What's new

Gun Control

I'll repeat what I said earlier in another thread...

Sick people will find a way to do harm no matter the rules. Enacting stricter, more aggressive gun laws will only infringe on the rights of those who own and use them responsibly. Criminals circumvent the law. It's not rocket science!

I don't quite agree with this argument for a few reasons; while I think that someone who wants to commit violence will find a way, I don't think that giving him/her the option of using a gun is a good idea. Guns are an extremely efficient way to kill people and while other methods of killing people are also efficient (bombs, knives, etc.) why is it that we don't hear about those kinds of attacks more often? My opinion is this is because guns are just the best option. They are easy to hide, require little mechanical skill to operate, and are super effective at killing people.

Just hope you're not in the area when they decide to enforce their turf.

I would imagine that the risk of being killed by crossfire from Yakuza in Japan is probably lower than being killed by a civilian in a gun society. Besides, if I were in Japan and Yakuza did commence in a shootout where I was - and I had a gun - the last thing I would do is start trading shots with them.

Whats more likely we can control/fix err how ever you want to put it, Guns or mental health?

The answer to this question is mental health.

The article about gun control in Japan is all fine and dandy, but it's easy to control something nobody has. Does anyone have an idea how many guns are in America? I'll give you a hint: there are more guns than people.

Instituting radical gun control at this point is futile. I'm with Stoked, we need to be more diligent with the safeguards we have right now. But I agree with him on another point: guns aren't the problem. Spoons don't cause obesity, and bikinis don't cause skin cancer. Guns don't cause violence. They are merely an accessory, and symptom of the problem.

We need to be more concerned about what is acceptable as entertainment, how we treat each other, and the example we set to our children. Everyone is so angry and impatient. That tension builds, and eventually something's gotta give.

Im in the opposing....seriously start giving teachers guns...or have a security guard at each school ALL the time. It wouldn't even be that expensive to just hire one more employee.

But seriously I just think teacher needs to start carrying weapons. Just like how Pilots now do since 9/11.

Im not looking for attention, but I havent seen anyone comment on the technology issue I talked about. I think it has some merit and I believe that we will head in that direction. I believe guns will eventually all be activated by hand print technology. Of course all the old guns will still exist but I think we can gather up the majority of them and also change the ammunition technology so that they will become useless. People will probably still have old ammo, but it is a process I think overtime will eliminate all the old stuff all the way down to a very small percentage.

I don't quite agree with this argument for a few reasons; while I think that someone who wants to commit violence will find a way, I don't think that giving him/her the option of using a gun is a good idea. Guns are an extremely efficient way to kill people and while other methods of killing people are also efficient (bombs, knives, etc.) why is it that we don't hear about those kinds of attacks more often? My opinion is this is because guns are just the best option. They are easy to hide, require little mechanical skill to operate, and are super effective at killing people.

Because they're not as horrific as stuff like this & because they happen too often to garner this type of attention.
'
I didn't mention at the time but I know the guy who was stabbed in the head with a knife a few months back after the guy attacked another man. They were saved by a concealed carry permit holder brandishing his weapon.
'
Around that time, a woman in Oklahoma saved her two babies from two home intruders by pulling out the family handgun & shooting the first guy through the door.
'
Who in here has the nerve to place zero value on the lives of these victims over those who lost their lives in this heinous attack today? It is a two way road.

Im not looking for attention, but I havent seen anyone comment on the technology issue I talked about. I think it has some merit and I believe that we will head in that direction. I believe guns will eventually all be activated by hand print technology. Of course all the old guns will still exist but I think we can gather up the majority of them and also change the ammunition technology so that they will become useless. People will probably still have old ammo, but it is a process I think overtime will eliminate all the old stuff all the way down to a very small percentage.

How does technology save us from psychopaths making illegal guns, the black market, someone with no history of illness suddenly losing it, etc?

I understand, but I'm just not sure you ever solve evil.

Im in the opposing....seriously start giving teachers guns...or have a security guard at each school ALL the time. It wouldn't even be that expensive to just hire one more employee.

But seriously I just think teacher needs to start carrying weapons. Just like how Pilots now do since 9/11.

Some type of security is a must I think. This school actually had a system where you would have to be buzzed in, but it wasnt activated until 9:39 am. It should have been all day. At the beginning of school you would have to just have security at the door while you get everyone in. Or something to that effect. They had the right idea it just had flaws.

