What's new

Gobert Trade Question

Do you think 2 teams threw a max at DeAndre for his shooting and offense?

Elite rim protectors continue to have very high value. And Rudy's offense will never be great but will continue to improve. Rudy would be the second or third pick of this draft (with benefit of hindsight).

So, what, or who, do we get for him?

Kyle Lowry?
Paul George?
Klay Thompson?
James Harden?
Aldridge?
Wall, DeRozen, Butler, I Thomas, Drummand, Millsap?

What exactly could we get of value for Gobert?

463e87dcf5cc6dd425b94ce78e658c9e.jpg

So, what, or who, do we get for him?

I plucked a few players that I'd put in Gobert's future productivity range as trade candidates:

Whiteside, DeAndre, Giannis, Beal, Love, Bledsoe, Nurkic, Drummond, Rubio, Middleton, Conley, Chandler Parson, Sullinger, Mirotic, Batum, Millsap, Horford, Valanciunas, Derozen, Vucevic, Batum, Dragic, Teague, Brook Lopez, Carmelo, McCollum

I used 538 CARMELO as a starting point for Gobert's comps.

Pretty short list and I'm sure one could argue some players on or off the list.

Then, if you consider contracts, free agency and salaries, the list becomes vanishingly small.

Keep Gobert

I plucked a few players that I'd put in Gobert's future productivity range as trade candidates:

Whiteside, DeAndre, Giannis, Beal, Love, Bledsoe, Nurkic, Drummond, Rubio, Middleton, Conley, Chandler Parson, Sullinger, Mirotic, Batum, Millsap, Horford, Valanciunas, Derozen, Vucevic, Batum, Dragic, Teague, Brook Lopez, Carmelo, McCollum

I used 538 CARMELO as a starting point for Gobert's comps.

Pretty short list and I'm sure one could argue some players on or off the list.

Then, if you consider contracts, free agency and salaries, the list becomes vanishingly small.

Keep Gobert

I'd trade him for: Giannis, Beal, Drummond, Mirotic, Millsap, Hereford, Dragic.

The saddest thing? We let Millsap walk for nothing. If you swap Gobert out for any of the above players, we make the playoffs last year.

None of the teams that own the players I listed would make that trade straight up. The problem with Gobert is he is worthless on one half of the court. He isn't very valuable late in the game. He digressed last year.

No team is going to overpay for him right now. So, if you move him, you move him for a lesser player, which would be stupid. Because of that, his trade value is essentially worthless. It is worthless because you'd be stupid to trade him for a lessor player/asset and he won't net you a equal or better player.

We had better hope that he gets better offensively.