What's new

Greg Miller vindication thread

Rate Greg as an owner

• Total voters

freakazoid

Regardless of anyone's opinion of him as a person, this guy deserves props as an owner. No doubt, there will always be people who nitpick every move that is made, and complain about not spending enough money and such. There will always be those who wish for the team to be sold to someone who has deeper pockets. Well, Deron Williams found out the hard way that deep pockets don't count for spit without smart management.
-
For those wishing for different ownership, careful what you wish for. Brooklyn and New York have proven that too much money can actually be a curse because management doesn't worry so much about spending wisely. Sacramento is a nightmare scenario, with an owner who understood absolutely nothing about the relationship between his coach and best player, and how it might affect his team when he ****ed with it. Can't even begin to imagine being a King's fan right now, with a team that was just starting to show a little promise, and a new owner to yank the rug out because he thinks he's smarter than people who actually know basketball.
-
Now, I'm sure there are those who will stick to their guns and point out that Utah still has a ways to go, but I wanted to give fans a chance to chime in before Utah blows up in the next few years. Utah has had great management for a long time IMO, and it appears to me that Greg will continue that trend. DL has taken some flak for Burke and for sitting on his hands, so it's only fair to give him props for his acquisition of Rudy Gobert for a 2nd round pick and cash. Wait, what, that can't be right, let me check again. Yep, 2nd and some cash. I believe DL has found the player that puts Utah back on the map, and he did it within his first year. Dumb luck? Maybe, but I believe in DL and expect him to have the team back in contention very soon. When you consider our GM and coach, I gotta feel pretty damn good about ownership and where this team is headed.

I think he's probably top 10. (with 0% chance of selling the team being his best attribute). He does have a caring heart and means well.

Peter Holt's definitely the best in the business, follow by Cuban and Arison.

I think he has figured out that he needs to let his GM and Pres run the Jazz. Smart.

I think he has figured out that he needs to let his GM and Pres run the Jazz. Smart.
Yes, he has. And Larry H. was often TOO passionate, although he did have the good sense to check himself a couple of times when he ALMOST fired Sloan.
I was a major critic of Greg for a couple of seasons, then I backed off as I saw he was letting his basketball people do their jobs and he stepped up a few times with the cash to keep players or buy picks.

So, from me to Greg: I was wrong and I apologize.

Greg Miller has been fantastic. Really really wish the Edmonton Oilers had an ownership 2% as awesome as the Utah Jazz. He's a gift to y'alls community.

I want to see how he will handle us becoming a contender, but so far so good.

I want to see how he will handle us becoming a contender, but so far so good.

He's paid the tax twice, so I'm not too worried. Utah is never going deep into the tax, but I'm guessing they'd be willing to go over by maybe 5 million or so when Utah is contending. Yep, I said when.;)

He's paid the tax twice, so I'm not too worried. Utah is never going deep into the tax, but I'm guessing they'd be willing to go over by maybe 5 million or so when Utah is contending. Yep, I said when.;)

I don't have a quote on hand, but I believe DL has said that Greg would be willing to do so when the time comes.

Basically this.

And he's signed off on some pretty radical, risky ideas (trading Deron Williams, letting the tank happen, etc.)

I don't have a quote on hand, but I believe DL has said that Greg would be willing to do so when the time comes.

Jazz will not be repeat offenders, but I think if some contracts overlap, Miller would be willing to pay the tax for a year. For example, if the Jazz have to max Gobert before a trade can be made to get rid of Kanter or Favors, he'd do it.

If I owned a team, there is no way in hell I'm letting someone else run the team.

I would just hire a little help for contract stuff, but I'd be picking the team.

If I owned a team, there is no way in hell I'm letting someone else run the team.

I would just hire a little help for contract stuff, but I'd be picking the team.

Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean everyone should.

Again, compared to his father Larry H Miller, I don't see how anyone could be contempt with Greg Miller. Larry wouldn't settle for a team out of the playoffs. You say "rebuild". I have been watching the Jazz rebuild for years. Larry H. Miller has got to be turning over in his grave. Greg is satisfied at building a team that goes nowhere. But Larry wouldn't settle for less and he wouldn't want the fans of the Utah Jazz to settle for less either.

Larry had the luxury of Stockton and Malone. Did he ever put enough talent around them to truly content? Not until it was too late. I think Greg has been more willing to take reasonable risk to build a long-term contender. He's setting a vision, and empowering smart people to do their jobs. Its pretty obvious that he takes pride in the Jazz. Just because he is not a cheerleader personality does not mean that he's clueless.