What's new

Gobert Not Participating in Eurobasket This Summer

He has no move 5-10 feet from the basket and nothing with his back to the basket. The clippers figured it out. They made an adjustment late in game 5 or 6. Rudy gets a lot of his points by sliding down the lane behind the defense, close to the basket he can score. The clippers learned they could rotate a wing ( redick did it twice) he got in front of Rudy after Rudy set his picked but 6-7 feet from the basket. The jazz still passed it to Rudy, because he looked open, but Rudy couldn't step around or jump over redick. The times I recall led to an ugly turnover and an ugly shot.

Rudy needs a shot he believes in that is not a dunk, and he needs to learn some post foot work. I'm sure the jazz noticed too, Jensen will teach him.

Rudy was basically playing on one leg. He was having trouble stepping around people or exploding athletically over people. It had nothing to do with getting "exposed". He just didn't have the strength to do the things he normally does.

Good. I remember Lindsey said they put a lot of incentives in his contract that included staying in Salt Lake City in the offseason, and I'm sure a couple million dollars helped sway Rudy to stay and train.

Teams switch guards to bigs even on good post players. Post play just isnt super efficient so teams dont care that much. Harden was guarding Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol to some success in the post (though it did tire him out in the long run). I dont think Rudy can develop enough of a post-game for teams to really fear a Rudy Gobert post-up. His next offensive step should be a shot in the 10-15 foot range.

It's just having the basic skills to take advantage of a mismatch. There were a lot of times this season where Gobert had a smaller man pinned down in the post, and either didn't get the ball, or couldn't take advantage when he did. Juxtapose that with a guy like Diaw or JJ who the Jazz would feed when they picked up a mismatch like that. IF the Jazz had guards switched on guys like Blake or even DJ they often went to those matchups and in some of the games it really hurt the Jazz.

By the same token, when it is just a rotating defender coming to help it would be great if Gobert could be a more effective guarded finisher. He is actually more effective than he looks, but he misses a lot of opportunities to score in those situations when he can't dunk or get a layup. All he needs to do is have a reliable go-to shot down there when he gets cut off. OF course passing to an open 3 is also a good option at times depending on how the defense is set. I do think it would help unlock a better offense if he just added a reliable hook shot. He has the floater thing, which also works sometimes.

I was hoping to see him play again. France usually plays a game in Germany.

But this is much better for Gobert, and our potential 2018 run.

I was hoping to see him play again. France usually plays a game in Germany.

But this is much better for Gobert, and our potential 2018 run.

I also think this sends a good and strong message to Hayward, whether that is part of his decision or not.

I'm not a fan of players skipping national team duty

There is no duty. There was a time when the Olympics and national team play featured amateur players. We should go back to that model.

There is no duty. There was a time when the Olympics and national team play featured amateur players. We should go back to that model.

That's an American perspective. Amateurism is a sham and disadvantages athletes, the only reason de Coubertin and his lot went for amateurism in the Olympics is so they wouldn't have to compete against the filthy working classes. It is the bastion of class snobbery.

It is duty because those teams domestic leagues arent anywhere close to NBA. Only Turkish and Spanish leagues are decent in Europe, but even they cant match by any means with nba. Thats why those people wants to watch good players playing for their national team at some point. I like Gobert's decision, definitely better for us. But if i were french, i would have been pissed.

It is duty because those teams domestic leagues arent anywhere close to NBA. Only Turkish and Spanish leagues are decent in Europe, but even they cant match by any means with nba. Thats why those people wants to watch good players playing for their national team at some point. I like Gobert's decision, definitely better for us. But if i were french, i would have been pissed.

This

I hope so, the clippers kind of exposed him. He needs a couple of tools to fight back.

Bull crap. Guy was playing injured. Go check Rudy's stats the last regular season game against the Clippers. They may have exploited certain elements of his game, but outright exposed? Nah.

Define "duty" then, because the idea that Gobert "owes" his talent to a country where he no longer lives for some esoteric reason is very primitive thinking. He doesn't owe France anything other than taxes, and maybe owing to his fellow french-men to be a good citizen and uphold the laws of the country, be a good neighbor, etc. But he absolutely does NOT owe them something that gains him nothing and risks his personal future career in a very real way. Just ask Exum what that "duty" got him.

Define "duty" then, because the idea that Gobert "owes" his talent to a country where he no longer lives for some esoteric reason is very primitive thinking. He doesn't owe France anything other than taxes, and maybe owing to his fellow french-men to be a good citizen and uphold the laws of the country, be a good neighbor, etc. But he absolutely does NOT owe them something that gains him nothing and risks his personal future career in a very real way. Just ask Exum what that "duty" got him.

I'll assume all those who think Gobert has some kind of national duty are Trump supporters.

This is how the foreign team players feel towards playing for their National Team though. I think most understand they have to take some years off, but we all knows Gobert is going to be there for the Olympics and when they need to qualify. It's something he wants to do.

A lot of foreign players have stated a Gold Medal in the Olympics would be more important to them than a Larry O'Brien trophy.