What's new

Hayward in Crunch Time

akirac73

With 6:58 left in the 4th, Jazz trailing by 2, Hayward enters the game in place of Alec Burks.
He shoots 1-5 (only basket was a layup) and misses one of 2 from the FT line.
So this is the dude that is supposed to be the face of the franchise and lead the young Jazz core into the future? Yeah, it's only one game, but we've seen this script over and over again. I'm sorry, I just don't see this so called "superstar/all-star" potential in him. He just flat out sucks in crunch time. Certain players shine when the pressure is on (even scrubs like Robert Horry and Derrick Fisher fit the bill) but Hayward folds like origami when the heat is on. Leave it to Corbin to draw up a play to have Mr. Unclutch take the final shot of the game.
And please, for the love of "God" (both the real one and #20) please stop with the Jeff Hornacek comparisons...that's just wrong on so many levels. If we're talking about ex-Jazz players, how about a Hayward - Bobby Hansen comparsion...both wore #20 and were great role players.

I hear you, but I'm giving him a slight pass this time. He had been on the bench for ages due to foul trouble while guarding Durrant, so there's that. IDK if the right answer was to bring him back earlier, not bring him back at all all, or do exactly what they did.

I did joke that he should come in tomorrow with his tail between his legs and sign the extension the Jazz offered.

The post seems a little over the top, but it is worth noting that Corbin - who is coaching for his life right now - didn't want Hayward handling the ball down the stretch. He actually tried to put him and his team in a position to succeed and it didn't work.

I did joke that he should come in tomorrow with his tail between his legs and sign the extension the Jazz offered.

I can see it now...

GH: Hi Mr. Lindsey, about that contract extension offer...I gave it some thought and I'm ready to sign.
DL: Sorry kid, that offer expired, but I'd be glad to propose a new offer...how does 4 years $32M sound?

LOL.

I hear you. Now... be a bit fair as well. Two key steals, and did great work facilitating.

Did you notice that Durant had some bad possessions closing the game? Near air ball of the front of the rim and a couple of turnovers? Looks like even the great ones can have a bad night too.

That being said, I think Hayward will not be a driving closer. He's going to be a jump shot closer. We need Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks and a point guard who can actually play to close the games.

I hear you. Now... be a bit fair as well. Two key steals, and did great work facilitating.

Did you notice that Durant had some bad possessions closing the game? Near air ball of the front of the rim and a couple of turnovers? Looks like even the great ones can have a bad night too.

That being said, I think Hayward will not be a driving closer. He's going to be a jump shot closer. We need Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks and a point guard who can actually play to close the games.

I would switch out Hayward with Harris. That dude played a great game last night. I too was unimpressed with Hayward last night. Not just down the stretch but overall. 4 of 13 just isn't going to cut it...

I would switch out Hayward with Harris. That dude played a great game last night. I too was unimpressed with Hayward last night. Not just down the stretch but overall. 4 of 13 just isn't going to cut it...

Don't be silly. Hayward on a bad night is still a better player than Harris. In the end Harris is just a marginal NBA guy who gave a great effort.

With 6:58 left in the 4th, Jazz trailing by 2, Hayward enters the game in place of Alec Burks.
He shoots 1-5 (only basket was a layup) and misses one of 2 from the FT line.
So this is the dude that is supposed to be the face of the franchise and lead the young Jazz core into the future? Yeah, it's only one game, but we've seen this script over and over again. I'm sorry, I just don't see this so called "superstar/all-star" potential in him. He just flat out sucks in crunch time. Certain players shine when the pressure is on (even scrubs like Robert Horry and Derrick Fisher fit the bill) but Hayward folds like origami when the heat is on. Leave it to Corbin to draw up a play to have Mr. Unclutch take the final shot of the game.
And please, for the love of "God" (both the real one and #20) please stop with the Jeff Hornacek comparisons...that's just wrong on so many levels. If we're talking about ex-Jazz players, how about a Hayward - Bobby Hansen comparsion...both wore #20 and were great role players.

I agree. we have this same conversation every year because Hayward is such a slow starter. He comes around about mid season and gives everyone hope for his future. I believe the future is now, he is a good not great roll player that can occasionally rise up. He has particularly good games when we are blowing a team out (that's not often). We should lower our expectations for Gordon and realize that he is not a superstar he is a good roll player.

Hayward was uncharacteristically cold last night. There has been games that he's been much more "clutch" (Miami game, Sacramento gem, Lakers game, etc).

Lets not jump to conclusions.

Hayward was uncharacteristically cold last night. There has been games that he's been much more "clutch" (Miami game, Sacramento gem, Lakers game, etc).

This is what I was thinking.

Looks like Hayward is becoming the new scapegoat of the team. Guess there always has to be one.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with Gordon was his chucking. He ran down, pulled up for a three without any passing at all. He kept trying to play hero ball and had the patience of a tinsy fly. If Gordon is our number one option, we(and him) will be in trouble. He may be a good 3rd or forth option. This season will expose him and he will be lucky to get any offers when his deal runs out.

My biggest complaint with Gordon was his chucking. He ran down, pulled up for a three without any passing at all. He kept trying to play hero ball and had the patience of a tinsy fly. If Gordon is our number one option, we(and him) will be in trouble. He may be a good 3rd or forth option. This season will expose him and he will be lucky to any offers.

It will "expose" him and the offers will come flooding in. Especially from contenders.

My biggest complaint with Gordon was his chucking. He ran down, pulled up for a three without any passing at all. He kept trying to play hero ball and had the patience of a tinsy fly. If Gordon is our number one option, we(and him) will be in trouble. He may be a good 3rd or forth option. This season will expose him and he will be lucky to any offers.

????

He consistently passed the ball away in crunch-time:

- Passing (VERY nicely, at that) it to JLIII for a corner three during transition, before JLIII subsequently travelling (even though he could've taken the shot
- Passing it to Burks in transition after one of his steals (even though he could've taken the shot)
- Passing it to Burks several times to initiate the offense, as the night came to a close.

Holy ****. I thought I had seen it all. Gordon Hayward being called a chucker? WTF?

Looks like Hayward is becoming the new scapegoat of the team. Guess there always has to be one.

I don't think anyone is saying he sucks, maybe we should just lower our expectations. this can't be surprising to anyone, he comes out flat every year.

The fact that you can name a few games where he was clutch proves that he is not clutch (this is pure Genius!!) What I mean to say is that if he was clutch he would always be clutch. I agree he has had games where he stepped up and had a very good game but this does not mean he was clutch.

The fact that you can name a few games where he was clutch proves that he is not clutch (this is pure Genius!!) What I mean to say is that if he was clutch he would always be clutch. I agree he has had games where he stepped up and had a very good game but this does not mean he was clutch.

Yeah clutch guys never just have a bad night. Nope, never.

At 10+ million, he is the scapegoat. At 8 million, he is beloved.

He is not good enough for a big deal. He is amazing at the right price.

Is Durant clutch? Then how come he went 3-12 from the field in the 4th, commiting numerous turnovers in the process

At 10+ million, he is the scapegoat. At 8 million, he is beloved.

He is not good enough for a big deal. He is amazing at the right price.

Seeing as right now he is at neither 8 nor 10 why tear him down? You cannot deny there has been a plethora of posts doing just that. Some good honest critique in there but alot of tear down as well.