What's new

Grade the Trade: Mitchell to Cavs

How would you grade the trade for us?

• Total voters
I give it a B+. But this trade changed some things for me in a good way. There hasn’t been a time I’ve been less interested or more apathetic about this franchise in the past 25 years as I have been the past two months since we traded Gobert. The idea of having Donovan still on the team after moving Rudy felt dirty. Literally last night I was thinking about how disinterested I was and if this would be a convenient time, with everything else going on in life that I can focus on, to just check out. Finally ripping the bandaid off has washed away a lot of that. Not all of it, but more than half.

I also see us being somewhat competitive next year, too. Not necessarily playoffs but not tank front runners. We’d need some lottery luck. But even finishing 10th worst gives you 20% chance at top 4 with the new odds.
All of this.

The only reservation I have from this is that I fear that the Cavs picks will be worth less than the Knick's picks would have been, as I think they are pretty solid and if they see some early success they could lock this core in for nearly a decade with extensions later, which means we end up with picks in the 20's, whereas I am pretty confident the Knick's are headed to a collapse whether they had Mitchell or not, so they would at least be late lottery at the worst. Otherwise, from players and picks, this was a great haul. Solid B on the trade overall.

If this was nuggets version DM, the guy who dropped 50, this trade would be a fail.

But the recent version of him , disinterested / disconnect, I would give this trade an A.
Yeah this is one big reason I was more than happy to move on from Mitchell. His true colors were shining through and they are really ugly. You can tell the measure of a man by how he respond when **** isn't going his way. Gobert kept fighting the good fight and doing all he could on both ends to win. Mitchell kicked back and said "**** it" and stopped playing any semblance of D and stopped any kind of play-making on the court, making it very clear he was disgruntled and wasn't going to put forth any effort as a result. Stark contrast imo. Gobert I will miss, Mitchell I am glad is gone.

I said A-. They worked on it all summer and weren't going to get a better deal. Meanwhile, they told the Knicks to kick rocks and sent Mitchell to take his wine and cheese to Cleveland.

I dig it.

Reality: A+

The False Delusion Most of Were Under: A-

The early hype about how much we could squeeze out of the Knicks made Mitchell's trade value prospects way too unrealistic. I think we got way over fair value for Mitchell. I think Mitchell is a top 25-30 player, not top 20. We got a Top 20 package for a flawed player. Not that I love any of the players we got, but we got 3 young starters. I wish more of them were on rookie deals, but they are all 3 on long-term fair value deals at least.

A+

Is Donovan Mitchell a 2029 unprotected 1st, 2028 pick swap, Collin Sexton (4/72M) and Lauri Markannen combination better than Dejounte Murray?

A+

Is Donovan Mitchell a 2029 unprotected 1st, 2028 pick swap, Collin Sexton (4/72M) and Lauri Markannen combination better than Dejounte Murray?

This is counting Charlotte’s protected 2023 pick as an equal to Agbaji too. I would rather have Agbaji than that pick too.

A/A-

Got a substantially better haul of young players than I expected, and the combination of 3 UFRP + 2 swaps from '25-'29 is as good as we could have hoped for.

I have confidence this Cavs nucleus will be very good for 3-5 years. 2027-2029? Who the heck knows. Highly likely at least one of those 3 picks is high lotto or better.

What trade was better, Donovan or D-Will?

DWill, because that was a bonafide preemptive strike and the Jazz were looking at having to give DWill another $100 million max extension that they didn't want to give. This is a good one though.

The kind of return you can hope to get from only poorly managed EC clubs.
Clueless FOs didn't even bother to check NETRTG and notice Donovan was #10 on the team!!?
INCREDIBLE RETURN CONSIDERING DUDE IS A TOTAL JOKE

I'd give it an A.

While I think I would've preferred the package from NY that included RJ Barrett, Mitchell Robinson, Obi Toppin, and 3 1st round picks I still like the haul that we got. And I think that in the long run it may actually be a better package because it also allowed us to keep roster/financial flexibility. If we had taken that offer from the Knicks we would've had to immediately extend Barrett/Robinson and commit to them as core pieces we would be building around. Instead we added Sexton/Lauri who are both on team friendly deals for the next few seasons so if they play well we can keep them around but if they don't we can easily move off of them.

