What's new

Happy Birthday Adrian Dantley

Great sports trivia question:

In 1977 all the Rookie Of The Year winners in the three major sports had the initials A.D..
Name them.

And be a man. Don't Google it. My God, given the nature of this thread one of them is kind of obvious.

Spoilers if people are trying to guess:

In MLB it was Andre Dawson

No idea in football.

That is a great trivia question, by the way. I love those kinds of historical coincidences. Like how the first two California/Los Angeles Angels to win Rookie of the Year had the last names (Tim) Salmon and (Mike) Trout. There’s something fishy going on down there.

Last edited:
Football is a trick I think. The player has a nickname....

Yes, and that's what makes it a great trivia question. You don't just have to know it, you also have to think outside the box.

The three 1977 Rookie Of The Year winners who all had the initials A.D. are:
NBA - Adrian Dantley
MLB - Andre Dawson
NFL - Tony Dorsett (real name Anthony Dorsett)

Yes, and that's what makes it a great trivia question. You don't just have to know it, you also have to think outside the box.

The three 1977 Rookie Of The Year winners who all had the initials A.D. are:
NBA - Adrian Dantley
MLB - Andre Dawson
NFL - Tony Dorsett (real name Anthony Dorsett)
Here’s something that makes it even more interesting. I just looked it up on Wikipedia. The 1977 offensive ROTY in the NFL was
“Anthony” Tony Dorsett
The defensive ROTY in the NFL that same year? His name was
A.J. (Anthony Joseph) Duhe
also an A.D. That is crazy.

Here’s something that makes it even more interesting. I just looked it up on Wikipedia. The 1977 offensive ROTY in the NFL was
“Anthony” Tony Dorsett
The defensive ROTY in the NFL that same year? His name was
A.J. (Anthony Joseph) Duhe
also an A.D. That is crazy.
Well, the NFL Rookie Of The Year was part of the question I asked.
Interesting about the defensive Rookie of the Year, but it would be too much (and nonsensical) to ask for the defensive Rookie Of The Year in the original question.

The original as is is a darn good question:
The three 1977 Rookie Of The Years in the three major sports all shared the same initials: A.D. Name them..

I have a few of these type sports trivia questions.

I can give another great outside the box trivia question.

Name the four Alou brothers in Major League Baseball.
I only recall three Alou brothers. They are:

Felipe, Matty and Jesus

Was there another brother? One of them had a son named Moises who was a reasonably good second generation player. Cant recall any others.

I only recall three Alou brothers. They are:

Felipe, Matty and Jesus

Was there another brother? One of them had a son named Moises who was a reasonably good second generation player. Cant recall any others.

It's actually a trivia/joke question. That's what makes it so great. If you want the answer, look below:

Name the four Alou brothers in MLB.

Matty Alou
Felipe Alou
Jesus Alou
Boog Powell - Boog changed his name. Would you want to go through life as Boog Alou?)

And maybe this is rare Dantley, Dawson, Dorsett are all in Hall of Fame for their sport
I think that is true but not sure

For me, Adrian Dantley is the biggest “what if” in Utah Jazz history. The dude had seasons averaging 30+ points for the Jazz, but was a bit of a malcontent. when Karl Malone arrived in Utah and started flourishing, he got even more disgruntled and Frank Layden wanted him outta town because he was worried that he would become too much of a locker room cancer.

Going off of memory here, but it really seemed liked Layden and the Jazz F.O. developed an “either or” attitude with Malone and Dantley, when in fact, Layden should have been selling Dantley on the fact that there was enough ball to go around if Dantley could have accepted a full time Small Forward role.

Our starting line-up would have been:

PG- Stockton
SG- Griffith
SF- Dantley
PF- Malone
C- Eaton
6th Man- Thurl

That team doesn’t take the Showtime Lakers to 7 games and lose, they beat their asses in 6 and most likely win multiple rings at the front end of Stockton and Malone’s careers. Would have been damn near a dream team.

Mailman looked up to AD as a rookie . I think Adrian was a great teacher at first but not sure he was ready to pass the torch yet.
Losing Dantley for a Tripucka who fit in WORSE was what hurt the team. Kelly could not work in a structured offense with limited shots, after run and gun freestyle Detroit. Plus he just couldn’t make shots in Utah.