What's new

Gun control myths and info

Doesn't all the high end military grade automatic rifles also support semi-automatic mode so if you are like a Wilhelm Tell with a civilian AR-15, then you can also use a military grade assault rifle without problems assuming the semi-auto mode is enough for your purpose?
Yeah, pretty much. Semi-auto is a better way to use a gun 99% of the time.

Yeah, pretty much. Semi-auto is a better way to use a gun 99% of the time.
What is the point of having the full-auto mode on the military grade assault rifles assuming that 99% of the shots fired in a combat should be either by burst fire (a la 3 shots per pulling the trigger) and single shots? Or is the full-auto mode kind of a free feature when designing an assault rifle?
Even in somewhat realistic videogames the full auto seems to be useless :).

What is the point of having the full-auto mode on the military grade assault rifles assuming that 99% of the shots fired in a combat should be either by burst fire (a la 3 shots per pulling the trigger) and single shots? Or is the full-auto mode kind of a free feature when designing an assault rifle?
Even in somewhat realistic videogames the full auto seems to be useless :).
In the military sometimes you're firing in a defensive manner to keep the enemy down. Other times you're firing with a large number of other people into a large number of other people. Also, in the military you will often have essentially no limit on how much ammo is available, and cost is not a concern, so might as well just keep shooting.

But I heard something interesting about the experience of soldiers facing enemies with AK47s, after the first shot the rest almost always went high as the AK47 with it's much larger round had terrible muzzle rise in full auto.

I mean, we had over two hundred years before the second amendment was interpreted to guarantee a private right to gun ownership. It's certainly possible, likely even, it will be interpreted differently in the future. I wouldn't be so confident as to invoke Heller as the final word on the matter. It's not like Supreme Court decisions are unassailable.

So then, it appears that all that is needed to refute anti-abortion arguments from the right is to simply say "Roe v. Wade" and that will/should shut them up?

I love the not so soft bigotry in this video. He keeps repeating that "80% of gun violence is drug related" and then immediately references urban cities (New Orleans, Chicago) or showing black people. He literally does it every time. LOL - we get it proud boy.

And another thing, and the left is just as guilty of this: These hard cut videos consisting of snide remarks wrapped around the same factoids over and over - when did this become a representation of an actual intelligent rebuttal? Who are the dumbasses that are actually compelled by this?

It's like a number of thousands of videos on YouTube that purport to 'destroy' the opposing side (both right and left) that present arguments often out of context but certainly devoid of any nuance or recognition of the complexity of issue or the existence of legitimate counterarguments. ANY point, no matter how spurious, can be made to sound authoritative in such a setting.

If one only relied on YouTube videos, one could well find compelling evidence to believe in Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Zionist plotting, anti-vaxing, etc.

Then there are the cranks like our Jazzfanz pal who dares us to watch some random YouTube video and not be convinced by its airtight logic and argumentation, and attributes character failing to us should we deign to do so or fail to be convinced. All the while, anyone want to guess how much time he's spent on YouTube watching the many people who have, I'm sure, have well articulated counter-arguments to the arguments his YouTube heroes are making?

Arguments Refuted: 2A Was for Well-Regulated Militias: 4:53 2A Is Outdated: 10:38 2A Is Not an Unlimited Right: 15:33 Assault Weapons Ban/No Right to Own Any Gun That You Want: 17:00 You Don't Need an Assault Weapon: 24:00 High-Capacity Magazines: 24:47 No One Is Trying to Take Your Guns: 26:52 Hitler Didn't Take the Guns: 30:46 The Government Would Crush a Rebellion: 32:50 More Guns = More Gun Deaths: 35:11 Fewer Guns = Fewer Suicides: 37:08 Guns Are Rarely Used in Self-Defense: 38:10 It's Time to Talk About Guns: 39:03 GUN CONTROL NOW: 39:09 It's Not a Mental Health Issue: 39:12 We Restrict Liberty to Save Lives (Trevor Noah): 39:29 People Support Common Sense Gun Laws: 40:02 We Have a Mass Shooting Epidemic: 40:22

Arguments Refuted: 2A Was for Well-Regulated Militias: 4:53 2A Is Outdated: 10:38 2A Is Not an Unlimited Right: 15:33 Assault Weapons Ban/No Right to Own Any Gun That You Want: 17:00 You Don't Need an Assault Weapon: 24:00 High-Capacity Magazines: 24:47 No One Is Trying to Take Your Guns: 26:52 Hitler Didn't Take the Guns: 30:46 The Government Would Crush a Rebellion: 32:50 More Guns = More Gun Deaths: 35:11 Fewer Guns = Fewer Suicides: 37:08 Guns Are Rarely Used in Self-Defense: 38:10 It's Time to Talk About Guns: 39:03 GUN CONTROL NOW: 39:09 It's Not a Mental Health Issue: 39:12 We Restrict Liberty to Save Lives (Trevor Noah): 39:29 People Support Common Sense Gun Laws: 40:02 We Have a Mass Shooting Epidemic: 40:22

Fantastic timing.