I like all three of the players that we got in the deal and think that all three can be rotational guys for us going forward. Sexton is one of the better young scoring guards in the league, Lauri is an extremely skilled 7 footer, and Agbaji was a lottery pick that fits the 3&D mold perfectly.

As far as the picks are concerned I think Ainge is more so banking on the 2027/2028/2029 picks being the real value we got back from this deal. Donovan will likely be gone, we've seen stars force their way out of small markets before, and they won't have any real means to retool quickly or improve their team if things don't pan out. With the recent rumors about us wanting one of the Lakers picks as well I think the plan is to try and be good when that 2026-2027 roles around and then potentially add the final piece during that draft.

I'd give it an A.

While I think I would've preferred the package from NY that included RJ Barrett, Mitchell Robinson, Obi Toppin, and 3 1st round picks I still like the haul that we got. And I think that in the long run it may actually be a better package because it also allowed us to keep roster/financial flexibility. If we had taken that offer from the Knicks we would've had to immediately extend Barrett/Robinson and commit to them as core pieces we would be building around. Instead we added Sexton/Lauri who are both on team friendly deals for the next few seasons so if they play well we can keep them around but if they don't we can easily move off of them.

I like all three of the players that we got in the deal and think that all three can be rotational guys for us going forward. Sexton is one of the better young scoring guards in the league, Lauri is an extremely skilled 7 footer, and Agbaji was a lottery pick that fits the 3&D mold perfectly.

As far as the picks are concerned I think Ainge is more so banking on the 2027/2028/2029 picks being the real value we got back from this deal. Donovan will likely be gone, we've seen stars force their way out of small markets before, and they won't have any real means to retool quickly or improve their team if things don't pan out. With the recent rumors about us wanting one of the Lakers picks as well I think the plan is to try and be good when that 2026-2027 roles around and then potentially add the final piece during that draft.

We all would but that was never even close to being on the table.

I am torn between A+ and A. In essence we got the Gobert trade for Mitchell too. The only reason I have hesitation is whether or not we could have gotten even more from NYK.

MIN 25 = CLE 25
MIN 26 swap = CLE 26 swap
MIN 27 = CLE 27
MIN 29 < CLE 29 (Cleveland pick is unprotected, MIN is top 5 protected)
MIN 23 <= CLE 28 swap
#22 pick in 2022 draft(Walker Kessler) < #14 pick in 2022 draft(Ochai Agbaji)

Patrick Beverley
Jared Vanderbilt
Malik Beasley
Leandro Bolmaro

vs

Collin Sexton
Lauri Markkanen

So if we were elated by the Gobert trade, I have no idea why we wouldn't be about this one... This is a pretty amazing return and fits our priorities and goals in the short and the long term.

It was preemptive and gives a glimmer of hope for the future. Another season of Donovan would just be procrastinating the inevitable and the return was heavily in our favor when looking to the future. The fact that for now the Knicks lose out on a player who wants to be there puts it over the top.

I am torn between A+ and A. In essence we got the Gobert trade for Mitchell too. The only reason I have hesitation is whether or not we could have gotten even more from NYK.

MIN 25 = CLE 25
MIN 26 swap = CLE 26 swap
MIN 27 = CLE 27
MIN 29 < CLE 29 (Cleveland pick is unprotected, MIN is top 5 protected)
MIN 23 #22 pick in 2022 draft(Walker Kessler) < #14 pick in 2022 draft(Ochai Agbaji)

Patrick Beverley
Jared Vanderbilt
Malik Beasley
Leandro Bolmaro

vs

Collin Sexton
Lauri Markkanen

So if we were elated by the Gobert trade, I have no idea why we wouldn't be about this one... This is a pretty amazing return and fits our priorities and goals in the short and the long term.

The way you broke down the picks is interesting and I tend to agree. The players we got in the Donovan trade blow away the players from the Rudy trade though. Not even close.