexual orientation. Researchers who led the new study of nearly 800 gay brothers say their results bolster previous evidence pointing to genes on the X chromosome.

They also found evidence of influence from a gene or genes on a different chromosome. But the study doesn't identify which of hundreds of genes located in either place might be involved.

Smaller studies seeking genetic links to homosexuality have had mixed results.

The new evidence "is not proof but it's a pretty good indication" that genes on the two chromosomes have some influence over sexual orientation, said Dr. Alan Sanders, the lead author. He studies behavioral genetics at NorthShore University HealthSystem Research Institute in Evanston, Illinois....

Thanks for the post, Moe. What do you believe?

well, I was trying to think up some sort of mundane remark that ended with the phrase "Please advise." but I couldn't come up with anything.

So I'll just tell you what I believe.

I believe that there are probably multiple reasons for the variety of sexual behaviors and preferences that humans exhibit. Nature and nurture both play a role and I see no reason to doubt that genetics plays some role. I also think it's too complicated in real life to say it's strictly a binary issue - - I think there is a spectrum of sexuality and a person's place on that spectrum (gay, straight, bi, indifferent) may not necessarily be fixed in the same spot their entire life.

That's what I believe. Hope that answers your question!

So, right back at you Viny, what do YOU believe?

well, I was trying to think up some sort of mundane remark that ended with the phrase "Please advise." but I couldn't come up with anything.

I believe that there are probably multiple reasons for the variety of sexual behaviors and preferences that humans exhibit. Nature and nurture both play a role and I see no reason to doubt that genetics plays some role. I also think it's too complicated in real life to say it's strictly a binary issue - - I think there is a spectrum of sexuality and a person's place on that spectrum (gay, straight, bi, indifferent) may not necessarily be fixed in the same spot their entire life.

I agree with all of this, with the provisions that spectrum is too one-dimensional and that while your specific place may not be fixed for everyone, it seems to be fixed for some and everyone has limits as to how far it can move.

Good post. Agreed.

decent. Opinion.

I look at my cows and bulls and other animals and see comproble "diversity" or spectrums of behavior.

I just think it's stupid to try to pin labels on bulls, people or any other living thing elevating behavior to the level of identity, or making laws that confer or deny rights dependent on those labels.

People are people .

Write the laws so everyone has their inherent rights.

The relative merits of behaviors is fair game for religion, but not for government, unless the government is protecting our individual rights against abuses from other folks.

I kind of agree with Baberaham Lincoln here, but I'm afraid we're way past any hope of that. On paper, it sounds like a no-brainer, and if humans didn't have such a wretched history of treating each other like dog ****, then we wouldn't even need to be having this discussion. Labels suck, no doubt, but not as much as being denied your basic human rights because of how you were born.

Great ****ing post, Moe. Did you read the Micro Penis article I was referencing the other week. There's definitely a scenario of "nurture" there.

Anwyay, I believe what you believe.