Maybe you guys can explain to me why the government banning me from buying a machine gun is not unconstitutional. What happened to the absolute constitutional right to bear arms? It’s clearly unconstitutional. Why aren’t you fighting this?

Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, also known as "McClure-Volkmer"

13 democrat senators and only 2 republicans voted against this restriction and Reagan signed it into law.

Maybe you guys can explain to me why the government banning me from buying a machine gun is not unconstitutional. What happened to the absolute constitutional right to bear arms? It’s clearly unconstitutional. Why aren’t you fighting this?

Does it say in the Constitution what kind of arms you have the right to bear? If it don't specify then, well, you still have the right to bear arms just not the arms you want to bear.

Hell, maybe they were talking about sleeveless shirts? Who knows, that document was written long long ago.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Does it say in the Constitution what kind of arms you have the right to bear? If it don't specify then, well, you still have the right to bear arms just not the arms you want to bear.

Hell, maybe they were talking about sleeveless shirts? Who knows, that document was written long long ago.

Yeah I’m just not sure why those who say the second amendment gives them the right to a AR 15 don’t argue for the right to carry a Uzi. Or a RPG. Seems like it is about where we draw the line. And not about an absolute right to any weapon. But the gun nuts have never given me sensible answer or argument.

Why stop there? Many notable Republicans and even one republican presidential candidate says we should arm kindergarten children! What better way to protect a school than with kindergarten kids with machine guns. Or excuse me, maybe it’d be better to arm them with semi-autos? Either way, America!

The fact that these guys couldn’t figure out they were being pranked just goes to show how insane the gun debate has become.

To me, as european, listening to the guys against guns control is like listening to some jungle people claiming that cannibalism is their tradition and there is no reason they should renounce it. It s a state of mind you just can't reason with. You treat constitution like a Bible, and second amendement like the words of Holy Spirit. I have impression that in that madness of denying the obvious someone will eventually come with the idea to legalise automatic weapons as the best solution against the mass shooting because it's clear good guys lack more firepower to stop the bad ones.

In America, guns represent more than just the second amendment. It’s a way of identifying oneself as a “manly male.” Through toxic advertising from the NRA (national rifle association) gun manufacturers have found a way to tie one’s manhood to guns. This gives them more money to spend on both more yachts, clothes, luxurious vacations, and of course, politicians.

And

And

The population that typically gets duped into wasting small fortunes on guns are those struggling to adjust to the new 21st century economy. States with the most guns tend to also be states struggling with deindustrialization and with opioid addiction. It’s their way of promoting “manly white identity” (most gun owners are white males, most gun violence is committed by white males, and white males use guns as their #1 method of suicide) in a century that is clearly leaving them behind.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a good idea to politicize gun control. A tyrannical government can emerge from both sides, ironically making the 2nd amendment the one tool that unites the people the most in this country.

Great read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/02/texas-republicans-just-dont-get-it/

Republicans’ collapse in the Texas suburbs — which is a major factor in making the state competitive — will only accelerate with its defiant attitude on any gun-safety measure. (Of suburban voters in the recent Quinnipiac national poll, I recently noted, “Among those voters, 96 percent favor background checks, 62 percent favor an assault weapons ban, 82 percent favor red flag laws, and 85 percent support gun licensing.”) Republicans’ intransigence in the face of the state’s second mass shooting in less than a month will only make matters worse for a party struggling to avoid alienating a key component of winning Republican coalitions in the past.

If Texas goes blue, it won’t matter what happens in Florida or Pennsylvania.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to politicize gun control. A tyrannical government can emerge from both sides.

It’s been politicized for years. Those who advocate sensible gun control to make our society safer are called weak, anti-constitutional, and face NRA funded opposition.

It’s been politicized for years. Those who advocate sensible gun control to make our society safer are called weak, anti-constitutional, and face NRA funded opposition.

Would sensible (more like sensitive) gun control make us safer from say, a Trump administration gone full dictatorship? Both you and I know he would drool at the idea of becoming a dictator the likes of Kim Jung.