What's new

Gordon Hayward in at #10 on NBA.com MVP Race

I don't know. The Mavericks had Dirk who was still at the back end of his prime when the Mavs won in 2011. And he went off in several games in those playoffs. 48 in game one of the WCF, 40 in game 4, game winning basket in game 4 of the Finals, and so on. And the Pistons had Mr. Big Shot Chauncey Billups who was insanely clutch. I like Hayward but I don't know if he can go off like those guys or be as clutch.
No one thought Dirk could do it until he did it. He averaged 23 and 7 the year he won it all.

Chauncey was a career 15 and 5 player.

No one single handedly wins a ring. Ironically if you had to name a team that was closest to that, it would probably be Dirk when won it with the Mavs.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app
I'm sure you know what I meant though.

The cool thing about the Mavs title was that it was dudes like Marion Barea Chandler and of course Dirk becoming more than the sum of their parts and winning a title. The Jazz could be that team with Hayward leading the way, I believe that.

I mean, Dirk is considered one of the best PFs of all time. Idk what you really mean.

Most players aren't thought of being able to win a ring until they win a ring.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I saw a different kind of self confidence boost. What do you guys think? Do you think that Hayward will break out for even more potential hidden inside of him by the confidence of becoming an All Star ⭐️ ?

I post, therefore I am.

I saw a different kind of self confidence boost. What do you guys think? Do you think that Hayward will break out for even more potential hidden inside of him by the confidence of becoming an All Star ⭐️ ?

I post, therefore I am.
Maybe... Hopefully he's starting to realize he's one of the best players in the NBA.

Sent from my XT1609 using JazzFanz mobile app

No one thought Dirk could do it until he did it. He averaged 23 and 7 the year he won it all.

I always thought Dirk could be the top player on a championship team. He dominated games in his prime offensively. Unstoppable at times. It was just a matter of having the right pieces around him.

And Chauncey may have been a career 15 and 5 but in big moments there are few better than him. He took over games in big moments.

I'm not sure Hayward can take over games offensively at the level or with the consistency Dirk did. Or that he can be as clutch in big moments like Chauncey. I haven't seen that yet. I am hopeful he develops it. Because this team would be deadly if he does.

I always thought Dirk could be the top player on a championship team. He dominated games in his prime offensively. Unstoppable at times. It was just a matter of having the right pieces around him.

And Chauncey may have been a career 15 and 5 but in big moments there are few better than him. He took over games in big moments.

I'm not sure Hayward can take over games offensively at the level or with the consistency Dirk did. Or that he can be as clutch in big moments like Chauncey. I haven't seen that yet. I am hopeful he develops it. Because this team would be deadly if he does.

Pull out Chauncey's clutch stats. I bet you they're overrated

Pull out Chauncey's clutch stats. I bet you they're overrated

He averaged 16.9 PPG and 5.7 APG the year they won it. Not sure how clutch stats makes you anymore of a star or gives you anymore of a chance of winning a ring than other guys who have way better stats than you. The reason the Pistons won was defense. They had an insane opposing points average that year.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

which is fine, because it's hard to name players who've won championships with out any other HOFers on their roster. Jordan had Pippen, and (later) Rodman with Kukoc potentially getting in there at some point. Jordan retired and the Bulls had a narrow difference in their next season's win total, despite the earlier playoff exit. Lebron is the closest example we have to a one-man-wrecking crew, but even he had to surround himself with hall of famers and perennial all-stars. We all saw what Kobe did without Shaq and Pau (nothing). Hakeem is the only modern example I can think of an all-time great carrying rags to the championship. Pistons were a team of depth, where it was hard to pin the importance of Sheed over Rip or Chauncey over Big Ben. Dirk still had a HOFer on his roster, but he similarly just had a well-oiled, well-coached machine fuelled by the good play of dope veterans like Matrix and Jet and Kidd and Chandler.

Iverson carried rags to the championship series too, though they lost. That team was trash sans AI

Iverson carried rags to the championship series too, though they lost. That team was trash sans AI

yup, if he won it would have been incredible. Closest a PG has ever gone to taking a team of rags to the Finals and winning. Guard version of Hakeem. Too bad he couldn't pull it off-- but I guess it speaks to perhaps the difficulty of stopping an offensively gifted big as opposed to a PG.

Let's just pray to Hayward that he takes our MAX and we get to watch him get even better heading into his prime.

I post, therefore I am.

I liked the fact he and Westbrook seemed to become (or were already?) pals over all star weekend. Westbrook is one motivated unflappable demon possessed motha ****a. Having a guy like that around him will benefit his ascension imo.

Hayward reminds me of Steve Nash in that he just keeps improving. He's committed himself to a lifetime of growth. Like Nash he makes up for marginal disadvantages with extreme skill. I would bet money he continues to come back better each year into his 30's. I believe in him that much. But for the Jazz to win it all, the stars will really have to align.