What's new

Hayward - after 2 more seasons can opt out - due to DL gambling and losing....

ijazz

Real curious what GH does.

For arguments sake, let us say Hayward has peaked. (20/5/4) type player which is fringe all-star.

Jazz are just clicking, I expect to make the playoffs next year (maybe 7 or 8 seed)

The following year, maybe a 5/6 seed.

Now, Gtime can opt out.

Wonder if he will but remain with the Jazz. Be real curious. The obvious reason for the opt out is if he keeps his numbers, he can get paid even more.

1st world problems....It's good to be G.

As a side note, this summer will be real interesting. I am a HUGE chemistry guy. From Owner--> GM--> Coach--> Players, wins championships. Seems like we have finally laid down a foundation.

My litmus test on anyone we get is to not screw up our chemistry. This is Haywards & Goberts team IMO. (Favors a tier 2 player).

EVERYBODY else is expendable/trade-able to make this happen

DL didn't gamble and lose. At the beginning of free agency, he made it clear that he was going to resign Hayward. That max contract that he signed was designed by Charlotte not Utah. Also, yes he can opt out which he will because that is when the new cap will hit and he can get much more money. The good news is the cap goes up for everyone, so the Jazz can resign him if he is in fact still in his prime. If Hayward is still balling in 4 years, i'm not worried at all about keeping him.

I'm not the biggest fan of always letting players go get offers then just matching. The other teams always put in unfavorable terms to try and get the player away. Millsap's structuring by Portland sucked, obviously Matthews' didn't turn out too well, Gordon got a shorter deal than he may have signed otherwise, etc.

My point was rumor was Hayward wanted 4/50.

We also could have went 5/65.

I'm just saying his gamble did not pay off.

I would also think Haywards decision will be based on if we are winning. Once you have that much money, I would think you would want to win.

If I were him, that would be the only reason to leave, to get to a contender. (Hopefully we are there by then and makes it a no brainer)

I'm happy Indiana already has Paul George. Little worried that he might go rejoin Brad Stevens in Boston, but if the Jazz are winning I don't think he'll leave.

I'm happy Mr McGibblets posted

There are a lot more things to worry about then this. Hayward just signed his contract and people are already worrying about whether he will opt out. Geez!!!!

Lol, "dont sign Hayward, its too much!!". *6 months later* "DL blew it when he didn't sign Hayward for longer!"

What was wierd is many of the Hayward max dissenters were also arguing he would just opt out and make a ton more money... It was puzzling because if he didn't live up to the deal why would he opt out and get a ton more.

I think we will keep him he seems happy. Where is his wife from?

I think it was good that DL let him play the market instead of giving him what he originally wanted. Teams courting him and throwing max offers had to have done wonders for his confidence. Especially after getting cut from team USA. If he signed that 4 year 50 million deal or whatever that he wanted, he could have only performed to that. Give him confidence and a chip on his shoulder, and the max he signed isn't enough!

Don't forget Hayward would be opting out under a new CBA. We don't know what revisions to max player contracts and bird rights will be made, which will have a huge bearing on his decision.
All we can do is keep improving and quietly develop Rodney in case of the worst.

Don't forget Hayward would be opting out under a new CBA. We don't know what revisions to max player contracts and bird rights will be made, which will have a huge bearing on his decision.
All we can do is keep improving and quietly develop Rodney in case of the worst.

I don't think Rudy's development has been quiet. That's just not happening.

Hayward has a potential superstar center and a potential superstar point guard on his team, two great friends in Evans and Ingles (and I suspect we'll keep both, or potentially bring Evans into a front office job), a great relationship with his likely All Star power forward, and a coach who - while it isn't Brad Stevens - is one he really likes and respects. He's also seen first hand what happens, more often than not, when players leave in free agency - he had a front row seat to the D-Will experience. I'm sure he's watching what's happening in Charlotte this season. And he, for the forseeable future, is the leader of the squad. And he likes Salt Lake.

In other words, I have absolutely zero concern that he's even thinking about leaving. He knows what we're building and what he's got here.

Utah made the right decision with Hayward, in spite of the way it worked out. The odds were in their favor, and they just happened to go against them anyway. Also, Hayward will opt out, but I think he'll re-sign as long as the team is doing well, which is looking pretty good right now. Definitely not a given, however, because he'll be eligible for a true max, which may be an iffy call yet again.

I'm not the biggest fan of always letting players go get offers then just matching. The other teams always put in unfavorable terms to try and get the player away. Millsap's structuring by Portland sucked, obviously Matthews' didn't turn out too well, Gordon got a shorter deal than he may have signed otherwise, etc.
Can you imagine the OUTRAGE on this board had Lindsey given Hayward a max deal on July 1st? Or how about a $14M/per deal the previous October 30th?
Many on this board were claiming he was worth around $8-$10M. Hindsight is always great.

Utah made the right decision with Hayward, in spite of the way it worked out. The odds were in their favor, and they just happened to go against them anyway. Also, Hayward will opt out, but I think he'll re-sign as long as the team is doing well, which is looking pretty good right now. Definitely not a given, however, because he'll be eligible for a true max, which may be an iffy call yet again.
Yep, I agree. He really needs to take a step up again to be worth $20M. If not, Hood, Burks and a future pick (maybe this years?) might be our wing rotation. WE can't pay everyone and right now, I'd say Rudy is priority #1 and Derrick #2. Wings are generally much easier to find than dominant bigs.

Hayward didn't look as good last year as he does this year. It was hard to justify a max contract. He certainly looks worth it now.

It is what it is. At least we matched and he lived up to it.