What's new

Get to know an NBA owner!

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t

Contributor
For our first installment of "Get to know an NBA owner", I have randomly selected Micky Arison, the owner of the Miami Heat. Mister Arison became wealthy at age 30 when he inherited his father's Carnival cruise ship business. All Carnival vessels are registered in foreign countries, costing the American taxpayer an estimated $360 million annually. Mister Arison's current net worth is around $5 billion. Among his many material possesions are four "superyachts", including the 21st largest yacht owned by an American (more on "superyachts" to come).

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t is the proud owner of no team and creator of a useless post. He/She has no life and thinks of how great it would be to own Carnival Cruise lines. Because of this He/She watches "Im on a Boat" 15 times a day while thinking how cool it would be to be rich.

I have randomly selected Denver Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke for our next installment. Mister Kroenke married Wal-Mart heiress Ann Walton in 1974. He has since amassed a fortune worth $3.3 billion by doing real estate development business with his wife's company. It is estimated by some that Wal-Mart costs state and local governments $400 million annually in lost revenue due to special property tax abatements, sales tax rebates, infrastructure and site improvements, and other economic development subsidies only afforded to Wal-Mart. Mister Kroenke also has an ownership stake in several other professional sports franchises including the Saint Louis Rams, Colorado Avalanche, and English Premier League soccer club Arsenal.

So far into this, I'm really liking and respecting owners. It seems they are honest and could use a leg up. Please continue.

I find this thread topical, more interesting than most, and related to the lockout thread.

NBA players should be thankful that these billionaires are using their wealth to subsidize NBA player's humongous salaries.

I find this thread topical, more interesting than most, and related to the lockout thread.

NBA players should be thankful that these billionaires are using their wealth to subsidize NBA player's humongous salaries.

...I agree with Northeast! This is a GREAT thread...and should be left right here until the lockout is over! After we go through all the owners....we can start on the players! How many times they've been arrested.....how many times they've been divorced....how many illegitimate ******* babies they've fathered.....how many jailhouse tats they have, etc. etc. etc.

so your saying they should give the players what they want in the negotiations.
well a bussiness SHOULD make profits if they aint making profits they should just shut it DOWN.

als the player(workforce) neefs to work to make money to make a lving.
so far all players make great living. notdecent not avarage but greta living.
so it dont matter to me if clippers is owned by apple and Microsoft. if clippers are losing money they should **** it the **** down. or save expenses on other stuff(player salarys).

the nba is A bussiness however you put it so they try to MAKE. if a bussiness cant turn a profit after 3 years. thye should reorganize. if it still dont make a profit shut it the **** down.

maybe thats why they are millionaires and your NOT

so your saying they should give the players what they want in the negotiations.
well a bussiness SHOULD make profits if they aint making profits they should just shut it DOWN.

als the player(workforce) neefs to work to make money to make a lving.
so far all players make great living. notdecent not avarage but greta living.
so it dont matter to me if clippers is owned by apple and Microsoft. if clippers are losing money they should **** it the **** down. or save expenses on other stuff(player salarys).

the nba is A bussiness however you put it so they try to MAKE. if a bussiness cant turn a profit after 3 years. thye should reorganize. if it still dont make a profit shut it the **** down.

maybe thats why they are millionaires and your NOT

...I agree with Northeast! This is a GREAT thread...and should be left right here until the lockout is over! After we go through all the owners....we can start on the players! How many times they've been arrested.....how many times they've been divorced....how many illegitimate ******* babies they've fathered.....how many jailhouse tats they have, etc. etc. etc.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

It is estimated by some that Wal-Mart costs state and local governments $400 million annually in lost revenue due to special property tax abatements, sales tax rebates, infrastructure and site improvements, and other economic development subsidies only afforded to Wal-Mart.
He's accepting tax breaks that governments have offered him? I'm appalled!

I'll be honest. I don't really give a **** about how all the other owners came into their money. They're all a bunch of greedy, undeserving rich guys. Yeah, we all get it. I also don't care about Kobe, Carmelo, Lebron etc. deepening their pockets either. What I do care about, however, is the Utah Jazz, and how all this affects them. As long as Stern and the owners are trying to make changes that will make it easier for small market teams to compete with the big boys, that's the side I'm on.

What can I say. I'm a selfish ****.

Last edited:
Why is the horrible thread not in General NBA??

Fair enough. Our next not-so-randomly-selected owner is Greg Miller of the Utah Jazz. Mister Miller has an estimated net worth of $480 million. He has no formal education beyond high school. He inherited his entire fortune from his father and has worked for his father's business for most of his adult life. His interests include restoring Toyota Land Cruisers and travel.

not bad rusty... interesting insights

maybe next you can do a run-down on the teams' arenas - and especially note the corporate sponsorships, taxpayer subsidies, ticket prices and so on...

Fair enough. Our next not-so-randomly-selected owner is Greg Miller of the Utah Jazz. Mister Miller has an estimated net worth of $480 million. He has no formal education beyond high school. He inherited his entire fortune from his father and has worked for his father's business for most of his adult life. His interests include restoring Toyota Land Cruisers and travel.
So Greg should be penalized because he's carrying on his father's business. I suppose when we all die, all our money should go to Obama and our childern shouid start over from square 1. Isn;t that what "all men are created equal" means?

Love or hate Larry H., he was a self-made millionaire. He started off by working in and then managing the parts department of an auto dealership. If not for him, there would be no pro basketball in Utah. BUt I guess when he died, there should have been a law that said the franchise had to be sold to the highest bidder and could not be kept in the family. Good idea. it's about time Las Vegas got a team.