Grayson Allen 2nd Season

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Saint Cy of JFC, May 25, 2019.

1. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Since I'm incredibly fed-up with talking about free agency, let's talk about Grayson Allen.

By several metrics he was one of the worst players in the NBA last year, but he did have two good games to end the season. I completely forgot about them until today with so much discussion being focused on free agency.

Can Allen have a successful 2nd season as a rotation player? Or is he just a bum who cant play defense?

LoPo and Hekate like this.
  2. cowhide

cowhide Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No i don't think he is a bum. I think offensively he is an NBA player. He can create his own shot and his passing is underrated. He has NBA athleticism too. I don't think his defensive is as bad as others say. He showed improvement late in the year. However, he has to be more consistent and continue to put in the work defensively to get playing time. His second year will depend a lot on who the Jazz bring back. I personally think he is going to be a contributor if he gets minutes.

David Hume, jazzETX and LoPo like this.
  3. zyzz

zyzz Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    I think he has much higher upside than people think. He got to his spots really well last season, but had trouble finishing the play. Also had trouble finishing at the rim, especially through contact, which is normal for a rookie. His on ball defense also wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but his off ball defense needs some work. Gets caught ball watching and loses his man sometimes. I think he will be a consistent rotation player this season.

jazzETX and Eenie-Meenie like this.
  4. Udidthizz

Udidthizz Member

Apr 24, 2019
    I’m choose to be carelessly optimistic. He’s shown he can score. He was learning to play defense. So I say he’ll be part of the rotation and average 10ppg or so. Don’t quote me on this in the future...

Revolution 9 likes this.
  5. homeytennis

homeytennis Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    He was also injured for awhile with a high ankle sprain and I believe at the end of the year he was just getting back in shape.

jazzETX and fishonjazz like this.
  6. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Ooooffff

People be reading waaaayyyy too much into those two games imo.

For the rest of the nba season he looked at least a step slower both offensively and defensively than everyone else. Like a deer caught in headlights despite being older than most (maybe all) rookies. To me he looks like Mo Almond II/Quincy Lewis II.

Hope I’m wrong...

7. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    Who has a better season: Grayson or Exum?

8. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    CJ Miles part deux

9. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    Grayson. He ain't ded.

Stars Fan and Ostertag>Duncan like this.
  10. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Grayson, as hell probably stay healthy. He’ll probably give us about as much production as Exum but at least he’ll be healthy enough to run up and down the court a few times.

Exum is a complete and utter bust. And it comes at a time that we desperately need a second guy. If he could’ve just given us Monta Ellis like production imagine how different things would’ve been...

11. NUMBERICA

NUMBERICA Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    He'll be worth the money he's being paid. I can't say with confidence much beyond that.

I think he shows some promise.

12. gregbroncs

gregbroncs Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I have hope for him. He has NBA athleticism and I think he's got an NBA game. He needs to take a big step forward if he wants to be a rotation player. That said I think he's got a good chance.

jazzETX likes this.
  13. latin jazz

latin jazz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Quoted and saved for future reference.

To the OP. Allen can become a useful rotation player. His defense was atrocious at the beginning of the season and then progressed slowly to become, let's say, bad. He has excellent form in his shot and has shown some playmaking ability.

14. Hekate

Hekate Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2012
    If he can follow a crossover, he can play but he has one of the slowest reactions go change of directions and speed I have ever seen. I don't think it's just foot speed. If he can fix that, he has the skillset to carve a role but it's also one of the hardest things to fix so I don't know.

NAOS likes this.
  15. LoPo

LoPo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Depends on minutes. If he got consistent minutes, I think he could help our often stagnant offense. If he doesn't play, he won't have a chance to develop into what we need from him.

I'm kind of hoping we lose Rubio, Korver, and maybe even Neto so we are forced to give him minutes.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

jazzETX and fishonjazz like this.
  16. yamers

yamers Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    If he can play defense he can play.

Thats his problem,

His defense is so bad that he struggled to have any impact if his shot wasnt falling.

17. Knowledgeofmine

Knowledgeofmine Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2017
    good point about two games. I remember me great Paul McPherson had a fifty point game and he still ended up in streets of Chicago selling drugs. Two games is way to small a sample size. I also think people overrated his athleticism just because he won a dunk contest in HS. He is laterally slow like you pointed out. His best bet to get minutes and not be out of the league next contract time is to become a spot up shooter. Give effort on d, improve ball handling and play making ability.

The Thriller likes this.
  18. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    His on-ball defense was absolutely atrocious. Not sure what you were seeing. I was shocked by how bad it was.

19. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I see nobody has mentioned the huge need for him to get a lot stronger. So, add that.

His defense was so bad that I'm definitely shading toward pessimism. But I still think it's within the limits of possibility that he becomes serviceable on that side of the ball. His offense can/will help the bench if he can stay on the floor.

20. Jingled

Jingled Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

May 23, 2018
    As much as Lindsey and Snyder value defense it's still surprising to me that they drafted someone who's so awful at it. We could definitely use his offense though so hopefully his defense can improve to the point that he can be in the rotation eventally.