Some type of security is a must I think. This school actually had a system where you would have to be buzzed in, but it wasnt activated until 9:39 am. It should have been all day. At the beginning of school you would have to just have security at the door while you get everyone in. Or something to that effect. They had the right idea it just had flaws.

Everything has flaws, period. Nuke the world and it's all solved. Until then, evil finds a way. You can't outrun the devil, which, in my mind, proves the existence of God. I hope.

From the little information we have, I believe this would possibly have saved these innocent children from terror today. I'm speculating that the teachers and administrators who lost their lives did so by getting in the way of a maniac with two guns and a bullet proof vest. They're heroes, and could have been more effective with guns.

How does technology save us from psychopaths making illegal guns, the black market, someone with no history of illness suddenly losing it, etc?

We just would have to get real strict on black market sales and anyone caught with in illegal weapon. Like life in Prison with no parole and no exceptions. We should already have that for a lot of our crimes. We are way too soft at times. If we did that. It would really make people think twice about carrying illegal weapons.

Like I said before. Im not for taking away gun rights, but we clearly arent doing a good enough job of preventing these things. Im not down with just throwing our hands in the air and saying its impossible to fix. Im just trying to search for answers.

Illegal guns? Bro, I know chemistry majors who boil up TNT any time they want to blow up a toilet in the west desert......I can get a job at the factory making components for mine explosives tomorrow.
'
This is the point where One Brow says something about time getting in the way of evil plotting. Point taken. But that doesn't stop violent individuals without a defined mental illnes.

Illegal guns? Bro, I know chemistry majors who boil up TNT any time they want to blow up a toilet in the west desert......I can get a job at the factory making components for mine explosives tomorrow.
'
This is the point where One Brow says something about time getting in the way of evil plotting. Point taken. But that doesn't stop violent individuals without a defined mental illnes.

You got my point, I know.

Just to be clear, based on some of the remarks I've received from my previous comments, I'm not advocating a no-guns society. I was simply using Japan as an example in which gun control works.

My actual thoughts are these: gun control works, but the real question is are you willing to give up your right to bear arms for increased safety? I'll admit that I don't buy the argument that we need to arm everyone to have a truly safe society.

Overall I think Bronco70 had the most sensible response, instituting complete gun control isn't a reasonable option at this point. We need to think about what are practical steps we can take to ensure safety from violence for people.

Just to be clear, based on some of the remarks I've received from my previous comments, I'm not advocating a no-guns society. I was simply using Japan as an example in which gun control works.

My actual thoughts are these: gun control works, but the real question is are you willing to give up your right to bear arms for increased safety? I'll admit that I don't buy the argument that we need to arm everyone to have a truly safe society.

Overall I think Bronco70 had the most sensible response, instituting complete gun control isn't a reasonable option at this point. We need to think about what are practical steps we can take to ensure safety from violence for people.

FWIW, I didn't take your comments that way at all. Your reputation counts for something as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually disgusted by this topic altogether right now and only responding as a divergence to my thoughts. I don't give a **** about gun rights at the moment. I'm disturbed.

FWIW, I didn't take your comments that way at all. Your reputation counts for something as far as I'm concerned. I'm actually disgusted by this topic altogether right now and only responding as a divergence to my thoughts. I don't give a **** about gun rights at the moment. I'm disturbed.

I feel you man.

'

Not everyone is a chemistry major. Ya, you can find it on the internet but it might mean the difference in whether or not the purp has time to reconsider. It also wont be as easy to pull off. Going through all that trouble just might set off the alarms and put up red flags and maybe someone could stop it before it happens. With guns, all it takes is for the guy to flip one day and make a hasty decision. All that other stuff takes extensive planning.

Truthfully I have never cared one way or the other about gun rights. This is the first time I have ever engaged in the conversation. Im just as disturbed as you, thats why I thought maybe its time to start thinking about this.

I dont know when is the time to talk about it. Should we all just wait til this passes and we dont care as much anymore. Then it happens again???

I dont man. This is just some ****ed up ****.

Not everyone is a chemistry major. Ya, you can find it on the internet but it might mean the difference in whether or not the purp has time to reconsider. It also wont be as easy to pull off. Going through all that trouble just might set off the alarms and put up red flags and maybe someone could stop it before it happens. With guns, all it takes is for the guy to flip one day and make a hasty decision. All that other stuff takes extensive planning.

Shut the **** up and use your brain. Turn it on right now.
'