What's new

Government to shut down at Midnight

Just wanted to make sure, we all understand that Congress could fix this right now, right? They don’t need the president’s approval for jack ****. They could pass a clean resolution to fund the government and override any presidential veto with 2/3rds majority.

However, republicans in Congress don’t see themselves as a coequal branch. They see themselves as merely a rubber stamp for Donald trump and his radical Fox News allies. This is what happens when one party surrenders it’s constitutional authority to be supplicants of a despot.

I'm shocked!

as am I. And I’m “shocked” that this is hurting republicans in the polls.

This is going to come back to bite them in the ***. But whatever. They learned nothing from the midterms. They keep doubling down on stupid. Maybe another 40 seats lost in the house and losing control of the senate and White House in 2020 will teach them? Probably not, since the gop resembles more of a cult of loosely allied libertarians, billionaires, and racists than an organized political party

as am I. And I’m “shocked” that this is hurting republicans in the polls.

This is going to come back to bite them in the ***. But whatever. They learned nothing from the midterms. They keep doubling down on stupid. Maybe another 40 seats lost in the house and losing control of the senate and White House in 2020 will teach them? Probably not, since the gop resembles more of a cult of loosely allied libertarians, billionaires, and racists than an organized political party
No. Donald doesn’t give a damn, he only cares about what Fox News and Rush think of him, and Mitch is afraid of passing a clean resolution over fear of angering the crazies and being primaried in 2020.

I'm shocked!

Just wanted to make sure, we all understand that Congress could fix this right now, right? They don’t need the president’s approval for jack ****. They could pass a clean resolution to fund the government and override any presidential veto with 2/3rds majority.

However, republicans in Congress don’t see themselves as a coequal branch. They see themselves as merely a rubber stamp for Donald trump and his radical Fox News allies. This is what happens when one party surrenders it’s constitutional authority to be supplicants of a despot.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/19/politics/house-democrats-border-security-funding-trump/index.html?r=http://www.smartnews.com/

Lies.

See, you are just too negative .

Trump, the master deal makers is the one trying to make a deal. He is coming to the table with compromises. And those "compromises" are pro immigrant.

So Trump, in one deal, will prove he isnt racist and is the greatest deal making president in history.

Boom!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/19/politics/house-democrats-border-security-funding-trump/index.html?r=http://www.smartnews.com/

Lies.

See, you are just too negative .

Trump, the master deal makers is the one trying to make a deal. He is coming to the table with compromises. And those "compromises" are pro immigrant.

So Trump, in one deal, will prove he isnt racist and is the greatest deal making president in history.

Boom!
Is that what that would prove? Would you mind breaking that down for us in some sort of coherent form?

I hope Dems tell Donald and the GOP to go pound sand. No wall funding... ever!

Especially after this ********:

They’re just a bunch of economically anxious white kids, right? They’re just a bunch of kids worried about illegal immigration, that’s why they’re yelling “Build that wall” at a Native American Vietnam veteran, right?

After all, the wall is meant for security, not a symbol for white supremacy, right?

On a side note, these jerks provide a perfect example for the need to maintain the legalization of abortion. Hell, we need much greater access to the services offered by planned parenthood. We need fewer of these oxygen converters.

Better yet, can we deport these MAGA racists and keep The DACA kids?

Last edited:
So, he offered to continue 2 programs that he tried to end but the courts told him he couldn't.

And they’re temporary programs with an expiration date in 3 years. So if republicans maintain control of the executive/senate last 2020, they can always shred the deal/prevent anything from becoming permanent. I don’t see democrats gaining anything from this. It’s essentially the same deal (albeit, with less wall funding) that Dems offered trump before they retook the house.

Dems weren’t working from a position of power back then.

We shouldn’t agree to this. I think trump forcing racism through holding the country hostage sets a terrible precedent. If he doesn’t have the votes to promote his agenda then he needs to give it up. Become more moderate. Time to change. That’s how democracy works.

Elections, like midterms, have consequences

And they’re temporary programs with an expiration date in 3 years. So if republicans maintain control of the executive/senate last 2020, they can always shred the deal/prevent anything from becoming permanent. I don’t see democrats gaining anything from this. It’s essentially the same deal (albeit, with less wall funding) that Dems offered trump before they retook the house.

Dems weren’t working from a position of power back then.

We shouldn’t agree to this. I think trump forcing racism through holding the country hostage sets a terrible precedent. If he doesn’t have the votes to promote his agenda then he needs to give it up. Become more moderate. Time to change. That’s how democracy works.

Elections, like midterms, have consequences
Dude, NPC explained that Trump has proven that NONE of his agenda is racist, at all, none of it. Just a few posts up, man. I mean his logic is pretty solid. Or at least, I'm sure it is. He hasn't presented his logic yet, but he sounded arrogant, and that's a leadership quality, so he's obviously a leader and has answers. And even if his answers seem to be completely inconsistent with our personal observations, we should "recalibrate" our understanding of "facts" and "truth" until we see the world we want to see it, which should be the way NPC tells us it is. Obviously he's right, so we just need to make that work in our heads.

Dude, NPC explained that Trump has proven that NONE of his agenda is racist, at all, none of it. Just a few posts up, man. I mean his logic is pretty solid. Or at least, I'm sure it is. He hasn't presented his logic yet, but he sounded arrogant, and that's a leadership quality, so he's obviously a leader and has answers. And even if his answers seem to be completely inconsistent with our personal observations, we should "recalibrate" our understanding of "facts" and "truth" until we see the world we want to see it, which should be the way NPC tells us it is. Obviously he's right, so we just need to make that work in our heads.

Sorry, my bad. I put him on ignore a few days ago. I got tired of sifting through his BS through these threads. It makes reading this website a hell of a lot better when you don’t have to swim through pages of garbage spewed by Dutch, Babe, and Hack

I don't think this was the thread you meant to post this in. But, holy ****.

No it was. The shutdown is the result of Donald wanting to build his wall despite not having the votes. The wall is merely a symbol for racists, like those at Covington Catholic. It has nothing to do with security. It has everything to do with MAGA hats telling Latinos, native Americans, women, LGBT, and people of color their proper place.

These shutdowns are a joke. The government still has many people working (and getting paid). Those off work always get paid after the gov't get funded (essentially paid vacation for gov't employees).

Still a joke right? Everyone is laughing, right? I dare you to tell a coast guard or TSA agent that they’re on paid vacation.

Still a joke right? Everyone is laughing, right? I dare you to tell a coast guard or TSA agent that they’re on paid vacation.

And they don't get paid after the government reopens. Unless they worked unpaid during the shutdown (backpay, not paid holiday). Jazzgasm is a good poster, but that was bs.

Or the > 1500 IRS employees in Ogden who are being forced to work without pay.

Thank god my agency got fully funded before this. Dodged a major bullet. But the entire thing is ********. Is criminal imo.

These shutdowns are a joke. The government still has many people working (and getting paid). Those off work always get paid after the gov't get funded (essentially paid vacation for gov't employees).

I’ve been on the bad end of a shut down and thank god I dodged this one.

But a joke? The **** it is.