What's new

Get to know an NBA owner!

The last owner that we'll learn about today is Herb Kohl of the Milwaukee Bucks. As of 2005, Mister Kohl had a net worth of $279 million. He inherited his wealth and ownership of the Kohl's corporation from his father, the founder of the Kohl's brand stores. In 1988 Mister Kohl spent more than $5 million of his own money to campaign for the of seat of outgoing Wisconsin Senator William Proxmire. Proxmire had spent just $145.10 campaigning for the same seat six years before. Mister Kohl has spent $20 million of his own money in subsequent campaigns.

So Greg should be penalized...

Please review my posts. I never said that, or anything like that. I have noticed that a lot of people here are cheering for the owners to win their lockout battle with the players. I did a little research and found a lot of interesting information about their heroes (the owners). Enjoy!

Last edited:
This thread has been helpful, it reminded me that when money is involved people and governments can become real a-holes and it increases the higher the money involved gets.

I am really liking this thread. I enjoy random facts.

Also, I think it is funny the attitude of Americans (particularly the left). I love how tax breaks "cost" the federal government money. NO THEY DON'T. It was never their money to begin with. Instead of saying, "tax breaks cost the government x amount of dollars every year" it should read, "because they pay taxes, and employ thousands of people, who then pay taxes, *insert company* provides millions of dollars to the government to help the government function and provide basic life support to those in need."

Until EVERYONE pays taxes, corporations are not the enemy.

*steps down off soap box, realizing he might have just killed a great thread*

so your saying they should give the players what they want in the negotiations.
well a bussiness SHOULD make profits if they aint making profits they should just shut it DOWN.

Poeple don't buy sports teams to make profits (or if they do, they run the team like Sterling).

This helps to illustrate how much easier it is going to be for the owners to withstand a work stoppage than the players.

Poeple don't buy sports teams to make profits (or if they do, they run the team like Sterling).
They don't?
While a major part of the purchase is ego-driven, the profit potential cannot be overlooked. Most of the profit is made on the appreciation of the frnachise over the ownership period. So the goal by most owners, especially those who may not have a huge cash flow from other businesses would be to run the team at as close to break even as possible in terms of yearly operating revenue/expenses.

And apparently that isn't happening right now for the smaller market teams. I'm not championing their cause, but I certainly want a fairer system as a fan. Baseball has been ruined by every team basically being a farm club for the Yankees and Red Sox and to a lesser extent, teams like Philadelphia or Texas willing to really up their payrolls. The only thing left to cheer for is the occasional run by an underdog - but that's usually followed by the break up of the team in free agency.

I don't mind the thread. Just stay on point. Kroenke doesn't work for Wal-Mart. You can't really blame him for Wal-Mart's impact on state and local governments because he is married to Ann Walton (who probably doesn't work for Wal-Mart either). And when you're finished with the owners you can start on the players.

This helps to illustrate how much easier it is going to be for the owners to withstand a work stoppage than the players.

Of course the people with "more net worth" are going to be able to withstand the lockout better. However, most players have endorsement deals and other business ventures as well to soften the blow. I would say that unless you're in the top 20 percent in the league, you're probably hurting pretty bad in this lockout. Fringe retirement players suffer the worst (you're not getting any younger). However, if these players saw this coming a few years back and didn't "plan for this" than it really is their own fault. The ones I feel the worst for are 2nd round/undrafted rookie caliber players who likely won't get a fair shot this year.

I am really liking this thread. I enjoy random facts.

Also, I think it is funny the attitude of Americans (particularly the left). I love how tax breaks "cost" the federal government money. NO THEY DON'T. It was never their money to begin with. Instead of saying, "tax breaks cost the government x amount of dollars every year" it should read, "because they pay taxes, and employ thousands of people, who then pay taxes, *insert company* provides millions of dollars to the government to help the government function and provide basic life support to those in need."

Until EVERYONE pays taxes, corporations are not the enemy.

*steps down off soap box, realizing he might have just killed a great thread*

Spot on. Repped.

Our first owner of today is: Ted Leonsis of the Washington Wizards. Mister Leonsis amassed his estimated $1 billion fortune while working as an executive at AOL and then AOL Time Warner from 1993 to 2006. AOL Time Warner's investors were not as fortunate as Mister Leonsis. The market cap value of Time Warner stock declined by approximately 80% during the AOL era costing investors hundreds of billions of dollars. Mister Leonsis lives in a 20,000 square-foot estate in Potomac, Maryland that was once the summer home of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It has 8 bedrooms, 11 bathrooms, parking for ten cars, and is said to be haunted.

I'm interested to see rust's blurb about the Charlotte Bobcats' owner and how he got his fortune.

I love that Leonis's house is haunted. Fantastic tid-bits. I will definitely bring all this stuff up when we play these teams next year.

Of course the people with "more net worth" are going to be able to withstand the lockout better. However, most players have endorsement deals and other business ventures as well to soften the blow. I would say that unless you're in the top 20 percent in the league, you're probably hurting pretty bad in this lockout. Fringe retirement players suffer the worst (you're not getting any younger). However, if these players saw this coming a few years back and didn't "plan for this" than it really is their own fault. The ones I feel the worst for are 2nd round/undrafted rookie caliber players who likely won't get a fair shot this year.

what about second and third year players. who are still on rookie contract. according to the rookie scale(not counting top 10 rookies) they made something like 1.5 million.
so substract tax
moving cost(moving to another city) maybe byuing a house. etc etc. maybe mortage/lease. those guys might not last 6 months without a paycheck. same goes for 3rd year players

I did a little research and found a lot of interesting information about their heroes (the owners). Enjoy!

You need to do some more research and find out who truly benefits if the players were to get their way. The RICHEST of owners would have an advantage over teams like Utah. Siding with either the owners or players is completely shortsighted.

This thread is quite ironic, actually.

I don't mind the thread. Just stay on point. Kroenke doesn't work for Wal-Mart. You can't really blame him for Wal-Mart's impact on state and local governments because he is married to Ann Walton (who probably doesn't work for Wal-Mart either).

I never said Kroenke worked for Wal-Mart. He is clearly working very closely with Wal-Mart:

Kroenke and Wal-Mart also have drawn fire for receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in public subsidies for their projects.

THF Realty, a St. Louis-based shopping-center developer in which Kroenke is a part-owner, received $117 million in tax breaks from local governments on 10 shopping-center developments from 1994 to 2006, according to Good Jobs First, a Washington-based group that tracks subsidies paid to Wal-Mart. Of that, $54 million went toward Wal-Mart stores.

About 50 percent to 60 percent of THF projects have Wal-Mart or related tenants, Staenberg said.

"We always give them the opportunity to be part of our projects, but there are no special deals," he said of Wal-Mart. "The reason we get deals is that if we tell people we're going to do something, it gets done. ... (Kroenke) wishes that people would recognize that he's a successful businessman on his own."

https://www.denverpost.com/null/ci_6318716

You need to do some more research and find out who truly benefits if the players were to get their way...

Most of the threads around here have a title that is irrelevant to its content. I am trying something different: I stated the purpose of the thread in the title.

Last edited: